Would you like some cigarettes with your sandwich?

Was anyone around / remember when smoking was allowed in restuarants? How did you deal with the smoke? did it bother you? or did you just kind of ignore it?
I am asking because I cant stand imagine what that would be like with today's anti-smoking standards. It just seems like a bizarre idea to me.

They still had the smokers in a seperate and sometimes closed off area. It did suck ass though if you were sat next to that area.

>the waitress will never ask you "smoking or non?" again
only 90's kids will understand

I remember well. Smoking or non smoking was the new initiative for a healthy environment. When I was growing up (1970s) smoking while eating was commonplace. Airplanes had ashtrays in the arms.
I used to smoke on the flights between St Louis and Detroit. There were things called smoking lamps (google it), Life wasn't so touchy feely.

I got to enjoy it again while I was in Seoul.
Smell was totally unnoticeable because koreans actually understand ventilation. Smoking inside, watching soccer, drinking beer and eating pork belly was fucking choice

God, I remember this. I'm getting old.

Korea was pretty cool but the stench was awful.

Getting off the normal corridors was choice. Finding little kettle shops was a joy. All the old timers with their white socks and sandels kicking back with soju and cheering on their soccer teams was a treat. All you had to do was blow $20 for a round and everyone loved you.

R8 my sowse

In some places it atill exsists. They have this piss weak divider in the roof that does nothing. I try not to go to smoking places

I smoke, but I don't during the meal. When I'm at home I might lit one up after the main dish, before the dessert. I truly helps when you feel too full though, for some reason.

In China, they still smoke indoors of some restaurant. To be honest, that's a bit annoying, because the ambient smell of cigarette can overpower the fragrance of the food.

However, since it's very common, you take it like it is and don't really overthink it after a while.

I wouldn't care if second hand smoke didn't carry a health risk.

>did it bother you?

absolutely, I don't understand why anyone today would smoke. I remember there were ashtrays with that salt and pepper looking sand everywhere. the grocery store, the doctors office, Mcdonalds. you walk in and the smell hits the back of your nose and you just want to vomit.

>hated the smell of cigs as a kid
>everyplace would stink of cigs all the time
>made me want to be sick
>had to breathe in secondhand in restaurants and at home
>always immediately said nonsmoking to the hostess
>still say nonsmoking once in a while because it is so engrained

This. It's disgusting, and the stench saturates your hair and clothing and we can smell you from yards away, and your breath could kill a puppy. Plus it's expensive and gives you cancer and smoker's hacking cough. Why the fuck does anyone smoke? It's always the trashiest, poorest people who do, too. Like nigga no wonder you poor you're spending 5 a day on just one vice.

I liked the smell as a kid and think that's a reason I eventually started smoking

>Why the fuck does anyone smoke?
For some, including me, because it tastes good and is a nice feeling.

I don't chain smoke like trailer trash, but I enjoy my cigs. It's just like alcohol, you know it's bad for you, but you don't give that much of a shit if you control your consumption.

> smoking a fucking good cigar after a big ass meal, with a good glass of rum
That's fucking good, seekay

I actually didn't mind it. People smoked everywhere so you just were used to it. Now that it's banned everywhere, every time someone lights a cigarette next to me I find it intoxicating.

it's not a nice feeling though. the actual high you experience from smoking tobacco is mildly disorienting with a slight buzz. for a smoker the most enjoyable part of a cigarette is the satisfaction of the body's addiction to nicotine.

just because you don't enjoy the feeling doesn't mean nobody else does either desu ne

There's a particular feeling that punching a dart can't replicate.
The slight burn, the buzz, the moment of relaxation, the process.
It's the ultimate show of simultaneous free will and lack of free will, the free will to willingly do something that will kill you, and also the lack of free will of the addiction.

This is wrong, look up the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of nicotine. It can act as either a depressant or stimulant depending on how long youve been smoking.

Also the act of smoking itself can be relaxing as shown by placebo studies and pipe and cigar smokers who don't inhale the smoke and only absorb a little nicotine by mouth

It was weird. I started smoking at 16 and remember going to a pizzeria (Netherlands) where me and my mates or date or whatever would sit, smoke and eat throughout the meal. I agree they banned it, even though I still smoke, as they did two years later. In bars or cafes I feel the owner should have the choice but in restaurants it just makes zero fucking sense.

I remember smoking in restaurants. I was a smoker at the time. The way I always played it was if someone in your party was bothered by smoking you'd step outside for a smoke as people do today. But if there were several smokers in your party you'd sometimes have a cigarette at the table between courses, which felt like a luxury. I still think it's kinda weird that you can't smoke in bars, but whatever.

The ban was unnecessary. There was ventilation technology made for restaurants that could actually make a restaurant with smoking bearable but it was cheaper to just ban smoking.

I remember smoking sections but I don't remember it ever being allowed in the entire restaurant. My dad was a pack a day smoker so I was used to it.

>it was cheaper to just ban smoking.
In more ways than one. Most developed countries have some sort of public healthcare system and smoking related illnesses put a strain on that as well. Taxing cigarettes not only helps fund that, but making smoking a pain in the ass discourages people from doing it. Fewer smokers equals less smoking related illnesses on the health system.

i still remember the smell of Trussardi cigarettes that my dad smoked back in the 90s

The thing is, back then EVERYTHING smelt of smoke. Restaurants and pubs all smelt of smoke, especially pubs which some in my area only recently stopped smelling so much (think shitty Northern England pub last renovated in the 60's with nicotine stained walls)

lacks cigarettes, 0/10.

I DONT THINK CIGARETTES HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH FOOD

>Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool

>think shitty Northern England pub last renovated in the 60's with nicotine stained walls
God, that makes me want a warm pint of Tetley Bitter so bad. Fucking nostalgia bomb.

Where I'm from in Eastern Europe, you can still smoke in pretty much every restaurant/bar/cafe. I'd imagine it sucks for non smokers but a lot of people like a cig after their meal or with their beer.

I was still a kid when they started phasing that out, but considering most of my family smoked regularly then, i didn't mind.