Al/ck/y thread: Your Future edition

Last one hit bump limit

previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

bartenderjourney.net/drinks.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuck, copy paste job it is for the music bros

I always find myself in really bizarre shit from where I started, but when I am fucked I go with it and listen loud.

Last night was Entombed Left Hand Path, never listen to metal normally but I like it.

Night before was a band called Reckless Kelly and the song was Crazy Eddies Last Hurrah, really good shit too. Again, would never normally listen to that.

God bless cheap whisky

I"ve been sober a year and a half and, while I"m much better looking now, nothing else has improved. I don't know what's wrong with me.

I really needed drinking to be the thing that was ruining my life and now I've discovered that it really wasn't the problem. Fuck.

fuck that shit doesn't belong here

This is the root problem I think, we often look to blame our alcoholism for everything wrong in our lives and then are disappointed when we've quit and nothing has improved. However, I think our alcoholism is just a symptom of our failure and not the root cause of it all.

How long did it take for your appearance to start getting a bit better? I've quit a few times and it always varies when I stop looking like death.

im sleeping on a piss stained sheet

kill me now

Literally what always happens to me. I'm sober for a month and realize that nothing's changed and I just feel like anxious piece of shit even without drinking and then I drink for a week straight.

i had a few months where i would get blackout drunk and piss the bed about once or twice a week. i'm so glad that hasn't happened in months

I went pretty hard in the gym and fixed my diet to keep me off of booze and I looked much better at 30 days sober. I had abs at 9 months sober.

I think we fall into that trap because of the success stories of others, whose lives turned around after putting down the bottle. But the likelihood is that they were happy people with plenty going for them who just happened to drink themselves into a shitty place, due to either gradual addiction or some traumatic event. Take away the alcohol, and they're the same lively, outgoing, optimistic person that they always were. Take my alcohol away, and I'm the same depressed, lonely sack of shit I've always been.

so glad im not alone in this

my record is 5 months sober

I wasn't any happier. at all.

For me, and I guess you could classify it as a failing, I can't function in a social setting without drinking. I can work and interact without drinking where things are focused on accomplishing something. But just being around people casually without alcohol? I can't cope with it.

lol, if I live as long as that dude
I can agree with these posts.
I haven't been sober for more than a month in the past 9 years I don't think. Definitely not more than 2 months for a fact.

Have you had a general check up with a physician in recent times?

If yes, what was the verdict on your health?

Marijuana saved my life. Just saying.

Yeah I have. Actually just at the very end of last month I thought I might be having a heart attack even though I'm only 27. I knew in my mind that I really didn't think I was going to die that day, but I had to go to the ER because I had never felt so fucked up before even though there was no pain.

I was hyperventilating and couldn't slow my heart down. Definitely panicking. They gave me an EKG and took my bloodwork, and then set me up with an IV of Ativan and vitamins since I finally let it slip that I had a history of drinking, didn't matter because I went to detox for the first time for 4 days earlier this year in the same hospital network so they know I'm in there.

After about an hour I could control my breathing and the ativan seemed to fix me up whether I truly needed it or not. In the end they didn't say anything was wrong with my heart and that there was no medical reason any of it should have happened.

I forgot to include that my limbs were locking up so hard it was impossible for me to unclench my fists and the only thing they said was wrong with me was that my potassium levels were low. After I spent just a little while with a drip I was fine for the rest of the day and the day after.

I probably just had a really unmitigated panic attack and I haven't ever had one as bad as I did that day. I mean, no one really knows.

Ah yeah that shit's happened to me. It basically ruined my life because now I'm scared of pretty much everything. Anything that makes me feel scared or panicky makes me feel like that's about to happen again

I know your feeling. I can usually supress my anxiety on my own with the help of an SSRI, but nothing had ever hit me so hard before, I just had to go in. I've felt basically completely fine since then though (aka not in any danger for the time being).

