Mashed Potatoes Recipe

So, I'm supposed to be making the mashed potatoes this year for my family's Thanksgiving and I'm wondering if any of you guys have a tried and true recipe to share. I'm planning on using red potatoes, but any other ingredients are game.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C0gWH2E4lWg
saveur.com/article/Recipes/Potato-Puree-1000070040
youtube.com/watch?v=Jeef_54TuYQ
thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/delicious_creamy_mashed_potatoes/
youtu.be/tglNuzSuOMU?t=407
youtube.com/watch?v=FY4Ky9S9Gq0
youtube.com/watch?v=MaiNVjr-HAs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

boil potatoes. don't skin them unless ur a bitch
mash em
some milk and mix till they creamy
some butter, proportional to how much fat u wanna gain
salt to taste
pepper to taste
maybe garlic

fuck all the other spices. also fuck this literally every ingredient is to taste.

this except get the electric mixer in on that action

and don't overboil them!

>No french mustard

Kek

and instead of milk use heavy cream and maybe mayo
more fat = more flavor and who cares on thanksgiving

Sub out some yukon gold rather than the red skin. Potatoes are waxy or starchy, and yukons are more perfectly in the middle than those waxy reds, more foolproof, let's say.
You can boil or steam them, depends how many pounds you need to cook (I do a full 10lb bag for my crowd). Make sure to slice them into evenly sized chunks, not too small or it gets waterlogged, toss in a garlic clove if you wish, and the moment you can see a chunk is fork tender, take off the heat. Drain, I maneuver the lid at an angle, and tip the pot over the sink. Then toss in some butter, replace lid to let residual steam melt the butter a bit. Meanwhile you've warmed some cream or half or half in the microwave in a pyrex measuring cup.
This is the only time of year I get the electric beaters going (handheld), and just whip them smooth with the dairy. Be generous with the salt (or use salted butter), and a few grinds of pepper.
Don't overwhip(!), just until combined and smooth. I like skin on and unskinned, both, but I have to say on Thanksgiving, I do fully peeled.
If you don't have handheld mixer, you can get amazing potatoes from a ricer device, and it catches the skins and eyes, so can save you some prep upfront.

Don't add too much water when you boil potatoes, save that hot potato water, and add some of that to the potatoes when you mash them.

3:1 ratio potato to butter
boil in a 5% salt water.
mash with a masher 2 trips around the bowl
whip in butter with a whisk.

how fat are you?

Not user you responded to but why, just why, would you assume someone is fucking fat when they give a recipe that might have a few calories more than what you view as optimal?

You've got serious issues, buddy. Seek help ASAP.

No, he's right. I'm pretty fat.

I use a ricer to get em extra smooth

You think its crazy, but he's absolutely correct. This is a delicious holiday dish, not everyday food. Remember you have a few spoonfuls, along with a dozen other things that are on the table, you don't eat the entire bowl yourself.
Watch this and be convinced.
youtube.com/watch?v=C0gWH2E4lWg

kek.

My bad. I thought I was being noble.

oh god it's worse than i thought

Worse how? If you have such concerns about Thanksgiving then perhaps you should stay home.

it just looks revolting.

thanksgiving dinner should taste good cold out of the fridge when you're hungover the next day and i guarantee that abomination comes out of the fridge as a solid brick of salty fat

a dollop or two of butter and a splash of milk or cream is all you need

also

>worrying about the water content of the butter while completely oversaturating the potatoes as they cook

There's a 2:1 ratio at saveur.
saveur.com/article/Recipes/Potato-Puree-1000070040

>a dollop or two of butter and a splash of milk or cream is all you need
Wow, your potatoes suck. Maybe you should just cook for yourself, please DON'T bring a dish to pass you diet-obsessed faggot.

i forgot the most important ingredient

>electric mixer on high

but by all means, eat a bowl of butter if you're so inclined

>electric mixer on high
Please user, He asked for mashed potatoes, not how to make glue for paper mache

if you soak the starch out that won't be an issue

That's precisely true. I've tried it. Not the best idea.

probably because you boiled the shit out of them like the pleb in the butter video

>Dice potatoes into semi-thick chunks. Skinning them is optional, but the skins are healthy and give the finished product a better texture imo.
>Boil potatoes
>Add milk and mix/mash the potatoes
>On low heat, add butter, black pepper, and a pinch of salt
>Serve with parsley on top. It's really more for the aesthetic than anything, so this is optional.

>red potatoes

first mistake (of many)

Who suggested an electric mixer? Certainly not me. Do it by hand.
Exactly nobody will enjoy your dry ass starch paste. You can cook it for yourself that way at home, sure. But don't share that shit with me at a holiday event.

50% butter

cut potatoes into rough chunks, probably quartered but use your judgement depending on how big they are. don't peel them

gather up peeled garlic cloved - do not slice or mince them. 1 medium/large clove per 2 people you're serving

boil potato chunks and whole garlic cloves in pot together until done - check with a fork or knife. the skin will also look like it's coming off

drain and put potatoes + garlic into pot. add butter, splash of milk, perhaps mayo (up to you), and a liberal amount of salt and pepper, PERHAPS rosemary too but you're going to be adding fresh basil so do it to taste

add fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped. about 20g of fresh basil per person

mash all of it together

this

Don't boil them,
Bake them, then skin them and put them through a ricer. Stir through butter and a bit of hot milk- season and serve.

