What's the point of food prep?

What's the point of food prep?

To prep the food.

To prep food.

Congratulations OP, you win dumbest thread of the week.

T. Someone who's never set foot in a professional kitchen

Let's say someone orders braised short ribs at a reataurant. They probably want it to arrive in, say, twenty to forty minutes, depending on whether they ordered appetizers.

However, braising short ribs takes about eight hours. More, if you do your own butchery. And that's assuming you have stocks and so on already made- veal stock takes snother 8 hours to make, and if they use demi glace or glace de viande in their braising liquid, you can add another several hours to that. So assuming a braise with glace in it and butchery time, it'll probably take twenty hours or so to get that meat cooked with no prep. But wait, what about the other elements on that dish? They all need time too. By this time, our guest is long gone, he left without paying nineteen hours ago.

This is why prep exists.

You prove nothing

I know it's a joke but really?

Food prep is a profession. They prepare the ingredients so I can cook them. Prep cooks are vital and loved by cooks

To prep the bull.

Who loves prep cooks? I fucking hate those lazy, ambitiousless cunts. Not as much as I hate the guy who hired them, though.

because if you don't prep people have to wait anywhere from 1-18 hours for food at restaurants.

>ambitiousless

idiot

I love my prep cooks and I would hardly call them lazy. I don't that I would say they lack ambition either. Perhaps their ambition is to be a prep cook. Granted most of my prep cooks take the job looking to learn and move up but I've got one guy who has been working for me for years now as a prep cook.

I've asked him numerous times if he wants to be moved up or take a different position but he always declines so I stopped asking and told him to let me know if he changes his mind.

He is one of my best workers but he just prefers prep. He comes in more or less on his own time, largely works by himself, and just busts shit out and leaves. He works hard and get paid well.

Sounds like a faggot

Dubs say its possible but he does have a wife and kids.

I get where the guy is coming from. He is an older guy who has worked in kitchens for a quite a while so he is quick, works efficiently, and knows what he is doing. I rarely have to give him direction. He comes in, gets his shit done, and leaves. He works hard but doesn't really care anything about working on the line. He works downstairs with the pastry chef so its not super hot, he gets to work during the day so he can pick up his kids from school and spend time with them in the evening and on the weekends. He makes enough money to live comfortably without busting his ass on the line and working nights, weekends, and holidays.

Its actually a pretty sweet gig for him.

Sounds like a faggot

Underrated

You're in denial John. It's time to stop posting.

fuck off

I enjoyed your response despite the fact that you responded to a 15 year old that thinks hes trolling you.

Get a different job then you angry twat

FOOD PREP ALLOWS YOU TO COOK MORE ACCURATELY ESPECIALLY WHEN COOKING MULTIPLE DISHES

?

This

Thanks, I've been on Veeky Forums for a decade now and at this point I just post whatever I want regardless if someone is trying to troll or not. He might be a troll be he gave me a springboard to post a story relevant to the thread.

Your hot

My hot?

Go fuck yourself. I fucking love prep cooks. They make sure I've got the shit I need to cook for the day. Any chef who doesn't appreciate a prep cook is a piece of shit.

Why

'Gets paid well'

What do you mean specifically