>drinking for years
>whenever i wipe my ass loads of blood is there
If I'm lucky I'll die soon

Bright red or darker?
If it's bright red you just need to drink Metamucil every day.

It's both, it seems to be random

u prolly just have a bloody booty

I've had extremely bloody wipes before but honestly it was just probably because I've had hemorrhoids for years. Even then it's like only happened to me twice. I've never outright shit blood or anything. If you're not spraying blood out of your ass I think you can live.
Just be careful and try not to die.

You literally just described a panic attack. Insanely common in alcoholics. I would know, I go through them all the time.

Check its not ur anti-depressents. I was drinking too much, getting arrested and pssing the bed because of AD's and not controlling drinking.

I know I did, I've had them before but to me it was in the top 2 I've ever had and it felt extremely different. The whole time I was going in I was pissed off because I knew it was probably just a panic attack but I couldn't stop it.

If the red is bright and pronounced you probably just have hemorrhoids. Big difference from blood from your anus or from internally.

not on any. when I first started having withdrawals a doctor gave me like 100 benzos. ''take one a day'' yeah, right. I went through them like candy and got royally fucked

not going back on those things

and I just realized - that was 3 years ago

Been a daily drinker for years. The other night I stayed in and didn't drink before bed. Woke up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat and thought I saw shit in my room.
I've always joked about it for years but now I think I officially have a problem.

If you've been a daily drinker for years you were probably already aware of it. That night terror just made it hard to continue ignoring.

I havent had a drink in 6 days

Its my first day in a long time without liquor. I kind of cheated though. I was stuck at work late and the liquor stores were closed by the time I got off. But still, I feel good. I think I'll enjoy going to sleep sober tonight.
Tomorrow is my day off however and those are the days I drink the most (obviously). Wish me luck tomorrow. And remember, its ok to be a quitter.

Nice. Keep it up.

Anyone ever have any issues with dissociation during the day?

I've been having really strange bouts of not feeling like I'm in my own body. I'll go to scratch my face or touch my arm, and it doesn't feel like it's me doing it and it comes as a surprise. Is this just stress/anxiety? I've started cutting back after I seem to have developed an irregular heartbeat and some gnarly muscle knots in the back of my shoulders.

Normal drinking a day is about ~180 ML of hard liquor and 3 brews (Brown Shugga' lately). Essentially been doing this for 4 years, with a year, maybe year and a half, of sobriety thrown into the mix.

bought an 1/8th of some dispensary weed hoping it would help me drink less but its a sativa so it still makes me want to drink a little bit at the end of the night but its okay.(pic is same strain with the dispensary name edited out.)

Well done, mate.

You lads are my favourite people. I visit lots of websites like /r/cripplingalcoholism and stuff. I'm not even a cook(but i actually want to be one deep inside). but you guys are my favourite peoplee. I'm an alcoholic and DI like it here the best

Cheers, lads. I got this 1L bottle of vodka. Tomrrow is my 21tst birthday, I've been drinking since 13th from morning to evening. Mostly 7.5% beer, I'm lithuanian btw. Chairs

Ive been drinking everday since I turned 18. Literally. And mostly vodka everday for the last 20-30 months.

And I useed to drink 2L of vodka every day at some point. I'm lithuanian btw. Yeah this isn't a competition but reading those posts of americans who sound under-age and who brag about drinking 0.5L of vodka everey day for the last 3 months is fucking hilarious.

me the lad

CARMELITA! HOLD ME TIGHTER!

bros

Cmon lads. I wish i had some kibinai right now

Those are like meat pastries. OR Empanadas. But lithuanian and superior. Really

i've had what you've had with the panic attacks and locking of the limbs. i actually had to have one of my friends literally pour some vodka in my mouth right outside of the liquor store on time because i couldnt unclench my fingers to grab to bottle.. it wasn't a fun experience. i try not to go on long binges anymore because the withdrawal just continues to get worse and worse. dat kindling effect.

