Paleo Diet

So I'm trying this out. Only problem is I'm finding it really expensive, since all the stuff you're not supposed to eat (dairy, grains) is cheap and plentiful, but stuff you should eat (e.g. good cuts of meat) are expensive, and I don't have a huge budget.

Where is a good place to go to buy paleo stuff? Or any general advice for doing it on a budget?

You don't need that much protein and fat in a day. Get 50-80 gr of protein in, some fats from nuts or a good olive oil, then fill up on veggies and berries.

Cheap protein: offal, tinned fish like sardines and tuna, eggs, blood.
If you live near the sea get into fishing as a hobby.

If there are two things paleolithic man was known for, it's longevity and health.

Since when did cavemen eat olive oil and coconut oil?

I want to add to this, you're a bit l8 m8. Harvest season is at an end and your opportunity to fill your freezer with free and dirt cheap berries/fruit/veg is over. Hunting seasons are also ending depending on where you live. You fucked up your timing completely.

Longevity of man is a result of technology and healthcare, not diet you stupid fucking cunt.

Except it wasn't a joke and you know it.

buy chicken

And why would you do something so stupid? An expensive diet that is also very unhealthy, on top of being mislabeled. The point being what exactly? Eating meme concentrate.

>vegetables, fruit, nuts, wild meats, eggs, coconut oil & olive oil
>ery unhealthy, on top of being mislabeled

>coconut oil
>healthy
Must be why cardiovascular disease and diabetes aren't prevalent in SE Asia. Oh wait.

If you think meat, eggs, coconut and olive oil are healthy then you must not follow nutrition research much... or at all.

It doesn't matter that you eat vegetables and fruits on paleo because they contain so few calories that the vast majority of your calories much inevitably come from animal products and fat. Which, if you know anything about nutrition, is profoundly unhealthy.

People in the paleolithic were eating wild grains and wild beans, a lot of fruit and honey and only a moderate intake of lean meats with an overall low total and saturated fat intake. So the paleo diet is, in fact, mislabeled.

You don't need to eat as much meat as most people eat.
Just go 90% veg, even if it's just to save money.

>muh GMOs be scary

fucking retards

This, I hate militant vegans but it's so much cheaper to eat meat on occasion rather than all the time.

It's expensive in other ways too.
Planet earth can only sustain few people that way (maybe somewhere between 100000 and 1 million world wide. All other human beings please die!
Considered that way, it should cost you thousands or millions of dollars a month in order to afford to live like that.

>you don't have to eat tons of meat
You missed that bit? You don't need to eat more than your average protein requirement. We're talking about less animal protein than the average american fatty get's in one meal. Paleo is definitely sustainable as long as you don't do it the retard way.

>the retard way

Depending on the environment, for example the far north, some humans during the paleolithic had diets comprising 90%+ meat and oil. Were they retarded? Why was their diet any less "paleo?" Some, in other areas also drank the milk in the udders of female animals they killed. Was that not a paleo diet?

That's the problem with this kind of classification. The paleolithic diet, depending on the environment, varied greatly. Archaeologists have even found evidence of the consumption of grain precursors in fossilized feces, as well.

The fact is, humans during the paleolithic ate virtually anything that wasn't poisonous.

I agree with you, which is why I think everyone should adapt a 'paleo' diet that is optimal for their spesific genes and the region they live in. Research have shown that the inuit population on Greenland reacts horribly to a normal carb diet (very high diabetes numbers) but thrives on low-carb. They should eat a different 'paleo' than an asian who can handle a high carb diet. They also have very different resources available in their regions, and should use these rather than importing meme foods from half a world away.

>there are people on Veeky Forums who unironically think meat, eggs and oil are unhealthy

>rather than importing meme foods from half a world away

This is excellent advice no matter what the diet style is. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say from different regions of a country if the country happens to be large.

Paleo diet in general is fairly good but grains wont fucking kill you, though the average person probably eats way too many. Grains should be ysed ti fill the leftover calories in your diet. Dairy is not bad if youre white so if youre american maybe you should leave it out.

There is a big difference between a population that has existed in a specific geographic location on a specific diet for millennia and North Americans who have most likely been here for less than 200 years.

We are highly adaptable animals who live in a time of incredible nutritional diversity.

Just eschew junk foods and be active. It's not complex and you don't have to pretend you are a cave man who eats only local foods. People overthink it.

You don't have to but it's so much fun

I can see that, but getting too ideological about what you eat doesn't seem fun.

I get a kick out of eating things that I foraged, hunted, or fished for, but I'm still going to eat an avocado.

>Implying you can't hunt naughty avocados.

It's not "pretending" to prefer local foods. It's the fact they haven't sat on a shelf or in a truck for several weeks or months degrading in both flavor and nutrients.

Anyone that lives in an environment close to hunting and foraging sources, will also have at a minimum a patio or balcony where they could grow a quite large quantity of seasonal vegetables. The fact that the average small US subdivision features 1/4 acres that have no garden but instead a bed of chemically intensive grass is an absolute embarassment to this country. The average American would be shocked by the quantity of produce that can come from 3 or 4 4x8 plots.

So the fact, is local is not fake, and unless you live in an apartment, there's no excuse for not growing much of your seasonal produce.

>paleolithic humans
>eating eggs and coconut oil

All birds lay eggs, user. You can harvest them in spring time.

This entire post is wrong

>thinks coconuts didn't grow in the paleolithic.

You can't grow most of your annual produce needs in 1/4 acre.

Do you think they processed coconuts into oil?

You can't grow grains, rice, corn or other intensive crops, no. Legumes, greens, cabbage family, many root crops, yes.

Read about the amount of garden plot for the Irish peasant prior to the potatoe famine; it was quite small for a large family.

No. However, the oil exists in the coconut components alone without additives. I prefer olive oil, but that's me.

>tfw allergic to coconut
never gonna make it ;_;

legumes (beans) are fine to eat. The phytic acid/anti-nutrient only applies to raw, uncooked beans.

Disregard any paleo guide that recommends this.

>Read about the amount of garden plot for the Irish peasant prior to the potatoe famine; it was quite small for a large family.
And they were malnourished.

I'm not arguing growing produce is great and people should take advantage of it versus turf grass, but people should approach it as a supplement and not expect to be self-sufficient in an avg N. American backyard.

So it's keto with no dairy?

it's shit.

patheolitic man ate grains as a stable anyway even though they are shit