I had steamed brussel sprouts as a kid and absolutely despised them...

I had steamed brussel sprouts as a kid and absolutely despised them. I stopped by the store on the way home and on a whim got a dozen of them. What's the best recipe for them?

fry them in bacon
add a bit of maple syrup at the end

Cut them in half. Fry them in oil in either cast iron or steel pan, flat side down so they caramelise. Deglaze with some balsamic or red wine vinegar. Bacon won't hurt.

Roast those fuckers in bacon fat with some parsnips.

Cut them half, spread out on a baking sheet. Salt, pepper, maybe some garlic and whatever else you like. Bake for about 20 mins on 415. I like mine a little crispy so keep an eye on them. Will be great, try this with broccoli also. You're welcome.

Actually, steamed brussel sprouts with a good amount of spice on them is pretty tasty when you're an adult, you'd be surprised.

Kids' tastebuds are just pleb tier.

>fry them in bacon
>add a bit of maple syrup at the end
> discard brussel sprouts
> eat

OP do you like sauteed cabbage? They're just basically baby cabbages. Browning is agood, as is butter, bacon, garlic, sweetness or acidity both. It's like whatever you would do to cabbage also works. I like roasting, because it kind of dries the outer leaves a touch, as well as, browning in the pan also works. As another user said, slice in half, for more surface area for browning.

these anons have the right idea.

i like to cut them in half then fry them with garlic, bacon, balsamic vinegar and a bit of honey until they get brown and caramelized.

I'll wager they were boiled, not steamed. Steamed sprouts taste like yummy uber-broccoli.

I really wanna know, what's the appeal of those things? they smell like farts, I just can't get them into my mouth, as they give me a huge gag reflex.

Of all the foods I hated as a kid but then tried as an adult, this is one of the few I still hate.

I love broccoli and green beans, olives, etc.. but the only way I can make brussel sprouts at all palatable is to either coat them or fry them with other things to hide the flavor of the brussel sprouts themselves.

>you're welcome

Seems green cabbage (IE cabbage which is green all the way through, not green outside and white inside) seems hard to come by where I live, I've taken to using them as a substitute. I halve then slice them into thin shreds then sauté said shreds in oil with chili/garlic paste (sudulunumiris) and top with smoked fish flakes (either Maldives fish, if I can get it, or katsuobushi, which is easier for me to find).

You can also go more western with it. Chop it up. Sauté in butter with onion. Add par-cooked rice. Top off with a little milk and strong stock. Let the rice cook through to absorb. Off the heat. Top with lots of shredded cheese and mix it into the rice as you fluff it to serve.

I once ate 14 whole brussels sprouts

Rule-of-thumb for Brussel sprouts: if you wonder if you add enough fat (butter, bacon fat, olive oil...) in their preparation, you probably don't, add a bit more.

Anyway, answering the OP: they have a bittery taste. YMMV if good or bad, but I absolutely love them.

I like to fry up some bacon and toss them in the rendered fat. Roast at 400 for 40 mins until they're dark and maybe a tiny bit burnt looking.

Slice them in half. Stirfry them with carrots and broccoli. Do NOT boil or steam them. Dip them in brown spicy mustard. You're welcome.

The best recipe I had was made by a friend. He just boiled (or maybe steamed) them for a tiny bit, pulled them out, breaded them, and fried them in butter. Fucking delicious.

I love them both baked sweet, steamed pungent, or just raw and fresh.

If you hated them, it wasn't a matter of recipe. It's just genetics. Don't force yourself to like them if you don't, there's nothing you can do about it.

Feel sorry for you tho. Brussel sprouts are fucking awesome.

I chop them up into half inch chunks, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper them and roast them in the oven at 425F for 14 minutes.

zzz wrong advice senpai, i also hated the boiled monstrosities that smelled like shoe and fart as a child.

cut the bottom part and peel away all dark green,limp layers.
sear the on highest heat in some oil til heavily charred, mix with cooked bacon, crushed hazelnuts and honey,oil,vinegar vinaigrette. was my dinner tonight

roasted at 400, covered in blue cheese and bacon

Roast in baking pan with olive oil/butter, salt, pepper, whatever spices you want

trust me it will be fucking dank

>steam
>salt n pepa
>wa la