Post knives

Post knives

Pic was a gift from my gf

I feel like it's a far better knife than I am a cook

Other urls found in this thread:

chefknivestogo.com/riar21ca52.html
ebay.com/itm/Gihei-Japanese-Kitchen-Chef-Knife-Blue-Steel-Nashiji-Santoku-165mm-/252137732991
chefknivestogo.com/mamigy24.html
chefknivestogo.com/makogy24.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>from my gf
>my gf
>gf

Cute blade.

What makes you think it's a great knife? Because it has *gasp* 33 layers of DAMASCUS steel, or because it's made in the glorious nippon?

Probably because it holds an edge while also avoiding chipping due to the differently tempered layers.
Damascus just refers to these layers and the nips fucking love folding metal.

More expensive and sharper than any I've used before

I never said it was great either. I'm just not a very good cook at the moment

I DONT KNOW WHY YOU WOULD QUALIFY A KNIFE AS GREAT BASED ON APPEARANCE.

He doesn't, he owns it.

/k/ here...

That's an interesting grouping of knives, you seem eclectic.

Very.

>That fat hand

YOU DIED, I SAW IT!

Wot?

>eclectic
It's spelled autistic.

I was trying to be nice, before I knew he was a fat, zombified Canadian shitposter.

Could anyone tell me the best carbon steel chef or gyutou I can get for under $200? I've seen a few that have a great look, but I really don't know shit. I'm more into gyutou than western knives because I can't fucking stand the heels that most western knives have. If you know a carbon steel western knife without that gay as fuck fat dull heel, that's cool.

I want carbon steel because I think it looks cool, by the way. Don't mind taking care of it, and I've already taken good care of a carbon steel veg cleaver, meat cleaver and non-kitchen knives, so no worries.

Why are you idiots posting tactical EDC fag shit

I should post my weeb knives, just copped a new Jap knife this week :^)

Even better, she's giving him one of those gifts which benefits her more than him. So now he'll use this knife to cook better meals for her.

kek women are fucking horrid.

Post knives

>>/r9k/

Just bought myself the chefs knife here

I would've gone for the 1778 f.dick but that's just a tad too expensive

maybe he's a cooking enthusiast and she bought it based on his interests

The US is chuck fucking block full of carbon steel knife makers with every bolster under the sun.

The most notorious US low cost Japanese style with western handle knife maker, Richmond Artifex, has this 52100 Gyuto for instance.

chefknivestogo.com/riar21ca52.html

DO NOT BUY Richmond Artifex knives. They are an entirely outsourced non-QC'd fake brand owned by the Chefs Knives to Go people.

The only CKTG house line you should even consider buying is Kohetsu because the Japanese factory they outsourced that line to does their own QC.

Should I go for a kohetsu then? I just need brand recommendations, whether they're from chef knives to go or not. I'm already dubious of any of their exclusive knives, though there was one they had which was hand made that I was interested in.

Konichiwaaaaaa

Obviously right is new purchase, still unsure of it

Korin's totally-not-a-store-brand brands tend to be pretty good. I'm very happy with my Togiharu

For 65$ I'd be able to accept some QC issues.

Then when he's finally sick of rust fast steel (assuming he doesn't have OCD) he still has money left to buy a nice stainless knife.

ew, what's with the dimples? Looks like your knife has gonorrhea or something.

Because I wouldn't trust the heat treatment on a Richmond Artifex knife, and a bad HT can make any steel perform like shit.

my daily drivers.

The Masakage is my favorite.

Does anyone have a Wüsthof knife and can tell if it is worth the money?

I have a few from the gourmet series. I like them a lot for the money

I got the one on the right for $20 at HMart. It sucks, uncomfortable and the black plastic ring keeps coming off.

>that cutie patootie hand
:3

What about the 'classic' set?

>just bought my lady friend a classic 8" Wusthof chefs knife for her birthday because she loves cooking and deserves something better than her busted cutco she is worth it pls no reeeee
>giving it to her this weekend

I hope she likes it. I'm certain she'll end up appreciating it. She cooks more often than me and she is very good at it, she's just a poor student and deserves some quality shit.

Yeah I'm thinking of returning it to be honest, even though it seems nice after some slicing paper tests. Is HMart an American thing? How did you get it for $20? If it's the same knife I got ripped off.

Love my Buck 119.

I etched my Hiromoto AS Sujihiki, what do you think?

Here's a closeup.

explain

>mostly folding garbage and a pliers

Nice. I just retched pic related, but the finish came out cloudy. I'm gonna get around to sanding and polishing with some simichrome and giving it another go. This time I bought a container long enough for it to submerge instead of pouring it over and wiping the ferric chloride on.