Tips for drinking at work?

hmm.. depends on what kind of job you have. i'm an alcoholic pizza delivery driver. probably the most convenient job you can have if you want to drink at work.. yet also the worst job to have if you are an alcohol. i sense a dui in my near future.

The odds of hemorrhoids are far more likely than organ damage senpai
if it's bright red you're good

not sure if I'm an alcoholic. the line becomes blurrier every day.

i like beer though

I work in an office. My goal is to have a light buzz, achieved by taking vodka shots. I'm just worried about smell

vodka is the way to go if you want the least amount of smell on your breath.. but don't be tricked into the "you can't smell vodka on breath at all" meme. i'd say get a decent buzz before going in, and then take single shots throughout the day to maintain it.. take an altoid in between shots. i find them to be the strongest mints. it is still going to be really riskier either way though. i'm lucky since half the time i am in my car, and if not in my car, i work in a kitchen that smells strongly of pizza, and in the kitchen i kind of just do my own thing. i dont really have to talk face to face with anyone. also,.. be carefully about keeping a buzz throughout the day. this will make withdrawal horrible.

You really cant just mask your breath because the smell is coming from your lungs, not your mouth.
Best bet is to try to make people not breathe around you by never bathing or eating lots of canned fiah products etc

Just wondering! Im an on and off drinker month almost daily, months without and so the cycle continues. It doesnt really disrupt my life and I am healthy otherwise! However Im a week out and I still feel bloated and distended. How long does this take to go away for you guys? Never really kept track in the past of how long it takes, but I have important things to look good for this weekend.

Should I be knocking back waters like crazy or something? Thanks guys and remember if youre going to be an alch to at least take your vitamins!

Kill yourself before you kill someone else you piece of shit.

don't worry buddy. if you're anything like me, eventually get to the point where you smell so bad because you haven't showered or changed your clothes in days.. people will smell that instead of the liquor

honestly, im not sure you can hide the smell in a small space. ive gotten into a car after about 12 shots and he said it smelled ''boozy''

try pickle juice though. its also good on a hangover. I wish I still got hangovers. now I get the shakes and paranoia

Reposting this in the seemingly more active thread.

What's a good way to basically become an amateur bartender? I want to get a minibar for my place eventually but don't really know any drinks.
Where can I learn a bunch of drinks rather than just random googling for hours?

...it would take you hours to google "Top ___ Staple Drinks for a Bartender to Know"

Oh, wow! Look at that!
bartenderjourney.net/drinks.html

Wow, you know, you're right! I hate human interaction as well! Thanks!

what were you expecting people to say here besides link to some resources.
You literally ask for a place to "learn a bunch of drinks".

Youre on Veeky Forums. There already is no human interaction.

I figured an alcohol general would know better resources than what 5 seconds of googling would bring. Veeky Forums is actually pretty good at that sort of thing.
>There already is no human interaction.
>hurr durr we're all neets meme

Still checking, just looking for tips to reduce bloating and general ugly stomach. No weight was gained... I know /alch/ isnt for people who quit generally but you must have tricks to deal with it so youre not constantly changing pant sizes.

>been drinking 1 to 2 shots daily for a few days

help me lads

Drink more you faggot.

seems like a slippery slope to more problems than i need.

are those 2 liter bottles of hard cider?

What said.

30 days, go hard in the gym, be sober. I shed pounds like a motherfucker. And your face will be the most noticeable. I've only been able to stay sober for maybe 2 months, but I lost 40 pounds by then, and that was being healthy and not starving myself.

>get into a workout routine for a few months
>happy about the results
>alcoholism creeps up
>destroy gains for hooch
>getting random heart pains and palpitations, liver starting to hurt and tired all the time

I just want to train and drink. Thats all.

>1 to 2 shots daily
That's literally like having one or two beers a day, which an enormous number of people do.

