Christmas is coming up and people have started asking me what I want

Christmas is coming up and people have started asking me what I want

What are some ~$50 Veeky Forums approved things that I never knew I needed?

A "Saturday Evening Post?"

i got a cheap deep fryer for $45 that's pretty dope

Get some nice pyrex mixing bowls

A rice cooker

A nice cast iron pan or two?

Jeez idk, posting because I need to know the same thing lol. My grandparents buy me one kitchen item for Christmas each year and I've got all the basics, a toaster/convection oven, microwave, blender, etc.

A VERY NICE PAN OR TWO.

marinade needle

Four Roses Single Barrel

jacard meat tenderizer
thermopop instant read thermometer
A nice jb prince sidetowel. (won't need potholders ever again)
herb garden light
a tart pan
lamsonsharp kitchen shears

A manual food mill. Shit makes best sauces.

Cutting board that will last , a nice knife, salad spinner, set of glass/pyrex containers. Or any gratuitous dumb shit from Williams Sonoma but at another store

a silpat if you bake

benriner Japanese mandoline

Pressure cooker
Burr grinder
Pyrex ware

Started at a butcher's a little while ago and apparently the big Christmas seller is prime rib

lodge enameled cast iron. $50, highly rated by ATK as non-meme wear. it's on my list for sureee

Hell yeah I'm getting an instant read thermometer.

Also, I've never had a nice knife. The one I use now really just tears chicken breast or pork tenderloin and not slices.
What's the price point of a knife that will stay in shape fairly long, and the price point of whatever I'll need to keep it in good shape?

I received one of these as a gift last Christmas. I use it at least 2-3 times a week now. I highly recommend it.

Also going to suggest Pyrex, I've had a set for the longest time I don't even remember how I got them.

>people have started asking me what I want

I don't think that's how Christmas is supposed to work.

Why not? It's best if people don't get things that they don't want. Just ask those people what they want in return.

Your're right. Xmas is not that, and that's why I refuse to do it anymore. I do participate in a cooking and drinking feast, however. Buying shit no one needs to pretend it's a gift? No. Other imbeciles can do that but I will not.

Why would you not ask someone what they want and choose to instead just buy something you THINK they want?
Chances are they wont want what you get them, but if you ask them and they tell you you'll get exactly what they want.

OP, a food processor/blender or a handheld blender.

>buy something for a pretend gift

Look, it ain't happening for me and it shouldn't happen for you.

Sure, gather with friends and family, feast, drink and be merry. Buy a bunch of shit no one needs or wants that will be trashed in a year or two in packed, stressful stores? Absolutely not. You have to say no to this kind of crap or nothing will ever change. You're responsible for allowing it to continue if you don't stop it for yourself.

this is why i always give and ask for chocolate. everybody likes chocolate.

For a single good knife id say at least 40
For keeping it sharp, a steel, a strop, and some oil go a long way and are alot less than stones up to 5000 grit. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you dont know how to actually sharpen using stones, dont. Especially if you get a really nice knife.
Also, look to skinning type knived if you cant find a chefs knife you like. If you arent cutting large things, it may be just as good for you. I often use my benchmade Saddlemountain skinner in the kitchen
I have 2 actually, the other gets used for skinning primarily. Ive found that if it can cut hide and muscle and ligaments easily, it has no problem with what ill cutnin the kitchen.

For stuff like more delicatd vegetables id reccomebd a second thinner knife, or stleast a mandolin

Unless I've specifically heard them want something, I'll ask their friends or girlfriends if they know something, and if not, I'll just ask them directly. I want to get them something and I don't want them to dislike it and feel obligated to use it or something, we're adults now, christmas isn't as special because we don't get several gifts and will end up really liking 2 or 3 and not as much the others.

Agreed. Edible/drinkable gifts in general are a good choice unless people have mentioned wanting a certain thing. The worst gifts are useless crap that people throw out anyway.

I'd buy you a new fedora

You NEED a set of linzer tart cutters and an assortment of premium forest berry jams to fill linzer tarts with.