Let's cook

Today we're making oxtail soup, Veeky Forums

We'll be using 2lbs of tail, an onion, some celeriac, parsley stems, garlic, three white peppercorns, some sherry and a bay leaf. Not pictured is the carrot I have to go buy.

I'll be posting in real time, so have a drink and bear with me.

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=bouquet garni
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oh, we'll be using green onions and a clove as well. Off to a good start.

Looks cool. Hows the texture of tail? Never tried it.

Onions and celeriac chopped, we can start browning the meat next.

>4.0MB

Not everyone here is using fiber optic m8, can you resize your images?

Parsley chopped for the freezer, and stalks cleaned.

Is my first time making it, based on a recipe from my mom.

Right, default settings on the camera. This might be better.

The best needs browning, a what better than a cast iron pot for the job?

Also this filesize might be even better.

Man, I haven't had ox tail in ages. Hope you enjoy!

>barely any garlic and barely any seasoning
Worried.

With onions & celeriac added the recipe calls for 1,5 litres (that's 50 oz. for statesfolk) of water. I had expected stock to be used, honestly.

That's up next. We'll add a clove, a bay leaf, some white peppercorn and garlic. Obviously salt as well. I might throw in some MSG as well, though the recipe obviously doesn't call for it.

Let's enjoy some teachnology in the meantime.

Spices added in a metal container for easy retrieval, because no one likes voting down on a bay leaf. This will have to simmer covered for 2-3 hours, so I'll talk to you all later.

>putting metal in your soup

lmgtfy.com/?q=bouquet garni

Lookin' good, OP. Looking forward to seeing the result. Also, can I replace the celeriac with just normal celery? And what about the sherry, what can I replace it with?
t. poorfag living in the middle of nowhere

I've heard chopped celery and potatoes can substitute celeriac in soups, though I imagine the taste would be milder. Not sure about the sherry, it gives a fairly distinctive taste. Oxtail used to be cheap, but prices have gone up recently due to becoming more popular. If you can get it cheap it's a great meat.

Like I said,
>Barely any seasoning
Panic.

Britchap here.

Oxtails and Oxtail soup are something many Brits have grown up with (I'm a country boy so I'm luckier than most)

I'm a bit concerned with your spices.

3 white peppercorns
1 Bay
1 clove

Seems a bit underdone to me.

Also you never added stock so at least you should have thrown in a stock cube or used cheap red wine.

I hope you are having the odd taste as it cooks, I have a feeling it will be underseasoned.

Any how . .. as you were!

Waiting with interest.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Picking up the missing carrot for now. It's cold.

Why is it so dark?

Where are you user?

Welcome to Sweden, where the sun sets at three PM during winter.

Lools like a bit of fat has started to rend here, I'll skim it once it's done.

>Welcome to Sweden,
Makes sense.
When you said "recipe from my mom." using the American spelling, I thought you may have been a Burger.

How's it tasting so far?

The taste is pretty conservative on spices as you said, but there's a lot of taste from the meat coming out. Apparently the next step is to take the meat out and keep it warm while filtering (if that's the correct word) the stock and adding fresh celeriac, carrot and green onions, finely chopped.

Green onions aren't really that popular in England, I'm surprised you used them (maybe they are used a lot in Sweden?)

If you have any Marmite (or vegemite) add a spoonful to the pot.

Is a fairly common ingredient. I should have used the green part in the stock though, and the white end in the soup. Oh well! Also adding some flour as thickener to the soup along with veggies.

Ahhhh I just checked What you call green onions, Americans call scallions and we Brits call them Spring Onions.

They tend to have a mild flavour and are just used for stir fries or eaten raw.

Reduce that pot . . .. . concentrate the flavour, Oxtail is usually a heavy and rich soup.

>I'm a bit concerned with your spices.

>3 white peppercorns
>1 Bay
>1 clove

>Seems a bit underdone to me.

You didn't notice the huge bag of MSG in There's your flavor.

Working on it now, and while the soup is boiling we'll cut the meat off the bones. Easier said than done though.

Maybe you rushed it?

It's best when the meat falls off the bones.

I don't use MSG, nothing against it but it's more suited to fast cooking stuff, like chinese stir-fry. It can't bring out a flavour that wasn't there to start with?

Looks good.
Keeping an eye on this

With the meat back in the pot we'll finish by seasoning it with a splash of soy (the Chinese kind), a couple tablespoons of sherry and a bit of tomato paste (apparently). Salt and pepper to taste.

Yeah, I could have given it another half hour maybe.

That last bit of seasoning was a good idea. Burnt my tone while tasting it though, ow.

Finished at last. I expected it to be somewhat thicker though, perhaps I should have reduced it more. I'll let you know how it turned out in a bit!

a lovely meal for you and your no mates

tables set for two. you better not be alone otherwise this would be depressing.

looks delish op, will prob make something similar next week

thanks for the thread

Looks good, but I agree that it should be a thicker consistency.

Koselig trĂ¥d. Tusen takk svenskebreder :)

pls no bully

No worries there mate

Great meal, though it definitely could have been thicker. A really rich taste, perfect for a snowy day like today. As for the recipe itself there are probably better alternatives to be honest, the spices left something to be desired as others commented. If you can get the meat for cheap I would definitely recommend trying it (and not just for getting an unusual cut), but at the overprice I paid for it at a deli it's not really worth it.

Thank you all for reading along and commenting on a hopefully lazy Sunday.

comfy thread 2bh, good work