Only way to really swing that is a couple beers, no more than 2 in a sitting, every now and again.

>Go to the beer store today
>Bringing my haul up to the till
>Bottom of the box rips and all of the beers fall to the floor
>Panic
>Run away

Seeing that much beer rolling around and then not buying beer, is torture. Wtf

Currently debating whether or not to go buy a bottle of vodka once the shop opens at 9. Been up all night and ran out of alcohol like 2 hours ago. Anxiety is taking over right now. It's a chore to do anything without alcohol in my system I panic over literally anything and now I'm gonna have to be the one in line asking for a litre of vodka having a panic attack at 9am. Fuck my existence.

Just hit up the liquor store after work. Got this fucking monster.

I seriously thought it was light beer when I bought it (hence the large can), but it's 8%. I guess this is what's called "malt liquor"? Like Special Brew (Carlsberg) and Colt 45. It was also really fucking cheap.

I also got Guinness Blonde (wanted regular Guinness, but only blonde came in single serve), pre-mixed Jack and Cola, and 375ml of Bailey's.

Drinking the Jack and Cola tonight, the Guinness tomorrow, the Bailey's (maybe half, maybe all of it) Thursday, and the Labatt is for Friday (basically two beers in one can).

>three weeks without a pause of good drinking, except in the morning
>either 12 beers a night, almost as many cans of hard cider, half a gallon of cask wine or most of a bottle of gin
>finally get around to clearing out all the cans and cardboard
>use the dozen or more gin bottles as vases, for drinking water or just forget about them
>family comes to visit for a meal and to help harvest garden/make chutney and passata etc.

Lots of strange uncomfortable expressions as they notice the gin bottles.
>mfw I might be an alcoholic
It doesn't hamper me much and I'm still in my 20s.

What have I got to worry about with liver damage? Is it volume or frequency of drinking or both?

>25 and drank everyday since I was 17
>At 23 start getting crippling stomach pain
>Gf at the time makes me go see doctor.
>multiple blood tests etc
>I have "enlarged liver apparently"
>your gonna die if you don't stop user
>too drunk to care, can't even remember how serious they said it was. They didn't set a date it could be years right?
>GF said she'd leave if I don't stop
>stop for 4 month feel good but bored as fuck
>have one drink to calm down before going for a meal
>told you it was me or the drink user! GF ends 3 year relationship because of one drink. Don't even fight it
>pack my shit and go straight to buy vodka
>Sat on ck drunk as fuck with crippling depression and slowly dying
>just coughed up blood about 20 minutes ago feel like shit
>still to drunk to care. Cheers!

Glad to have you, brother

Nah, i've never really been happy. Diagnosed with depression at a very young age. Nothing really going for me. I'm just a hairdresser. I make shit money. I was in a long term relationship that was going nowhere.

I've been sober now for 7 months, pregnant with my first child. My life isn't exactly turned around. It's going in a much different direction. And it's not going to be easy. I still wouldn't consider myself a happy person. I have moments.

I can say despite all that though, it does really feel nice to be sort of normal again. To not spend every day in isolation slowly drinking myself to death. It feels better than I ever thought it would. I realized I haven't completely wasted my life yet.

I figured the same thing once but soon learned that beer tastes so good when I'm high

you'll probably die in your early 40's if you dont die from withdrawal first.. you should stop.. or atleast dont drink vodka or any spirits for that matter

Been on a bender since Friday. Two pints of Old Milwaukee and then I'm done for the next couple of days. If I don't taper I get a terrible head fog that ruins me for a day.

>no frosty jacks
c'mon lad

Happy belated birthday bro

Thanks. And I'm not bothered at this point, I wasn't even planning on living to 30 desu I'm too far gone to stop

What do I do?
>Try to stop, intense boredom/anxiety
Can't drink moderately, because If i'm alone I drink everything around me
>Used to smoke stimulants (recently stopped) and drink an upwards to 2-4 liters per 24-36 hours
>Heart palpitations cause me a great deal of discomfort

I assume gradually buying less (I have to borrow all money , my wife is starting to hard loaning me cash I never pay back) while getting a damn job/more hobbies to end the soul-crushing boredom, will help.