I used an etching solution (ferric chrloide + water) to highlight the san-mai construction of this knife. The core is high carbon steel which gets dark, and the cladding is stainless which stays shiny.

looks pretty dope

why buy a good knife if you're just going to degrade it with chemicals?

Because I think it looks nice. The patina would have formed anyway over time. I like to thing of it as upgrading it with chemicals.

Masakage makes some awesome knives.

I just bought a masakage kujira gyuto and it's probably my favorite knife I've ever used.

I have a 240mm stainless steel Artifex gyuto. I like it.

Duuude I have the same masakage bunka. Love that knife.

Yeah it's amazing, a bit basic in aesthetic, but it makes up for it in shape/performance.

Any thoughts on the Tojiro Shirogami series? Widely available for cheap prices. Shirogami vs. DP?

>This time I bought a container long enough for it to submerge

Couldn't you just cut the top off a soda bottle?

I usually just use a razor blade like pic related. Cheaper and, arguably, does a better job. You get a good, thin slice.

I bet that garlic just melts into the sauce

Do you handle it with your bare hands? That seems very dangerous to me, my blades are extremely flexible

>Do you handle it with your bare hands?

Of course. He has a wonderful system for doing the garlic.

I feel like I'm getting memed, but I'm new to Veeky Forums, so I'm not sure.

Shirogami series has the sharper blade but the finish is ungodly shit. The handle isnt sanded and the tang isn't even sealed completely so you can end up getting water inside the handle and by extention, rust. Im worried the thing will snap from that one day. The steel is also some of the most reactive stuff I've ever worked with so patina is mandatory

The DP is the far better investment unless you have the capability to fix up the shirogami

It's a meem from the goodfellas movie.

I can get slices that thin and a fuckload faster by using a properly sharpened chefs knife

why are people so fucking stupid

I just got me a huge chopping board from ikea, together with the chef's and vegetable knife from the Vörda series. I wonder how they'll hold up. They were cheap enough, so I'll use em to practice sharpening too.

i feel like having a good knife should not be exclusive for professional chefs. it makes life easier after all. i think anyone who is interested enough to learn proper technique with a knife benefits from having a good one, and those start at like 50€ and last an eternity.
i always panic when i see my mum 'dice' onions or my dad cutting veggies with those small paring knives. i mean its not homemadetomatoesauce.gif but damn. everyone should know how to use a kitchen knife.

Not the /k/ I know.

its a meme you dip

>why are people so fucking stupid

They're referring to a scene from a movie, Goodfellas. You appear to be missing the reference.

Is that statement the same for the white and the black finished ones? They're virtually the same, right?

The DP is attractive for it's durability, but it's missing that carbon edge. And stainless/carbon clad is always more expensive. I'm thinking of ordering direct from Japan, but I'm Canadian so our dollar sucks. A lot of ebay sellers are offering cheap clad Kanetsune knives but I know nothing about the brand.

There's also a few cheap Gihei's which are blue carbon/stainless clad: ebay.com/itm/Gihei-Japanese-Kitchen-Chef-Knife-Blue-Steel-Nashiji-Santoku-165mm-/252137732991

>Korin'
that shit is like 200 dollars. is that normal or am I lost in the wrong section?

>Henry Hill: [narrating; Paul is slicing the garlic with a razor] In prison, dinner was always a big thing. We had a pasta course and then we had a meat or fish. Paulie did the prep work. He was doing a year for contempt, and he had this wonderful system for doing the garlic. He used a razor, and he used to slice it so thin that he used to liquefy in the pan with just a little oil. It was a very good system.

& if you haven't seen Goodfellas then that the hell have you been doing with your life?

>I'm thinking of ordering direct from Japan,
Why?
North America and Europe produce superior knives at a better price. In particular European Damascus shits all over Jap steel.

Korin own a bunch of different brands. The ones actually labeled "Korin" are some of the more expensive ones. Look into Togiharu, or Misono if you don't mind that dragon pattern

chefknivestogo.com/mamigy24.html

chefknivestogo.com/makogy24.html

Is the second one worth that extra $140? They seem to be made from the same steel with almost no difference in hardness. Yet, I feel a strong urge to buy the more expensive one. The fuck is wrong with me?

>The fuck is wrong with me?

You're a dummy who doesn't read? The Mizu series is full Aogami #2 carbon steel, hence more easily prone to rusting if not cared for. The Koishi is Aogami Super carbon steel clad with stainless steel, less care required. It's easier to see line differences right on the Masakage site.

