Chili

Gonna show Veeky Forums my chili recipe.
Start to finish 45mins.

Start by cooking some diced bacon in a heavy-bottomed pot.

I'm interested in seeing your recipe, but I can tell you right now, that if you're only simmering your chili for 45 minutes, it's not good. Chili is meant to simmer for a long period of time, until everything is amalgamated.

Next I season some ground beef with plenty of salt pepper and cumin. I roll it into meatballs.

Flourescent lights in the kitchen makes things look not as colorful on this camera unfortunately.

I've made some pretty good chili in about 45 minutes.

Cook it as long as you want. Also I should warn you I'm not a chili traditionalist in any way.

Slice up some onion next. Once the bacon is done I take it out with a slotted spoon. At this point you can start cooking your onions in the bacon fat.

It was shit.

That pot is interesting. Is that cast aluminum?

>Flourescent lights in the kitchen

Ugh....I also have fluorescent lighting in my kitchen and it drives me mad. It makes everything look washed out and sickly.

You can immediately add your meat balls. Brown them on all sides first before breaking them in half, then eventually into bite size pieces. This slows down moisture loss and allows you to brown and sear the meat rather than boil it.

if i'm lazy can i just cook the bacon with the onions

Not sure, I suspect steel. Club brand. Got it cheap at a resale store years ago.

I flipped a few times but got them browning good eventually. Had to drain some fat.

Some of my flavor enhancers. I'll tell you when to add them.

I don't see a problem with that.

At about this point I add minced garlic, tomato paste and anchovy paste. At least a tablespoon of each for a big pot. Let it fry for 30 seconds to a minute then add a can of fire-roasted diced tomato. If you really like tomato add 2 cans.

>anchovy paste
well guess I'm done following this thread

Once your tomato is in I add 2 teaspoons of worchestershire sauce, 2 of soy sauce, about a 1/4 bar of dark chocolate. Bring to a simmer and pour in 3 to 4 cups of chicken broth.

Then I add my beans. Some people don't like beans in chili, I do. I actually cooked my own beans this time but canned beans are honestly just as good. If you cook your own, do it seperately and be aware it takes 3 hours or more. Just use canned ffs.

Nobody tell him about anchovy paste! It'll be our little secret.

Dude, you're making ragu, not chili.

>beans
This triggers the cu/ck/ but I love beans in my chili.

Add salt to taste. If it's bland, you need a lot more salt.

Add back in your bacon.

For heat I use Chipotle in adobo sauce. It has a really rich, complex smoky heat. It is far superior to gritty chalky cayenne pepper. I have people in my family who like it mild, so I keep the chipotle in adobo on the side.

Serve with chopped onion and sour cream. Enjoy!

(This last picture is after adding more beans, the color darkened and looked better. This batch turned out really flavorful, I think it's a winning recipe.)

>19:26:29
>19:26:28
You broke it

OP here. I put anchovy paste in almost all of my soups, it's a great flavor booster and not at all fishy. Anyone who hasn't used it should try it.

Fish sauce is good in some soups too but smells a little fishy unless you cook it at least an hour.

No chili powder? Dafuq is this shit?

you should try unsweetend coco powder, i switched to that and like it a lot more. also, does the anchovy and bacon make it too salty?

It sure as hell isn't chili.

i would never claim to make chilli on Veeky Forums i would call it a tex-mex stew or something to avoid all the autists

Nope. It's gritty and chalky unless you add so little you can't taste it so what's the point. That's where the chipotle in adobo sauce shines, and it's so much more rich and complex.

I have, but often add sugar if I do. So then I figured why not just dark chocolate?

I like where this is going.

where are you chilli user?

Semi related - I made a bratwurst today

That's it. Do you have a question?

I'll make some more threads like this again. My chili is just an easy weeknight thing I like to make.

That's it? Looks rather soupy. Didn't you simmer it longer to thicken it? Why no final picture of your plating?

Good thread but I need some closure.

>meatballs
>chili

did you at any point drain the literal cup of grease out of there

did you actually read all of his posts, or just stop when you saw "balls"

thank you for the recipe and contributing to the board!

Protip: replace your cool blue-white florescents with warm yellow-whites
Best decision I ever made.

It was nice and thick from the home-made bean broth. I prefer corn starch to thicken but didn't think it needed it.
I didn't plate because I didn't actually have sour cream or green onion. Sorry, I'll do better next time.

Yes, when the meat was almost done cooking. It was actually almost a cup too.

Thanks

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Would eat / 10

I don't know about the anchovies...but I understand. Ever since I started making some g'damn Thai shit, I've been tossing fish sauce in damn near everything as a replacement / supplement to salt.

>Beans in the pot

Annndd you ruined it