Tfw fell for the carbon steel pan meme

>tfw fell for the carbon steel pan meme

Iktfb

Did you season it?

Yes but the seasoning comes off super easily and it sticks again

and you can't even fucking clean them

and you can't use metal spatulas or the seasoning comes off

reeeeeeeeeeee

You're not doing it right. Seasoning is literally burnt on grease. If it's not smoking like fucking hell you didn't do it right. Put a super-thin layer on like they say and then BURN that shit off. Do it on a BBQ outside if you can.

My pan came pre-seasoned, but the seasoning they put on is garbage.

I tried the flax seed oil in the oven for 500 degrees for 2 hours and let cool down method.
I did this 3 fucking times in a row to get multiple layers and it STILL didn't work.

Then I tried burning the shit out of onions and potatoes with canola oil on it and it slightly helped but the seasoning comes off super fucking easily when I use a metal spatula.

Also it's insane you can't even use soap to wash these things.
I was using a plastic scrubber and some of the seasoning still came off.

What the fuck?

there is literally zero reason in 2016 to use ANYTHING but ceramic pans

cast iron is a meme that requires too much upkeep
stainless steel is heavy and needs too much lube or else everything burns to it
teflon is literally cancer
carbon steel is overpriced

ceramic: light, basically non-stick, and CHEAP

the only flaw is you can easily chip it if you are a retard

>can't use on high heat

Aside from slightly higher prices why is carbon steel bad?

>non stick pan
>stainless steel pot
This is all you need.

>>non stick pan
sorry, I don't want my food to be tasteless garbage

What do you mean you can't use Ceramic pans on high heat? Does it destroy the pan or...?

If you want to spend 5 hours a day maintaining your cast iron skillet then go ahead.

bump

Make thinner layers. It will take time.

It just takes time. While it is building up just cook things that wont stick or where you can use the fond to make a sauce.

But what's the point if the seasoning comes off whenever I use a metal spatula?

Just use stainless steel you fucking numale

Don't use a metal spatula or at least don't scrape the shit out of your pan when you use one.

It takes time. Over time it will build up and then once it has built up enough it wont come up unless you sit there and gouge it with something metal. You can't expect a very thin coating to withstand that. Think of it like a piece of wood. at 1/4 inch its easy to break but stack up 10 of those and its much harder.

What are you making that you have to have a metal spatula for anyway? I could see using a light fish spatula sometimes but anything else and you shouldn't really need one.

>I want my food to stick

>What are you making that you have to have a metal spatula for anyway?
I always see people using metal spatulas

I can move the food around better because it's thinner.

I thought these things were supposed to be able to handle things like this.

>I always see people using metal spatulas
In saute pans? I can't remember the last time I used a metal spatula in any kind of pan other than a thin fish spatula which shouldn't disturb even a delicate coating.

>I can move the food around better because it's thinner.

Again, what are you cooking exactly? I can't think of anything that you would need a spatula for and where another utensil wouldn't work just as well or better with the exception of something very delicate like fish. We pretty much only use tongs, spoons, silicone spatulas, and maybe a whisk on the line.

>I thought these things were supposed to be able to handle things like this.

They can if you either A: don't want to season it or B: take the time to get it well seasoned. If you are going to scrape the shit out of the bottom of the pan then you can't expect a very light seasoning to last.

My suggestion would be to use it exclusively to shallow pan fry for a while until it is seasoned or to use other utensils in the mean time. Wood might be a good option for you.

Okay.

Should I completely scrub the seasoning off and start again?

What should I use to scrub it off perfectly?
Chemicals or something?

pic of my pan

No, it should be fine like that.

For cleaning, hot soapy water should do the trick. Just make sure to try it well after and then you can rub it down with a thin coating of lard afterwards.

I know it seems like a bitch but it just takes time and once you get it done you are set for a long time unless you fuck something up bad.

>hot soapy water should do the trick.
I heard you aren't supposed to use soapy water on it.

Also the seasoning comes off when I use a scrub pad on it.

The only time you use soap on it is if you're going to reseason it

Soapy water is fine. I've always used it on my cast iron and carbon steel and home as have my parents and grandparents and have never had a problem with seasoning and they go through far worse at work. The main thing is to make sure it is dry after using it and then putting a coating of oil on afterwards if needed.

Don't use a scrub pad or scrub really hard. Spend a couple weeks making fried food in it if you need to and it should do the trick and don't make things that are very sticky in it until the seasoning develops.

I recently moved in with roommates and they only have stainless steel it's so painful to cook on. I really need to go buy a new pan.

This is completely false. I have always used soap at home on cast iron and carbon steel and so did my parents and grandparent. I have many decades old cookware that is perfectly season despite always being cleaned with soapy water.

We also use them at work and guess what, they get washed with soap multiple times a day and they are all still perfectly seasoned. The important thing is keeping it dry. Soap wont hurt it.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for correcting me without being a huge dick about it.

THIS IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS. ANY PAN THAT REQUIRES YOU TO "SEASON" IT IS GARBAGE BY DEFINITION. COOKWARE SHOULD BE AS LOW MAINTENANCE AS POSSIBLE.

>he doesn't have to activate his pans by putting in the DRM code

>USING DENUVO PANS