Has any of you ever made bread kvas?

Has any of you ever made bread kvas?

I've made it 4 times now, but the taste seems very off. You can really mess around with the type of (rye)bread, amount of sugar, fermentation time, etc. It's hard to describe what's wrong with the taste, but I think it has to do with the fermentation. There are many recepies out there and they all advise you to use different amounts of sugar and fermentation times.

Anyway, squeezing half a lemon in there doesn't really help and adding more sugar after serving (if you add more during fermentation it just gets turned into alcohol) quickly makes it undrinkable. Maybe it's just an aquired taste...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k1UTJKBMvgc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>It's hard to describe what's wrong with the taste
Find a way or we really aren't going to be able to help you.

I guess it's too bitter? I could tolerate it if the bread taste wasn't so fucking weak in comparison. I think it turns bitter-y when you let it ferment too long, but people say the taste gets better the longer you let it sit.

How long are your processes?

I haven't made kvas, but I brew and ferment foods. I wonder if it has something to do with the quality of the rye bread you're using. Have you tried a well made loaf from a really good bakery?

I let the bread sit for 6 hours to a day. After removing the bread I add half a tea-spoon of dry yeast, 50g of sugar and some raisins and let it ferment for 3 or 4 days, after which I filter it (removing the yeast sediment at the bottom, which I only thought about on my 3rd attempt of kvas making) and put it in the fridge with some new raisins. In the fridge the fermentation should slow down to the point that you can keep it there for many weeks.

I taste it frequently during the process, and it isn't half bad the first day or two.

Since making kvas is new for me I just use ryebread from the supermarket. I use Brabants ryebread, but that doesn't say much if you're not Dutch.

By the way I just thought about how people in eastern Europe basically make this when they have left over stale bread, so I don't think the quality affects anything.

that bread is shit. get good bread

does anyone know if you can use quality pumpernickle bread to make kvass?

Do you do kvass from this recipe ?
youtube.com/watch?v=k1UTJKBMvgc

From what I understand, it may be your raisins that fucks it up. You need to clean them before putting them in the kvass.

He also only leaves it for 2 days. Maybe that's why it's milder.

Actually, I rewatched the recipe video out of curiosity and it seems you have some things that are off.

1/ you don't toast the bread
2/ you don't filter the smaller bits
3/ not sure if raisins are rinsed or not
4/ your bread looks like there isn't enough maltose in it (not black enough)

I don't know if it changes anything, but you could try to change these things and see what happens.

Apparently, from Boris's recipe, yes, you can.

that bread is shit-tier for Kvas and you will never get anywhere with it.
Use dark quality bread like pic related. Don't be cheap fuck and buy one at a bakery.
Also kvas is something where every family uses their own individual receipt to make it. You can ask 50 people how to make kvas and you would get 50 different receipts. You have to experiment a little to find the taste that is best for you.

I only mentioned my processes, not the obvious things. Look at the picture, my bread is toasted and I did everything you're supposed to do. I made kvas with rinsed raisins, without rinsing and without raising altogether (at least during fermentation). Boris is the only person that tells you to rinse the raising, by the way.

My first try used that recipe. Gotta say that Boris uses a lot of sugar compared to other recipes.
My first attempt used the blackest kind of rye bread imaginable, maybe I should use it again. But the rye bread I'm using right now makes the water just as dark as the other bread, except the colour is slightly more red instead of orange. Though by the time I filtered it the water was pretty much black like fucking cola.
I saw a bread almost exactly like the one in your picture. I should definately pick it up, I love bread anyway and I'll just save some to make kvas with.

I would highly recommend you not to use lemon and raisins for kvas. No one I know, being it relatives or friends does that shit. I don't know where the fuck that Boris guy is from but it seems to me like something he came up with in a drunken stupor.

Is kvass supposed to be alcoholic or not? I thought it was supposed to have a very small alcohol content like less than 1%. I read here and there about people saying they get drunk off it. Which one is it?

I only let my yeast sit in the juice overnight, tastes great to me. Try that and see if it tastes any better?

Never heard of people getting drunk off it, in my time I've never heard of anything even close to over 1%, but I'm no expert on the matter.

Alcohol content varies between rougly 0.5% and 2.4% usually. A pitcher could give you a slight buzz.

I'm going to make it as simple as possible this time, just water, bread, yeast and sugar. If this goes bad then it's just my shitty taste.
I completely read that wrong, alcoholic content is 0.05 - 1.44% actually. I guess a large amount would still make the alcohol noticable on an empty stomach, but no one's going to drink that much anyway.