When did this truffle oil fad start?

When did this truffle oil fad start?

It tastes like shit and smells even worse, why not just stick to olive/corn oil ?

uh, like twenty years ago

99.99% of truffle oil isnt real

It started at stores that sell truffle oil.

Most truffel oil is olive oil parfumed with chemical 'truffle aroma' not made with real truffelsoon
And a lot lt of people don't keep oils refrigerated and they go rancid quick specially oils like walnut, hazelnut, pistachio, evoo...

This. If the oil has a shine that sort of looks like gasoline on asphalt it's flavored with the chemical.

>why not just stick to olive/corn oil ?

They're totally different things. That's like comparing a dump truck to a clothes-hanger; they have nothing to do with each other.

Truffle oil is a seasoning, it's not used for actually cooking food. Things like corn oil, soybean, canola, etc. are used with heat for their cooking properties. One is a flavor, the other is a cooking medium.

This. Most truffle oil is a cheap knockoff of the real thing and just is just cheap oil with a flavor added to it. Though, real truffle oil does exist. And there is also the juice from canned truffles that can be used in a similar manner. But yeah, 99% of it is artificially flavored crap. It's pretty obvious why they make it though--real truffles are expensive. Same reason why people buy artificially flavored "pancake syrup" rather than, say, actual maple syrup. There is always a market for shitty knockoff products.

it's a fad to shit on truffle oil. yes it's artificial, yes it tastes nice. you don't shit on people for using vanilla essence in cakes do you

>There is always a market for shitty knockoff products.

That's something I've really never understood. If someone can't afford the real thing, why substitute some chemical amalgamation whose only resemblance is the name?

>do you
I do... and fake butter aroma, fake almond aroma, fake strawberry in yogurt etc

Oh and people who use glutamate too btw....

then you're a cunt

> whose only resemblance is the name?

and the principle aroma molecule you walnut

Personally I agree with your sentiment. But to be fair, it does taste sorta like truffles, it's just nowhere near as good.

Though, I do have a theory here. I think a lot of people have never tried the "real thing" so they have no basis of comparison. For example, if you grew with your mom serving you fake pancake syrup instead of the real stuff then you would probably like it simply because that's what you're used to. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

>you don't shit on people for using vanilla essence in cakes do you

absofuckingloutely I do. Imitation products nearly always taste like crap compared to the real thing. When I cook with vanilla I bust out the whole beans and scrape the seeds into the dish.

you're broadly approaching the general truth that what is 'good' depends on your biases. and people are biased against fake truffle oil.

whoop de doo for you, but what about the people who can't afford vanilla beans? and what if they're making a high temperature product that would kill off the more volatile, subtle aromas of the bean?

>but what about the people who can't afford vanilla beans?

Vanilla is a luxury product. If you're too poor to afford a $2 bean then you probably ought not to be making that food in the first place. Focus on budget meals like beans and rice.

>>high temperature product
Vanilla esccence is alcohol based. Its volatiles evaporate just the same as a natural bean does.

>Vanilla is a luxury product

but vanilla essence isn't.

>Vanilla esccence is alcohol based. Its volatiles evaporate just the same as a natural bean does.

wow you don't know what you're talking about!

Why?? Because I prefer natural products and flavor and not cheap chemical replicates??

Please kys...

there is nothing inherently better or worse about 'natural/artificial' 'cheaper/more expensive', so yes you drawing arbitrary lines under those distinctions makes you a cunt.

>there is nothing inherently better or worse about 'natural/artificial' 'cheaper/more expensive',
Wow... just wow

Troll maybe?

>Vanilla is a luxury product. If you're too poor to afford a $2 bean then you probably ought not to be making that food in the first place.

I can't believe I just read that?
I guess it's some sort of joke right?

>wow you don't know what you're talking about!
Except he does

>>Vanilla is a luxury product
>but vanilla essence isn't.

I wasn't talking about the vanilla or esscence. I was talking about the dish you're putting it. Vanilla is mainly used in desserts. Desserts are a luxury. My point is that if you can't afford a $2 bean for your cheesecake, then you ought not to be making a cheesekake at all. If your budget is that tight then desserts seems like a silly waste of money.

>>wow you don't know what you're talking about!
Vanilla essence could mean one of two things:
1) it's alcohol in which real vanilla beans have been soaked. This is more commonly called "vanilla extract".
2) it's alcohol which has artificially produced vanillin added to it. It's the exact same chemical as one of those found in actual vanilla beans, thus it has the exact same vapor pressure and boiling point.

