You have 10 seconds to explain what a "meme food" is

You have 10 seconds to explain what a "meme food" is

what is a meme

Any food that is popular, that I don't like or I don't understand

Pretty much anything millennials come across that's new or unusal to them.

For me it is the McChicken the best fast food sandwich

Food that may or may not be good but that is ultimately treated as being a nearly perfect food item with a cult following that uses it in nearly everything.
See: Bacon, Avocado and Nutella for desserts.

sriracha
bacon
sous vide
bubble tea

term to rile up autists (You) on anime discussion forum section dedicated to talk about fast food and ramen

A food that has a popularity more relevant than it's application.

Chicken tendies. I...

except sous vide is a great technique and not a meme...

Avocado toast is the new meme food for woman

Fuck off, my grandma made that all the time for me as a kid

why are you people so offended by the term?

It's food memes eat, duh.

Because it's being misused, usually in a deliberate and silly manner. I've got no patience for that crap.

Why are you such a faggot
Enjoy eating your memefood

What a meme statement

Hello! Memester in denial, spotted!

Blue steak is a maymay

this is not a very dank meme, sir.

Any food people bitch about on Veeky Forums

legit was eating at a steakhouse one time and this guy ordered like a 50 pound tbone blue rare, and said it pretty loud across from his wife.

>50 pound

It's a food that's a meme. Veeky Forums will try to act like being a meme diminishes the food in some way but that's not true at all. The food or ingredient might be less "cool" because it's popular but only deep dick loving homosexuals care about that.

samefag

>That guy who replies half the thread.
End your fucking life.

nigger

Food that fags like.

Smashed Avocado
San Francisco style Toast
Sriracha sauce

meme foods in my opinion are foods that because popular due to trends they see on facebook or instagram and then quickly fade away. They might be nothing inherently wrong with the foods, like smashed avocado they might be awesome, but their increased popularity is simply due to them spreading through social media.

Meme in my view denotes something somehow gimmicky, like >le bacon on everything xdd

Well going by the historical definition:
>an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation.
So almost anything could be considered meme food. Shepard's Pie for the Irish, chicken korma for the Indians, Mesquite BBQ for Americans, etc. etc.

>Shepard's Pie for the Irish
>the Irish

Oh god no

Meme is a misnomer, the weak minds of the Zoroastrian cleaning products board mean "viral." In this sense, "meme" foods are the ones that are popular through a vitalization of their aesthetic components. The base attitude of the board is "outcast exceptionalism", meaning that anything that is mainstream becomes instantly anathema because the function of the board is to preserve "outsider taste" unique. If something is not obscure or esoteric or arcane or shocking to the common taste, then this identitary device loses its ability to establish a difference between the "us" and "them and, thus, loses its capacity to make the user feel special or unique. Given that most people here have very little going for their lives, they need to feel they they are superior at least by capitalizing untapped cultural landscapes, mirroring the logic that being the lonely king of a tiny island is preferable to being a below-average peasant in a rich kingdom.
"Meme food" then is anything that has been widespread and that has a status symbol attached to it, that is, that is has a cool factor that makes it viral. Veeky Forums likes fast food because, although it is popular, it is looked down upon. "meme food" is aything that Veeky Forums feels it threatens its cultish nerd superiority status.

samefag

Why does everyone ignore when the correct definitions are posted?

>food
>application

Food trend. Ingredient fast food chains suddenly pick up on for a time because there is sudden novelty in it. Movie had it...celebrity mentioned it...etc.

Pretzel buns. Where did pretzel buns come from?

this is true but those are like the kings of the memefoods, I think it can be shorter lived too.

uniting concept is people want it for no reason but the level of worship varies.

Bacon:
>shirts
>bandaids
>soaps
>soda
>cologne
>in milkshakes
You're telling me all of the above aren't just because it's popular?

bee misses you faggot

You know that these definitions are formally good but that in reality 'meme' is just used for whatever you don't like.

Food that a few people do really good but most people do really shitty. Examples: pulled pork, bahn mi, sliders, "gourmet" burgers, fried Mac n cheese.

If a meme is defined as a particular piece of culture that spreads from person to person following the rule of natural selection, then an example of a meme food could be deep fried candy bars that arose at American state fairs and spread to other countries.

Sambal oelek is the new sriracha.
Also:

- Drizzle everything in olive oil.
- Iron Cast is the new wok
- Shallot is the new red onion
- Faggotry is the new dish
- Faggot-jew is the new chef.

Anything overposted on Veeky Forums that everyone hates.

Pretty sure he was asking for an objective definition and not a subjective list.

But okay.

In short, it's trendy food. It can occur in many different formats, one being food that has existed for as long as anyone can remember, but has recently exploded in popularity. Sriracha and bacon come to mind. Similarly, ethnic food can often become a meme. The vietnamese have been eating pho for god knows how long, but somehow it has become increasingly popular in the last decade or so in America. Cooking methods can be memey too: sous vide, wood fired, dry aging. These are all things that are good, but sometimes receive an inflated amount of attention.

It's not like we don't eat it on the reg

Hey, look, I'm eating THIS thing! Yeah!
*waggles eyebrows*

Because this is a meme thread.

You're right. I just wanted to name the worst offenders since there's also people with bacon necklaces, avocado tattoos and Nutella cell phone cases.
Food trends also seem pretty random to me. Kale, for example: Kale is a huge part of my area's culture and suddenly I hear that they're going crazy for it in the US.

And both Nutella and kale have been omnipresent in mine since before I was even conceived as a concept, never mind born.

Also, why would anyone get a Nutella phone case, anyway? It would make a mess of your ear, hand and shoulder.

Somebody posited the idea that kale is the ultimate in nutrition, so it's like another perfect food. People like instant fixes.

Nutella I don't understand, but maybe a combination of the funny name and being devilishly bad for you. The fact that the same people go crazy for perfect bad foods and perfect good foods at the same time is an indication of how meaningless it is...

>Kale is a huge part of my area's culture
Are you Irish? Colcannon sounds like it would be uncomfortably stringy.

btw I guess Superfoods are a special category. Superfoods are put in everything because people are suddenly made aware of their nutritional value, but such foods don't necessarily generate all that random merchandise. Kale has both. It has some kind of weird identity now. As a meme.

But then there's like, acai berries, which never got to that point, but every 'healthy' restaurant chain will include it on their menu, totally mindlessly. You could call that a meme too.

Regular food that has been around forever but It becomes trendy and gets marketed to hell and back as being amazing and oh my god you should try it.
It's still the same old shit tho just with a crappy twist

autist on Veeky Forums likes a certain food, because it's good and not that common and just about anyone would like it. Then the "normies" start liking it, or they always did and the autist is just starting to notice. Since the autist has been rejected his whole life by "normies", he has to find ways to reject them before they can reject him, so he creates a label - "meme food" and applies it to that food so he can insult the normies and feel some small personal victory. The normies don't notice or they don't care because they are content with their lives and the autist isn't even on their radar.

>trying to sound superior by shitting on imaginary people who try to sound superior
nice try butthurt normie

found the autist

Any food that reddit likes.

Bacon has been a staple of the American diet since we were founded.

They had bacon in China at least by 1500 BC.

marketed as a healthy probiotic drink but has more sugar (11g) per oz than coca cola (9g). to this day, it manages to be a lucrative company despite japan being very pro-health.