3 hour burger tutorial

To mark the joyful appointment of President Elect Trump this week... I'll show you how to make that classic American dish: burgers.

You join me as my butter-milk dough has doubled and my beef is semi-frozen.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8FqpqQgbZYM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Roll out your dough into buns and place them on a greased baking tray. Cover and leave them back in your warm place for 30-45 minutes.

Get to work dicing your semi-frozen beef as finely as you can. Once it's diced, pound it (I used a pestle and mortar) to encourage some cross linking of proteins so that it just about sticks together as a patty. Don't overwork.

Carefully uncover the risen buns and carefully brush with an egg yolk wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Throw them in the oven.

eurofag here, lurking
>teach me senpai

I'm listening OP

What kind of beef?

It has to be a marbled and high flavour cut. I'm using brisket and you can also use chuck but I might do ribeye or sirloin in future cause they are much easier to dice properly.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply buy minced beef from said cuts?

Buns done. Check they sound hollow to the tap and leave them to cool on a rack for at least 10 minutes before slicing because the middle continues to cook.

Post faster you gay fag of shit.

Why is the beef semi-frozen? Also, do you have a recipe for your buns?

When grinding beef it's better to have it semi-frozen for better texture. It will het mushy is you don't.

Assemble toppings. These are my strong recommendations.

Cheese patty in the style of American cheese. They don't sell American cheese where I am so I made this patty by melting cheddar into a small amount of water.

Sliced pickles.

Thin-sliced raw onion rings

Tomato ketchup

cook and take all the pictures before you make the thread next time

inauthentic

>so I made this patty by melting cheddar into a small amount of water.
..what? If anything you're supposed to melt it into milk.

Dry toast cut bun face for a minute or so and then remove.

Now form the meat into a patty, salt and fry. Being freshly ground and not overworked, it shouldn't have the same issues with bulging, curling or shrinking as pre-minced. Also you can have it rare if you want because mincing it yourself is safer.

I wouldn't use oil as it marrs the simple meat taste. Use clarified butter, lard, dripping or goose fat. I cooked it on a low heat and then finished under a very hot grill for 30 seconds for that slightly smokey taste.

And there you have it. Looks tall but once you put the top bun on and hold it... it's very simple to eat. The bun is robust enough for the purpose.

What the fuck

>Cheese patty in the style of American cheese. They don't sell American cheese where I am so I made this patty by melting cheddar into a small amount of water.
what the fuck are you doing
> raw onion
im out

There's nothing I hate more than someone who presents themselves as an authority on a dish and then botches it.

You're a clueless twat, OP.

Explain how you would do it differently then

looks a bit shit mate

He's trying to form the cheese into a patty, not make a sauce.
I don't see why he couldn't have just thin-sliced the cheese, but whatever.

Doesn't make my mouth water either

>ketchup in a cup
for what purpose

+1 for effort OP, but here's how we do it in 'Murica. Go to Walmart and purchase the following:
>squishy white buns
>80/20 ground chuck
>Walmart brand American cheese slices
>beer
Form patties, season with s&p or Lawrys if you're fancy. Crack open a beer and fire up the grill. Drink another while the coals ash over. Place patties on the grill and drink another beer and argue about the timing with whomever is lounging around with you. Place cheese slices, cover until it's nice and melted and burgers look like hockey pucks. Serve with katchup & yellow mustard and a side of tater chips.

>cheese patty
child, i am a burgerland lifer. that is simply the dumbest shit ever. if you want to ensure cheese melts, you put the lid of a pot or a metal bowl or the like over the top of the burger for a short while so it melts the cheese.