Depends. If your family is upper class they might appreciate a classical super buttery mashed tater. Otherwise idk, chef john has a good recipe

Follow this recipe for some fancy ass mash potatoes

youtube.com/watch?v=Jeef_54TuYQ

Good channel and this is a nice diet food, but to serve it for a family event should literally be a crime

Red Pots? Righto then I've got a recipe for ya per 1 lb of potato
>1lb Red potato skinned and boiled to be fork tender, a normal metal fork slides in without forceful effort
>Salt your boiling water. use kosher salt stuff doesn't seem to boil out of the water and properly distributes itself
>Mash or rice the potatoes
>mix in 1/4 heavy cream, 1tsp black pepper, 1tsp kosher salt, 1tsp garlic and onion powder.
>This part's optional but it adds a nice taste to it, 1/8 cup anderson erikson sour cream and onion chip dip. I know it sounds weird but bare with me it works.
>Mix/mash it all till its smooth. If it is not smoothing out add small amount of heavy cream until it become smooth, do not over add Heavy cream.

Oh god yes, I have the recipe for you. It's super easy,perfect for people who are inexperienced cooks, you can make them ahead of time, and I've never seen anyone who didn't eat the shit out of them, they usually don't survive to be leftovers.

Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes:

10 Russet potatoes, peeled
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup minced chives
4 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste

Cook potatoes in salted, boiling water (that completely covers them) until tender (use a fork to test). Drain potatoes well.
Mash or whip the potatoes, adding the cream cheese and sour cream. (I usually add the cream cheese first, then the sour cream). Mash or whip until smooth and fluffy. Stir in chives, salt, and pepper.
Spoon potatoes into a baking dish, dot the top with the butter, and then cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to bake (no more than 2 days). The potatoes can even be frozen at this stage, and thawed before baking, if need be.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325F. Bake, covered in foil, for 20 minutes. Remove foil, and continue baking for another 20 minutes, or until golden and a little crusty on top. The top will have an nice crust, and underneath will be smooth, creamy potatoes.

Add permesian cheese.

Mashed potatoes are the food of the gods.
This is my favorite simple recipe. They're super creamy and buttery.

5 pounds Russet Or Yukon Gold Potatoes
3/4 cups Butter
1 package (8 Oz.) Cream Cheese, Softened
1/2 cup (to 3/4 Cups) Half-and-Half
1/2 teaspoon (to 1 Teaspoon) Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/2 teaspoon (to 1 Teaspoon) Black Pepper

from thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/delicious_creamy_mashed_potatoes/

>preheat oven to 400
>take a head of garlic and peel off the outer layer, then cut the tip off so the cloves are exposed
>drizzle a couple of teaspoons of olive oil into the cloves, rubbing into the cracks if necessary
>wrap in foil and bake in the oven at least 40 minutes or until all the cloves are spreadably soft
>take 4-5 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
>boil in salted water for 20 minutes or until you can pierce them with a fork
>drain and return to the pot, add butter and cream and mash to desired consistency
>add herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage), plenty of salt and pepper, and at least 2-3 cloves of the roasted garlic

I use grandmas recipe now that I've been appointed the mashed potato guy at my family's thanksgiving. You use peeled russets, make sure to cut out any remnants of the eyes. Rinse and chop into somewhat uniform sizes, like 2 inches thicc at most. Then you boil them until a fork goes through effortlessly.

Drain the potatoes in a colander and put a stick of butter in a large coffee mug full of half&half cream. This is the part that people will greentext but fuck you, you have this like three times a year. Anyway microwave this cream and butter until the butter is melted and then put the potatoes in the blender, start mixing while you pour in the buttery cream mixture and then just mix it at high until it's fluffy and free of lumps. Salt and pepper to taste, serve with strained sweet corn cause if you don't put corn in your potatoes you need to get out of my sight.

Btw this is for a huge batch, like made with 10 pounds of potatoes. I guess if you weren't cooking for 15 people you could just use half a stick of butter.

Strange, I thought using a blender would turn them into a gummy glue. Do they really come out light and fluffy?

Marco uses a food processor and lots of butter
youtu.be/tglNuzSuOMU?t=407

I've only experienced gummy potatoes when other people make them. I've never had them become gummy on me. I would assume it's from using too little water to boil the spuds and you end up with all that starchy residue.

Also I forgot to mention I transport the finished potatoes in a crockpot. Keeps them hot from the mixer to the dinner table.

My mom makes mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and bacon. I don't know the exact recipe, but I'm sure you could easily find it.

Use starchy potatoes. Yukon and the likes.
Don't overboil them. You want mashed potatoes, not glue.
Peel them AFTER boiling (otherwise they lose flavour).
Be generous with butter or heavy cream. Heavy cream is the best IMHO.
Be cautious with the milk, nobody likes runny mashed potatoes.
Seasonings depend on who's eating them. If you have a picky eater, be as simple as possible - ground pepper and salt. Otherwise, go fancy with fresh herbs, I personally like chive and parsley. Cheese might be fun too.

sous vide with lots of butter
youtube.com/watch?v=FY4Ky9S9Gq0

Whatever recipe you use, add muscat

try adding parmesan

N U T M E G
U
T
M
E
G

2lbs yukon gold boiled with skin on 35-40 minutes, don't peel them, but put them through a food mill
stir in 1lb butter cut into cubes
few dashes of milk
whisk it
salt to taste

proceed to get blowjobs from your hot cousin

How fat are you?

If my mashed potatoes are too watery from too much milk will putting it on the stove on high cook out the liquid and make it thicker?

hey man if it is good enough for robuchon it's good enough for me

180lbs

yes, but use low heat and stir constantly, otherwise your potatoes will almost certainly burn

youtube.com/watch?v=MaiNVjr-HAs
Its the only thing to make when you fuck up.

Yeah, we know who it is; his recipe has already been posted.

Has anyone suggested half and half instead of milk? I use half and half.

How long would this take? I've been going at it for 20 minutes and it's not thickening. Thinking of just setting to high to see what happens