Hypothetical for you Veeky Forums

Hypothetical for you Veeky Forums

Imagine you left a bottle of whiskey open on the counter overnight, does the alcohol evaporate out of it leaving whiskey flavored water? Or is there still some alcohol there?

Should I pour it or drink it?

Pic not related.

no that's insane

Which is insane?

That's not how liquids work. You need to boil it that to happen.

Doesn't alcohol evaporate at room temperature? Like at 20-25ยบ?

It evaporates at 173F you screeching imbecile.

By the time the drink becomes a whisky, the alcohol is infused. You'd have to apply more heat to evaporate. Get your drink on, user

well really a seriously minor amount of alcohol is evaporated, but its to the point where it wont matter. long time drunk here.

then why does it evaporate quickly when I clean, say, metal or glass with it?

Alcohol evaporates faster than water.
Try learning a bit.

It's spread out thinly, so it requires less of a heat source for the particles to reach evaporating temperature, the same happens with water but pf course more slowly due to the lower boiling point

>ethanol has a vapor pressure of zero at less than 173F and standard pressure
lel no

>the same happens with water but pf course more slowly due to the lower boiling point
water is higher boiling than ethanol

are some people in this thread so fucking stupid and ignorant that they think 100C skin temp is needed for sweat to evaporate?

I know that if I make myself a drink and can't finish it, if I try and drink it the next day (18+ hours later) there's hardly a taste of liquor.

>water is higher boiling than ethanol
Then why does distilleries work?

Yeah sorry dude that was a typo on "lower" instead of "higher" the skin things was exactly what I was trying to get across

Heat to the point where the alcohol boils but the water doesn't, and collect the condensation. It's like you've never operated a still.

'Screeching imbecile' is the best insult I've read today.

Alcohol left in aerobic conditions slowly make vinegar. It's in the etymology of the word even. Vin - wine, aigre - sour. You can wait a few days for it to happen and then boil out the water, and the acetic acid will stay. The remaining liquid will be whiskey flavored vinegar

Are you retarded?

No, that's fucking retarded and easily disproven. If I left a glass of Wild Turkey 101 on my desk overnight (as I do every night) and the alcohol all evaporated, there'd be half as much liquid in the cup in the morning because it's 50.5% alcohol by volume. This is not the case; there's no discernable change in the volume, in fact.

You could weigh the bottle before and after to determine exactly how much liquid evaporated if you're really curious, I suppose.

Other user here, I can however vouch that a small amount of Wild Turkey does evaporate and dry into a malty brown stain after about three days.
Source: I went on a three-day weekend and forgot I left a tiny amount of WT on my desk.