>I cooked it on a low heat and then finished under a very hot grill for 30 seconds
that means you probably overcooked it. quick sear, for a thin burger like that, 2-3 minutes on each side. the way you did it produced little to no maillard effect.

also, cut the onions thinner - use a mandolin if you lack a good knife/knife skills

tl;dr you ground your own beef, which is good. your buns don't seem awful, but you fucked up the burger completely. throw it out and try again

like so

>squishy
Nope. I'll never eat that kind of bread again. Be honest with yourself... that's not how your ancestors ate their burgers. Without freshly made artisan buns and super-fresh meat, burgers cannot be called a dish. If you want to claim otherwise, you'll be insisting that American cuisine is trash.

I agree that barbecuing the meat is best.

A truly authentic experience would feature charred hot dogs, with squishy buns, diced onions and yellow mustard as well as screaming at the TV screen when your football team gets a bad call, does something unfathomablely stupid and/or looses the game

>Without freshly made artisan buns and super-fresh meat, burgers cannot be called a dish.
yet you take perfectly good cheese and melt it in a fucking water
I don't know what the fuck was going through your head when you came up with that

Fine and high quality ingredients aren't what make a burger great.
Has Code Talker taught you anything?

youtube.com/watch?v=8FqpqQgbZYM

No, I'm familiar with the method of steaming the cheese onto the burger but I wanted the American cheese type experience where the cheese acts more like an emulsified, cheese flavour sauce.

Has everyone forgotten that American cheese is just an industrial blend of cheese and water anyway?

Furthermore cooking low and then adding scorching heat at the end is a legitimate way of cooking meats and the patty was cooked nicely.

So you've never eaten American cheese?... because that's what it is. Cheese, water and additives.

I enjoyed the hell out of this cook-a-long OP.

>Pro Trump
>Buns look great I like where this is headed
>Grinding his own beef Okay
>I made this patty by melting cheddar into a small amount of water?
>Forensic looking shot of grilling meat
>The sad final presentation

Bravo OP, Bravo, this is the shit I come to Veeky Forums for. Are you 14 years old living in Siberia? Keep your head up buddy.

*also feature

this started out so well

Recipe contains scorched milk, butter, sugar, dry yeast and white bread flour. It's in my book as "dinner rolls".

Oh and a mix of egg yolk and water for the wash

This is the same faggot that made that shit pizza fyi

Please rate and let me know what you want me to cook next!

You were doing ok until this mess of a patty

that's a sad looking burger

3/10

a bunch of stuff until you're good enough to post something worthwhile

Fuck you and your dead mother in your pro-Drumpf asses.

Dry.

Did you form that patty with a teaspoon? Maybe stick to the baking.

Alright OP I'll let you know how to improve this dish.

Your buns look good, not much to improve there.

Your patty sucks dick though for being freshly minced. What you want to do is make two patties around that size, maybe 1/4 pound or so. Loosely gather up the mince, and season one side. Place that side down into cast iron skillet preheated over medium high heat.

Grab a spatula or a pot or something and press down - like really press down, smash that bitch - on that patty to flatten it out onto the skillet. Season the other side facing you and wait a minute and a half before flipping it.

Once you flip it, then put your cheese on.

After another minute and a half (or so) you're ready to go. Do this for both patties and stack up together and your burger will be 1000% better.

And your toppings go on the bottom bun, to soak up the juices from the burger.

>80/20 ground chuck
70/30 you pompous POS

How did you make the dough? I've never made my own buns before.

Very nice buns, OP.

This thread went from bretty good to dog shit incredibly quick, congratulations OP.

>how we do it in merica
>buy anything other than a burger

pick one poser

You fucked up bad, OP. I hope you develop cancer and die a slow and painful death with naught but memories of those who hated you up until your demise.

Get fucked, faggot.

I made a bigger patty this time and poured the cheese mixture on top.

The bun looks great

4/10

Make Beef Wellington next

Looks good OP. Don't listen to all these faggots talking shit, they probably have never spent a day on the line in a real kitchen.

You made your own buns and minced your own meat, improvised with the cheese with what you had available for the cheese. The morons talking shit about how you made a cheese sauce must not have read that you wanted an American style cheese and you couldn't buy it.

There are so many cunty know it alls on this board it's ridiculous.