I really love the Mizu even though most people advise against it because of care. With that said, the Koishi is grail tier for me as they're just beautiful even though I normally don't like dimpling.

>tfw a 15$ more companion is better htan most the shit you have there
top kek m8, ur memeing urself

Oh, I don't think it says on this site that ot has a stainless cladding. I thought it was just the yuki that had stainless cladding. I'm looking for reactive, because I'm a tryhard who always defaults to the rule of cool. I love patina.

Yeah CTG doesn't have that info for some reason. I'm the same way, I'm not a cook in kitchens so they wouldn't get destroyed and I baby and adore most of my stuff and love the look and colours of full carbon. Plus they're often cheaper so it's a win for me. The Mizu series looks really cool in real life and you can't go wrong with Masakage

>a bit basic in aesthetic
True. I completely forgot to mention that I despise the lack of treatment on the handle. It picks up smudges so easily. I use it in a professional setting so when it's out of my knife bag, I have to watch it like a fucking hawk to make sure no one is doing anything stupid with it.

Serious question, not being a dick.
Do you think one of the biggest differences between home cooks and chefs is the quality and maintenance of the knife? I mean, as a home cook, if my knife is dull, it's really not enjoyable or effecient to cook.

Some bullshit about boundary layer separation that doesn't apply to cutting solid objects I assume?

>no swiss knife
genocide yourself

The dimples break the capillary attraction that causes wet foods to stick to flat objects.

They seriously work--at least on some foods. I can fine dice an onion and the pieces still sit in their original shape as though it was a whole onion. Makes for a lot less mess when you're doing prep (and no crying). They aren't very effective on long slender foods being sliced, like say carrots or leeks.

Yes. A lot (not ALL, but a lot) of the difference between a nice knife and a cheap knife is pure placebo. I grew up around plenty of rich people who didn't really cook, and I've seen plenty of expensive knives that weren't any better at cutting than my $5 beater pairing knife because no one ever bothered to hone or sharpen them. Meanwhile, a cheap knife might not keep an edge as well, but if you maintain it it'll still be a perfectly acceptable tool

I eventually said I can use an upgrade from my nobrand knife and got pic related, a somewhat simple 18cm Tojiro

I love it, the thing's sharp as hell
Prepping stuff is so much easier than it used to be, and now I totally get why people say a sharp knife is safer than a dull one

So thanks to the various anons that kept suggesting Tojiro in other knife threads, more than worth it. Highly recommend it to anyone wanting a good knife that's not overly expensive and flashy

Also, I'm really glad it has a simple edge and not a double bevelled one like my old knife, which made it quite more difficult for me to sharpen on a stone

Wow, these are dirt cheap. Anyone know about the shirogami line?

>European Damascus

Just be quiet, you know nothing memeing fuck.

Better yet, please explain what "European Damascus" is, and what would make it superior to competently heat treated 1095, 52100, Shirogami, Aogami, Aogami Super, O-1, or AEB-L for that matter.

Holy shit, you slammed him! You win! Seriously, cogratulations! How'd you get so fucking good?

I think damascus steel is ugly.

I have a Mercer 8" chefs, 11" slicing and paring knife. Pretty much all I need and was around $50 all three.

Shiiiiit...now I want a gf too

Pic are cookies I made some weeks ago

The two Wusthof knives are 9 years old. The Richmond is okay: weird belly shape, but holds an edge better than the Germans.

Better get me some peanut butter.

I'm mad jelly.

That IS a weird belly.
My Wusthof is ~20 years old. I use it at home when I need to leave my roll at work. It served me well for a work knife for ~10 years. Miss using the heel as a can punch, something I can't do with my gyuto.

In general Japanese style knives tend to have much flatter bellies because they don't rock-chop much and rather push cut or straight chop. Flat knives are better for those things, while round-bellied knives are better for rocking. Depends on what kind of cutting you're going to do.

Yeah but look at the pic. It's thick like a western, then abruptly goes thin halfway through toward the edge.
Unless that's just glare, but I'm pretty sure that's what OP was talking about.

For me they weren't _that_ cheap, because they ended up being delivered from Japan:'( it ended up being like 70 euros desu

>dem tasty lookin cookies
user you could win a woman's heart with those

I-It looks so pretty.
Anyone experience with Forged knives?

Got this for cheap off a cook who needed cash now. Prep beast for sure.

>user you could win a woman's heart with those
I tried,those were for a girl but she did never show up to this event...but it's ok,i didn't expect her to come (it was a session of a RPG and I didn't invite her personally)

R-Recipe?

Is this the petty knife from the set? I literally got this knife today as a birthday gift and came on here to post it ya fuck