Whisk(e)y thread.

Whatcha drinking?

Pic related, it's a beauty.

Other urls found in this thread:

thewhiskyexchange.com/p/28323/glenlivet-founders-reserve
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Dude it's only 11:30 am

So I'm drinking bulleit rye with water

Jack Daniels seems right up your pleb tastes, laddie.

Sorry, I'll delete my question and stop drinking whiskey

Don't be a baby, son.

Glenlivet is a speyside whisky, which are pretty well known for being mild and inoffensive scotches. If you really want to step up your game, try something bolder like a good Islay such as Laphroaig 10yo or Lagavulin 16yo.

If you want to play it safer and step up to something closer to Glenlivet, go for a highland whisky like Glenfiddich 15yo or Glenmorangie 10yo Original. Don't bother with Glenfiddich 12, it's so inferior as to be worthless.

That stuff is really good, had a bottle of it a few months ago. I opened up a bottle of Ardbeg 10 this week, it is incredible. I find myself having a dram or 2 most evenings now that it gets dark around 5pm. Which means I am pouring one soon...

Have been enjoying Bulleit bourbon too recently, £20 in Asda and worth every penny. Tastes better with a bit of ice as opposed to water I find.

What are some good sherried whiskies? I've been thinking about getting a bottle of glendronach 15, but prices aren't too friendly.

>Laphroaig 10yo or Lagavulin 16yo
I've been considering picking up one of these, but Lagavulin is about double the price of Laphroaig where I live. Is the difference really so great between the two?

Which one do you guys think is the better scotch?

Aberlour 10 is actually pretty good and it is cheap as fuck. Don't bother with Macallan Gold, it is way overpriced for what it is and not great.

Glendronach 12 is really good, and a bit less than the 15.

If the gap is that huge, get Laphroaig. I have the pleasure of getting Lagavulin for about $65, which is between $5 and $15 more than the cost of laphroaig for me.

Unfortunately, it really is. I can get Lagavulin for about £55, whereas I can get Laphroaig for about £25. I have no idea why the gap is so huge, but I've heard they're similar in taste anyway. I'd like the lagavulin, but the difference in price is a massive turn-off.

Going to be drinking Ardbeg 10 later, wasn't a fan of the Islay malts when I had my first glass of Laphroaig but that was a few weeks ago, yesterday though I received a bottle of Ardbeg and since then I am on the peat train.

My friend has a bottle of Laphroaig 21 she thinks is absolutely horrible and will give to me as well.

Worst / Best scotches you've had?

Dewars worst. Glenlivets Founders Reserve best.

Though I prefer bourbons much more.

>best
Lagavulin 16, easily. I was not expecting the iodine taste, but I was amazed at how well it complemented the peaty smoke.

>worst
Bell's or Grant's. I was experimenting with almost every bourbon I could get my hands on when I was in university, and my housemate bought me a bottle of Grant's for Christmas. I distinctly remember I was going through a bottle of Four Roses at the time, and by comparison, Grant's was like drinking a saw blade.

Teacher's was surprisingly good, though. I usually write off bottom shelf blends, but that one was a real dark horse.

Costco do Lagavulin for £45, but it is still a big gap. Make sure if you are getting Laphroaig to get the 10 and not the Select. It is ok, but not close to the 10.

They are quite different, Laphroaig is much more in your face if that makes sense. Try Laphroaig, and wait until Ardbeg 10 comes down to £35 on offer and get a bottle of that. It is more comparable to lagavulin than Laphroaig IMO.

the Caribbean cask is even better user

>Bell's or Grant's

Fuck that brings back bad memories. How anyone buys that shit I will never know. Even JW Red is drinkable in comparison

Funds were low this time around so I decided to pick up some Old Pulteney 12. Surprisingly good. You can really taste the "mariners whiskey" in it.

i can get a J&B for 10 euro and a Jack Daniels for 18 euro
Or a Lagavulin for 50 euro

Since I'm poor which one should i buy?

>just purchased a bottle for Highland Park 12

Looking forward to exploring single malts, been mainly drinking Black Label

10 euro and start saving.

>tfw you just finished your bottle of Ardbeg 10
>tfw somebody gave you a bottle of Black Label
>tfw Black Label tastes like toxic pig swill

Whiskey's been ruined for me, lads.

>le ebin single malt meme
Ralfy pls.