How do I stop the anxiety? I feel like I can't be myself unless I am intoxicated one way or the other.
How do I pick up the pieces and make new hopes & dreams from this damaged past?

I heard a few other people on here are sober and/or sobering up so I thought their might be insight on the baby steps towards getting myself on track.

two weeks ago I walked out of detox and straight to the liquor store. my stomach hurt so bad only straight liquor would calm it down

cheers fellow user

Honestly, you just have to give it a time. Trust me, I know how hard it is, but seriously just give it time. Every thing does start to improve...slowly at first, but things start to pick up. You have to put effort in though, you have to just keep reminding yourself over and over that it does get better. I promise you it does, but you will have to grit your teeth for a bit and stay positive. That whole thing about taking life "one day at a time" never made sense to me until I was sobering up. Now it's exactly the way I have to live my life if I want to stay out of the hospital due to withdrawals. I had two stays for that reason, and they were some of the worst days of my life. I will never go back there for that ever again.

The best part is that you start to discover, or even re-discover, parts of yourself that you will genuinely like. For me, it was my humor and my love of music. It's nice feeling like a somewhat-normal person. I still struggle at times, and I'm not proud of those times, but the improvements I've made are something I'm very proud of. You'll enjoy learning more about yourself as you go too, it's very satisfying, but remember that you have to accept yourself, even the bad stuff. People can always always change, they just need to want it.

Something someone said to me when I was at one of my worst points was "it didn't get bad overnight, and it isn't going to get better overnight". So please remember that, too. It will take time, but I guarantee you with 100% certainty that you will not regret sobering up if you choose to do that. You will be happier with yourself than you ever thought you could be. Good luck. I'm on these threads frequently, and even though we don't know each other, just know that there is someone out there who has been through what you've been through. You are not alone out there.

>Try to stop, intense boredom/anxiety
That's by far the worst part.
Just make yourself suffer through it. Read a book, watch movies, do absolutely anything you can find. You're going to feel insanely bored because your brain is firing on all pistons instead of being numbed out by booze so nothing is going to seem that interesting.
Once you readjust to that it gets a lot easier to drink less.

Learn a language or something.

I was sober for 4 months.

Fell off the wagon.

Went from feeling way too much sober to feeling literally nothing now.

Im so apathetic. I drink a few beers a night and avoid liquor but i dont know whays worse: feeling everything or feeling literally nothing.

Cant fucking win

Pretty much the same. I know it's trading out one thing for another, but at least with weed I'm not destroying my organs slowly but surely.

Don't. It's not worth it, seriously.

Honestly if anyone drinks and drives it should be years into it alcoholics rather than a dudebro with low tolerance who can black out from playing too much beer pong.
Drinking and driving? No, it's never good, but it is a meme that there is no one on earth who can't drink and drive.

off the top of my head, and I am a neet by the way:
To please most people I'd say know how to make:
screwdriver
bloody mary
margarita
manhattan
martini - vodka and gin versions
gimlet
most people just ask for typical mixer bullshit like rum and coke
have some Campari on hand
know some stupid shit like sex on the beach and the like
have some grenadine on hand
have soda water and tonic water on hand
lemons and limes
Slow gin fizz
Old fashioned
Sazerac
Seriously people usually don't ask for very complicated drinks most of the time

I've been drinking a lot for 9 years and the only difference is I went from a 32 waste size to a 34.

I'm going to piggy back off this question. It's damn near impossible for anyone to hire a new bartender and train them, so how do you get into the business? Work your way up from being a server?

Bar backing is the same thing. 1-2 minimum years of experience. This is Atlanta, if it matters at all.