Home bar

Recently turned legal age to drink and I'm interested in trying different cocktails without spending a fortune at bars. So I'm gonna try the home bar thing. I was thinking maybe getting a bottle each of vodka, rum, and whiskey to start.
What are some decent choices that aren't too expensive?
I see alcoholic threads all the time so I figure you guys are the ones to ask

Buy gin also

WHISKEY IS THE BEST BUT YOU WONT LIKE IT IF YOUR A LIQUOR NOOB. YOUR BEST BEST IS TO START WITH VODKA AS A MIXER. ITS RELATIVELY FLAVORLESS BUT EASY TO DRINK. BE CAREFUL NOT TOO LOSE YOUR ASS.

WELCOME ON YOUR FIRST STEP ON YOUR JOURNEY TO ALCOHOLISM. THE RIDE NEVER ENDS.

Do you have a recommendation for a good whisky for starters?
I'll try my best not to die an alcoholic

Not dying is a good first step into becoming an alcoholic

What are trustworthy gin brands and how do I figure out if gin is bad or not?

STAY AWAY FROM SCOTCH FOR NOW.

HONESTLY THERES A LOT OF GOOD CHOICES FOR WHISKEY/BOURBON AT RELATIVELY LOW PRICES. THE CANADIAN CLUB RESERVE IS A NICE WHISKEY THATS SUB 20 BUCKS AND EASY TO DRINK. IT HAS TO BE RESERVE THOUGH THE REGULAR KIND IS NOT AS GOOD.

MY LIVER HURTS EVERYDAY.

Ok, thanks.
Maybe you should see a doctor?

NO THATS MY NORMAL NOW. GOOD LUCK WITH THE DRINKING.

Ketel One for sure us a pretty nice vodka for a good price. A good cheaper scotch is Buchanans, not sure of the spelling there though. Honestly if I get rum its normally Captain Morgan Private stock, which I think is good rum, but I don't know how to tell what is good.

scotch is overrated. its smoother, like whiskey for people that dont like whiskey. i like my bourbon

This might be the dumbest thing I have read.

Macallan 12yo or 18yo if you feel like spending a bit more.

No other Scotch will compare.

Yea this is actually true. Macallan has a wide range of not so expensive to stupidly expensive and all that I jave had so far have been extremely good. But I think the cheapest bottle is around 50 bucks, and Buchanans cheaper one is like 30, so if I am going cheap I get buchanans.

Drink bourbon, try some Makers Mark

Seconding Ketel One for vodka. Really no reason to go any more expensive. For a cheaper brand Seagram's is very respectable.

im going to shill for seagrams. its definitely not the amazing, but their vodka, gin, and seagrams 7 for whiskey is a really solid choice for a low price.

I remember old grandad bourbon, canadian club being pretty decent too. Dont really know much about rum and tequila.

Gin and Tonic. Any gin of a reasonable price will be fine, by brand name tonic because the cheap shit is actually sweet rather than bitter. Start with a lower ratio if you're new to drinking (tonic at 2:1, 3:1 or more). Lime optional.

buy, not by*

I am a huge fan of the Gin+Tonic (drinking some right now, actually), but there are still a few that I genuinely dislike, so to me it's not fair to say just to by "any gin."

Not to say that any particular gin is necessarily bad, but just because you dislike one might not mean you dislike all.

Hendrick's gin is literally what turned me into an alcoholic because it's so fucking good I just want to drink it every day.

>so to me it's not fair to say just to by "any gin."
I said any gin of a reasonable price. In the UK (where I am) that'd be anything costing the same as an average bottle of branded spirit or more. Granted I don't know how it is in the USA so maybe the low end is shittier over the pond but here it's all drinkable. The real trick is not getting shitty tonic water.

>Hendrick's gin is literally what turned me into an alcoholic because it's so fucking good I just want to drink it every day.
Gin is fucking deadly for this because you can mix it up to 3:1 gin:tonic and drink that like water with a little experience. Frankly you can mix anything with gin and end up with something dangerously drinkable. The only thing that compares is Vodka + Irn Bru and that's hard to do outside of certain countries...

Or perhaps I'm just too forgiving with what I'll drink. Anyway I've never found someone who doesn't like a well made gin and tonic.

How do I into highballs

You will only find out if gin is bad or not if you try it. You will need to buy at least 3 different bottles to get a good sense of what gin can be like - at that point you'll know whether you want to keep experimenting. Every single gin I have tried is clearly different from the others.

Not trying to really disagree with your comments, but I just can't stand Bombay Sapphire, which is generally considered at least respectable. Almost every other gin I have really enjoyed, but both me and my wife disliked Bombay enough to dump the bottle. Hence why I am saying that buying one gin may not tell the whole story.

>Not trying to really disagree with your comments, but I just can't stand Bombay Sapphire, which is generally considered at least respectable. Almost every other gin I have really enjoyed, but both me and my wife disliked Bombay enough to dump the bottle. Hence why I am saying that buying one gin may not tell the whole story.
Fair enough, I'll agree it can be a personal thing. Personally I'll drink Bombay Sapphire but I don't enjoy it more than any other gin of comparable price. Maybe my advice should have been 'buy the most generic branded gin you can think of' instead since that gives people a good baseline. Out of interest (and assuming you're not from the UK) what's the go-to gin in your country?

In my country, every bar I have been to stocks Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, and Boodles.

From anecdotal experience, I would say Tanqueray is the go-to for people who aren't gin snobs.

>In my country, every bar I have been to stocks Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, and Boodles.
That's not too bad. What country, if you don't mind?
>From anecdotal experience, I would say Tanqueray is the go-to for people who aren't gin snobs.
Solid enough choice though surprisingly one I don't see often here in the UK. There's a strange situation with some gins and indeed some whisky in which they're extremely popular abroad and fairly niche in the country of origin.

I'm in Canada.

My province only has about 8 varieties of gin for sale anywhere regardless of how hard you look - and probably 3 of those were introduced just in the last year. Some other provinces have better selection depending on where you go.

>I'm in Canada.
Interesting.
>My province only has about 8 varieties of gin for sale anywhere regardless of how hard you look - and probably 3 of those were introduced just in the last year. Some other provinces have better selection depending on where you go.
I suppose that's the trade-off for living in a massive country with the population clustered around a few major settlements.

Beefeater is my favorite gin, strong flavor.
Bombaysaphire is milder.

Do you tried Gordon's gin ? I tried locally made gin aaand it was quite bad idea.

Actually Im going to Estonia in couple weeks where alcohol is really cheap compared to finnish prices. I am planning to buy Gordons gin too.