That's a great whisky, you will enjoy that. Let us know how you get on!

No.

Wow feel lucky I stumbled on this thread.

I'll preface this question by saying that I don't drink at all. Partied it up in college but realized it's not my thing and just haven't drank in years.

Alright - my stepmom went to Europe for a month and gifted me pic related. I think she forgot I don't drink so now I have this bottle of fancy limited edition whiskey and no idea what to do with it.

Would it be inappropriate for me to sell it to one of my coworkers? I certainly don't want it to go to waste but it's not doing anyone any good sitting in my cupboard and I don't want to just give it away since it's a pretty pricey bottle.

I suppose I could try to find something to cook it with? Any recipes you recommend?

Blends are fine if you're drinking Canadian or Japanese.

If you're drinking blended scotch, you're cheating yourself.

I agree Ralfy is a stubborn opinionated fuck tho

>pic related
Hate when that happens.

Fuck off ralfy is a treasure

sorry dude here it is

It wouldn't be inappropriate at all. If it's a fancy limited edition like you say, it deserves to be appreciated. You'd be doing the right thing by letting it pass into the hands of someone who'd enjoy it.

You shouldn't cook with good alcohol. Any nuance in the flavour you might get when you drink it won't carry over to whatever you cook; you'll only get the broad strokes of whatever flavour that kind of alcohol has. Just use cheap booze if you're gonna cook with it.

Holy shit son no don't cook with that

Pls don't cook with that user pls

Alright thanks anons. I really don't know anything about alcohol (or cooking with it, besides white wine). I'll talk to a few coworkers tomorrow and see if any are interested.

Ship it to me, I'll give you 40 dollars and I will appreciate it.

Just make sure you get the appropriate price for it. That's a £50 bottle.

Bulleit Bourbon for me. Pretty good stuff with a little bit more of a fiery burn than the rest.

Ever tried Bulleit Rye? It's good shit.

Had some of pic related last week before I got sick. Its kinda overpriced but pretty solid.
Glendronach 12 is pretty good. Also Aberlour A'bunadh is a fantastic bang for your buck cask stregnth sherrybomb.
Only Balvenie Ive ever had was the 12 Single Barrel and it was great
>best
Bowmore Laimrig, fantastic peat/sherry combo but sadly its out of production now.
>worst
For the money id say Springbank 15 is way too much. Worst overall would probably be Grant's, however the only blends I usually drink are Ballantine's (because it tastes like a cheaper Black Bush) and JWBlack (only mickeys because im not paying for a full bottle of that shit).
Also whats the tasting notes you got for the Glenlivet? Its always on sale here in Ontario and Ive been curious.
>single malt
>meme
>shitting on ralfy
Go back to /b/.
Hibiki is pretty good. If anything just keep it around for guests that appreciate it more then you do. Or if you'd be so kind send it to me so I can drink it up.
Bulleit is nice for the price, but I vastly prefer Buffalo Trace.

Thanks user.

Might try the Glenmorangie 10 next, but I prefer something with a little bit of kick.

Tempted to pick up Nikka From the Barrel, tried a glass and it was pretty decent.

>Glenmorangie 10
Nah don't, its a major waste of money and its watery as fuck, even worse then standard Glenfiddich/Glenlivet.
If you want a Glenmorangie go for their 46% bottlings.

Not that user but the whisky exchange has decent tasting notes for most of their stock.

thewhiskyexchange.com/p/28323/glenlivet-founders-reserve

>drinking whisky with ice

What's the best single malt for someone inexperienced with Scotch Whisky?

Anything else you'd recommend for entry level under ~£30?

Balvenie 12yo from OP's pic is good. It's the most comparable scotch to a bourbon I've ever had.

Glenlivet is a good jumping off point as well. Speyside scotches in general are pretty good entry whisky.

Johnnie Walker.

I think it's safe to assume he wants a good experience with scotch, user.

I don't exactly know how many bottles of this I've had...but it's good enough to get another.

These are both fantastic.

Pic related is one of my favorites

I've been really wanting to get more into irish whiskey. The only ones I've ever had are Jameson and Tullamore Dew, and the only other one I can readily get where I live is Bushmills which I've heard is garbage.

I'm just so poor I'm sorry.

The founders reserve was full bodied with nutty tannins and mildly sweet, very subtle on the citrus which I appreciate. Nice smoky finish that isn't in your face like black label for example. It's a sipping scotch for sure.