The reason why these aren't as good as real beans is because the former isn't fresh, and because the latter has only a single flavor compound in it as opposed to the larger number of varied flavors found in the actual bean.

There is no difference whatsoever in volatility.

> latter has only a single flavor compound in it as opposed to the larger number of varied flavors found in the actual bean.

which is the point i'm making. those are subtler and less prone to surviving high heat applications.

your point about 'freshness' is misleading. it's only pertinent where it affects the concentration of the molecule in question, which is controlled in vanilla essence.

>Vanilla is mainly used in desserts. Desserts are a luxury.

your point is that poor people can't eat desserts? what the fuck is wrong with you? i was hoping to make the point that if poor people can eat desserts, we should be able to eat truffle oil, but fuck man i didn't expect you to be a hyperconservative ass.

>your point is that poor people can't eat desserts?

Yes, exactly. If your budget is literally that tight then it's probably pretty dumb to be buying dessert. Priorities, man. It's like those people who can't pay their car insurance but seem to have no problem buying beer...

fresh vanilla makes cakes a lot more expensive. not only that, but it is generally associated with premium products. poor people buying budget products makes sense, wouldn't you agree?

Why are you even replying to this?

He obviously thinks he is top chef, whereas the reality is probably very different, don't waste your time he is being an ass.

>fresh vanilla makes cakes a lot more expensive.

Irrelevant. The point isn't "should I buy the cheap cake or the expensive cake". It's more llike:
>I can't afford the $2 vanilla bean, so maybe I shouldn't be buying ANY cake.

Also, vanilla beans aren't all that pricey, depending on where you shop. I get mine by mail-order. They're very high grade (Tahitian) and cost about $2 each. %-wise that is a lot more than imitation vanilla concentrate. But on a cost-per-cake it's not much. You're spending more on the rest of the recipe.

>>poor people buying budget products makes sense, wouldn't you agree?
To an extent. But when you're so poor you can't afford a $2 bean then I'm saying why make the purchase AT ALL?
Example:
If you're a rich man you buy a custom home theater
If you're the average joe you buy a flatscreen
If you're poor you have old TV
If you're so poor you don't have $2 then you don't buy a TV at all. See the progression? My point is that even using real vanilla in a cake isn't all that expensive. If you can't cover that price then you need to reconsider priorities.

>He obviously thinks he is top chef,

I'm not talking about cooking skill at all. I'm talking about economic decisions.

>If you're a rich man you have old TV
>If you're the average joe you buy a flatscreen
>If you're poor you buy a custom home theater
Fixed.

Kek, get out poorfag

If you can't cover that price you consider alternatives. The range of alternatives include no cake and a cake with synthetic vanillin. Don't get fucking preachy about which ones people pick. In any case, vanillin makes vanilla aroma available to people who wouldn't ordinarily have access to it in the form of vanilla bean. I don't think there's any sense in saying that *shouldnt* happen

>When did this truffle oil fad start?

Before you were even born.

>I don't think there's any sense in saying that *shouldnt* happen

At a certain point you hit a price threshold where you are so poor that cake should not be an option. The price of a vanilla bean is low enough that it exceeds that theshold.

What you are suggesting makes perfect sense if the prices were higher. For example, I totally understand someone buying a $5/lb cut of choice grade beef rather than splurging on a $50/lb dry-aged Prime. But a goddamn $2 vanilla bean? Whole different ballgame.

spoken like a true delusional spoilt child

Ecen if it has a piece of truffle in it?

1 bottle of vanilla extract = 2.50$
1 bean = 2$

1 bottle = 50-75 beans

2.50$ or 100-150$

Yeah. Fuck poor people.

What's the fucking difference between essence and extract

Heh, that picture looks like mickey mouse

I honestly don't understand the appeal
It tastes like fucking mold, more so than any other fungus apart from, you know, mold

*appeal to truffles

>there is nothing inherently better or worse about 'natural/artificial'
Is this a LOL thread?

we have an expert on eating rotten food he finds in the trash can there.

Stop using ellipses, you sound like a bitch.

It's a meme started by fine dining and artisan chefs to help sell disgusting knock-off product to stupid wannabe cooks who want to feel fancy but are dumb to realize theure being played.

Also the real stuff is useless since you can substitute it with a real sauce or reduction.

You fucking idiot.
I willing to bet you're a millennial.

>not coating your asparagus with truffle infused olive oil before you grill it

After, yes. Not before, imbecile. You just lost all the flavor and aroma. Very intelligent.

The stupid is strong with this one.