How to enjoy Sake?

How to enjoy Sake?

You cant, buy gin

Chilled, personally.

Can't do it hot.

It's a cozy way to unwind on a Friday.

I just bought some recently and I actually enjoy the taste. Is something wrong with me? I also drink gin straight.

Gin is gross though.

Fill a vase with boiling water, about half of it, dunk the bottle in it, wait for a while, then serve in tiny ceramic cups.

Some sake is meant to be served cold, some hot and some can go either way. The "rule" as I know it is serve hot sake with cold food and cold sake with hot food. And a Japanese friend told me not to drink it with rice, because that like having rice with your rice. I don't know if he was pulling my leg though.

I may be an anomaly but gin has never had an affect on my taste buds. I tastes like nothing. But I do like a cold sake.

What does gin taste like to you?

To me like water but with alcohol.

By leaving it on the shelf in the liquor store.

Good London dry gin usually has a prominent juniper berry and anise taste.

Pine trees.

Same.

The "rule" is that hot sake is just the lower grade stuff, as the heat masks impurities. Higher grade sake should be served slightly chilled.

This is wrong. Some sake is better warm and some is better cold. It will enhance the better flavors and mask the non pleasant flavors.

The best sake is served at room temperature.

I never used to like sake, because all I ever had, was sometimes some warm stuff with random sushi, or some stuff grabbed as a cooking "wine" for some recipies.
It always tasted like liquified cardboard with grain alcohol.
But out of a whim, I went to some hipster artisan sake maker for a tasting, had me some glasses of 20 - 40 $ stuff and holy shit, that stuff is good!
According to their marketing blurb, some of them where highly rated by some wine publication among the best white wines, and I can absolutely see how so.
As nuanced and complex as a good wine and nothing like the cheap cardboard shit.

you gotta do some ninja running first

at least for 10 minutes preferably with an appropriate headband

Is it supposed to taste like soggy white bread?

i tried that nigori brand sake a few times, not really all that, maybe it was just shit brand.
i would buy the pink bottle Nigori Sayuri

I had some of the ashy stuff and on impulse my mouth spat it back out. It didn't taste too bad I just didn't like the feeling. From what little I know of sake it was the worst of the three kinds. So maybe high quality, non-ash stuff is good.

Gotta find one you like man, I've had ones that taste like vodka and ones that taste like gin and all kinds of other spirits.

I find sake is like normal spirits but less pungent so I like it for drinking straight as opposed to drinking shots or something.

Soggy white rice

By cooking with it.

Added a few glugs to my stew earlier and it was great.

I heat it in my teapot submerged in water until steaming or at slightly below room temp.

I like the hot way though because I can smoke the spout on the tea pot and get drunk off sake vapor.

ITS GOTTA BE COLD. HOT SAKE IS A MEME.

throw it in le garbage. Pop open an ice-cold, refreshing Bud Lightâ„¢ instead.

That pic makes a disturbing amount of sense

as a whiskey drinker ive got to disagree, i hate myself and others far more than that chart gives me credit for

Why the fuck are there shills on Veeky Forums? And for bud light nonetheless.

Room temperature or chilled, mixed with green tea, and then either ginger ale or Sprite to mix it up.

>shake the fuck out of it
>drink at room temp
>???
>profit

I assume a shitposter. Notice the "le".

Last time I tried sake was when I was a teenager and my friend stole it from his mom. Took a sip and couldn't handle it. Tasted like rubbing alcohol rice

Drink soju, consume in 750ml increments.

>not drinking hot sake on cold winter nights
You all disgust me.

Deodorant and engine coolant (yes I know what they taste like"

Ouch. That's just a mean suggestion. Soju will put the layman on his ass.

If you're going the Soju route, mix it with orange or grape soda. That's how we'd get it in the kettle shops in Seoul (Itaewon). But we'd be with friends. If you're by yourself, you will do dangerous stuff. Never drink Soju alone unless it's just a few sips.

That's jig town in one of the villes, but not Itaewon, amirite?

Isn't soju like 20% most of the times? Not a big deal to drink straight

Roger, it's dongducheon outside of the gate.

Confirmed. I consume a fifth from time to time in one sitting and I continue to survive. It's really not that bad.

As often as possible.

I'm a sake freak. Drank lots of it when I lived in Japan.

If it's milled 50% or more (daiginjo), you're likely gonna wanna drink it cold. 40% (ginjo) and it can go either way. 30% (honjozo) or below, hot is the way to go. Exceptions to this, but it's a good rule.

Look for Junmai on the label. It means they haven't added distilled alcohol (which I find makes the taste more "racing fuel" than "dignified sipping beverage").

If you can find Dassai 50 in your town, get it. It's fantastic. Liquorama.com has a decent sake selection for delivery. Shipping is expensive, though.

This guy again. Here is a picture of Niigata station's Sake Tasting Museum and Gift Shop. 100+ coin operated sake dispensers. Fucking heaven.

In the elite sakes, you find both cold and room temp but at this level it's more about pedigree, rarity, or uniqueness. The average "OMG this place has THE BEST sake" sake is gonna be best cold 90% of the time. See my post on milling rates for why. You have to remove the bad tasting compounds, either with (in order of preference): A) ultra high quality rice, B) milling, or C) heat.

Any more questions about sake?

i enjoy warm sake

>drinking rice wine

>What does gin taste like to you?
Rubbing alcohol

flowers and a popping sensation

If it's a really high-quality gin it tastes like cucumbers and rose petals.

"Buy gin, gaijin" ahah am I right