If anyone wants a picture from pic related about a specific whisky, let me know.

Rip pic related.

>pic related
Hate when that happens.

Let me give you a little bit of advice, user.

Always buy the best your money can get. If you're too poor for anything more than Johnny Walker, there's still alternatives that will blow a few more expensive whiskies out of the water. If you can get your hands on a bottle of Teacher's Highland Cream, you're made. That's good shit for less than the price of fucking Red Label.

I'm allergic.

Why are you here?

Johnnie Walker Red with 3 ice cubes...

I don't know a thing about whiskey, considering I have a Jim Beam bottle tattooed on me with the words "Hangin' out with Jim." I only know how to drink a lot of it.

What are some of the good 'classy' drink-some-now-and-then whiskeys?

Because I like whiskey.

>I have a Jim Beam bottle tattooed on me with the words "Hangin' out with Jim."

There's this great one called Clorox that comes in a neat white plastic jug. It'd be a good starting point for someone with your tastes.

but seriously if bourbon is your jam try bulleit or buffalo trace

Just ignore the toxic fucks

Consider the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Should be a bit more than the Laph 10, but way better. Lagavulin is my favorite of the three but Quarter Cask is a great deal too.

Never saw a bad review of a Glendronach, still need to try them though.

First time I had an islay I didnt know much about whisky and thought that shit was spoiled. To be 17 again... Fucking lucky on the 21yo too.

Best? No idea. I love Ardbeg Uigeadail, if I had to choose one Id go with that. Worst, definitely Grant's and Red Label as a close second.

I know right. I got a 1L bottle of Grant's and it was so bad I decided to shot it all in one go. It was horribly nasty but I got way drunk off of it.

"Surprisingly good" - Ralfy all day every day

If youre that poor, none.

I cant drink grain whisky anymore. See my Grant's experience above.

Hahaha

Just... dont cook with that. Keep it in case you learn to appreciate whisky some day.

Glenmorangie and Macallan are [the] overpriced brands. Ive yet to try a Macallan but the Glen is... alright? Dont have much to say on those. I think the bottles are terribly feminine though.

Nikka has way more kick, way higher abv. The prices around where I live are going up, not sure if its just here or everywhere.

Balvenie, see OP. Nice whisky with easily discernable tasting notes.

When I want to get drunk I get Jack Daniels and mix it with coke. Are you saying Teacher's is a good and cheaper replacement?

Just isn't worth it to off myself. Got too much energy to let it go to waste. :)

I was gonna buy Bulleit. The last time I gave it a shot I liked it, however for some odd reason I couldn't bring myself to buy it today. I have no idea why. I'd like to try any whiskey. Not too much into vodka or other spirits.

I drink mostly at bars, if that gives any sense of what kind of drinker I am. Thanks for the advice!

>Are you saying Teacher's is a good and cheaper replacement?
It might be. Quality may vary from bottle to bottle as it always does with the cheap blends, and it's a scotch so it's a very different beast from JD by nature. Still, it's easily the best cheap whisky by a landslide in my opinion, so it can't possibly hurt to give it a try, right?

One that spends too much on drinks!

I've got a flask I carry around with me now, at the bar I get one nice bourbon neat and throughout the night refill from the flask. Sorry, if you're going to charge 12 for the bulleit you can go get fucked.

Replying

To

Nearly

Every

In

A

Thread

Should

Be

A

Bannable

Offense

>and it's a scotch so it's a very different beast from JD by nature
Not like I get JD because its such a good drink, haha. Ill try it next time its on sale.

I dont give a fuck

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I think I pay mostly for the social aspect and such more than the alcohol. I live in Las Vegas, if I'm going to drink I may as well do it socially since all I have to do is throw a rock and find somewhere to go.

I don't know if I'd carry the flask around. That's pretty hilarious, though and I wouldn't fault you on it if I saw it. Probably just think you were some sort of genius.

My go to bourbon is bulleit now, but Buffalo trace is definitely value.

Try some Woodford reserve if you want to splurge, the double oak was godly. Also if you want -the- best bourbon experience under 100 get Bookers NOE. I fucking love it, but can't buy it regularly.

I'll give BT a shot next time I'm shopping for a bottle since that's the one I've never had. I had WR on a deployment a lot -- but us being plebs we mixed it with coke. And not even the fun stuff, either. I should give that shot again straight. I'll see if I can find any local LV distilleries and try some whiskeys out and let ya'll know if they're worth anything.

If I still went to bars, I would definitely do this. I'm only going to drink premium whiskey and with their exhorbitant and absurd markup, after 3 drinks I've fucking paid for the bottle. Screw that.

>What's the best single malt for someone inexperienced with Scotch Whisky?
highlands - north:spicy/full body south:light/fruity
speyside - most complex/sweet aromas/richest flavors
lowland - most light body
islay - peaty/strong flavors/briny/smoky
island - in between islay and highland
campbeltown - salt/brine/peat

Campbeltown: Springbank 10
Highland: Glendronach 12 (because the 15 is gone until 2018)
Speyside: Balvenie 12 DW
Lowland: Auchentoshan 12
Island: Highland Park 12 or Talisker 10
Islay: Ardbeg 10

>3 drinks
I thought you only went to bars to taste.

I just don't enjoy bourbon as much as scotch. Don't deport me.

ID WKDLFUXHRE FIJCBDBED

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Everyone gets something different out of different styles of whiskey. It's probably erroneous to even say "I prefer scotch" because of how vastly different the six different regions of scotch can be. You can hardly even compare speyside to islay.

Enjoy what you enjoy, my man.

Drinking Laphroaig 10YR.

Smokey as shit, fantastic for sipping.

Personally I like it on ice.

>Personally I like it on ice
boooooo

Off to pick up a new bottle today, narrowed it down to Old Pulteney 12 for £24, or Highland Park 12 for £25.

Any thoughts? Haven't had either in years but I remember them being good

My go to drink

Asked for my usual Christmas present today of a bottle of Lagavulin. Only time of year I don't feel guilty about getting one as a gift.

>drinking whisky

Cunt ass mother fucking posting system not posting my image.

>drinking ice

Went to NOLA and got some local New Orleans Rum and I bought HellCat Maggies Irish Whiskey. Pretty good stuff

My go to is Canadian Hunter for drunk and my favorite Whiskey of all is by far Jameson Limited, I can down Jameson all night.

nikka pls

picked up pic related last week.

this shit is god awful. only paid 30$ for it, but it tasted harsh and whack like teachers highland or other cheap blended whisky.

any of you guys recommend any scotch for a bourbon/rye drinker?

i usually drink george dickel 12, knob creek, evan williams bottled in bond

OP's pic related is the most bourbon-like scotch I've ever had. It's still different, but similar enough that it should bridge the gap well for someone branching into scotch.

So are Spirits one big meme, or do they ever start tasting decent?

I just finished one of these. I kept trying to have it neat, and I get hints of fruit and spice and all that, but it's overwhelmingly just an unpleasant boozy-alcohol flavour.

It went down really well with coke though.

You get used to them first. Then you start noticing more flavors. Then you enjoy the experience of the flavors.

Personally I don't like rum, and this is a whisky, scotch, bourbon thread.

I was thinking of getting Canadian Club next, that's why I posted here.

I clearly am not used to 40%+ yet. I can handle 20-30% (cordials), but spirits taste far too much of alcohol to be palatable, unless mixed.

I'll probably just have to get used to it.

A high alcohol content does pose a challenge to tasting. I know it's not uncommon to dilute 1/3rd water into a drink, in fact to nose (identify smells) some whiskeys it is recommended to cut down the alcohol.

You can do 1/3rd for 40-45% and twice that much for 60% or higher.

Now ideally you want to use water with low mineral content sourced from where the distillery gets theirs, though Scottish spring being great, or clean tap water otherwise.

Personally I just started drinking it straight, and my first bourbon was Wild Turkey 101, then Knobb Creek, and it was painful at start, and my mouth was usually numb before I could pick up all the flavors and characteristics. Now I can safely handle a 60% ABV.

Spirits, at least decent quality ones, are almost definitive examples of acquired taste. The only way you'll get used to them is repeated exposure.

I've been drinking bourbon for almost a decade now and I'm only just now getting a taste for single malt scotch. Don't forget that your palate constantly changes as you get older; you'll develop new tastes and lose interest in old ones all the time as the years go by. Appreciation of spirits tends to come with age and exposure.

I wonder what's in this box...

Seems to be pretty well packed

whiskey or dildo

Nice Fazoli's.

Is it dragon dildos?

Old Pulteney.