To Sous Vide or not

Hey ck

I'm thinking about cooking a steak by Sous Vide style cooking (Boiling a Steak in a marinade till cooked)

Is it worth it? Is it delicious?

My GF thinks it will turn out disgusting.
Anyone have experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xGUwDi3k-hY
military.com/daily-news/2015/01/28/pentagon-tells-congress-to-stop-buying-equipment-it-doesnt-need.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08
amazon.com/Dorkfood-Sous-Vide-Temperature-Controller-DSV/dp/B0088OTON4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What cut?

meme method

To get the crust right you need to finish it in a pan anyway. It's fun to do but a bit overrated. Very practical for professional kitchens though.

Your pic shows the reason someone would use sous vide. You get the protein to the exact level of doneness you want all the way through, then just sear the outside. It's also easy. There's no judgement calls involved. It's a completely controlled way to do it, and your steak will come out perfect every time.

>Boiling a Steak in a marinade till cooked)
Sous Vide does not entail boiling.
I feel you are not ready for this type of cooking.

>the protein
cringe

explian

Sous vide is pretty great, but it's certainly not "boiling in marinade".

Yeah it's worth a try. Just do it on the stove top with a pot of water and thermometer. look up how chef john does it, I seared at the end though.

that's not sous vide though. google it

>boiling in marinade

wew lad

Or you could just reverse sear in the oven. Same results without the extra equipment needed.

>2016
>Boil in the bag

An hero

Kind of a pain to setup compared to a simple frying pan, I'd only do it if you're having trouble getting your steaks perfect the traditional way.

Unbeatable for dinner parties though. I had a bunch of people round mine last month:
>sous vide 6 steaks to perfect medium rare
>prep sides while they're cooking
>Quick deep fry the steaks all simultaneously to get a crust
>Brush with thyme infused butter
>Serve everyone equally perfect, hot steaks at the same time

Thats not how sous vide works

>the protein
stop

why

Isn't that what you'd be cooking sous vide though? You're not using it to do the starch or veggie components of a meal most of the time. It's the protein that people use sous vide for.

wild protein autist

>undercooked
When will this meme die? Blue is best

This desu, sous vide is a godsend when it comes to worry free cooking.

Think of it being the fancy equivalent of a Pressure Cooker/Crock Pot. You can literally set it and forget it.

The best steaks I've ever had were smoked though, either charcoal or mesquite. But that can require a lot of work usually 1 man taking care of the grill all day. When you don't have that luxury get the water bath out.

Also I recommend a sauce to go with Sous Vide Steaks, I adore Chimichurri.

I haven't had cilantro with a steak before
What kind of sides would I have with a chimichuri steak?

Get one.

Once you get a hang of it, you wont get better steaks elsewhere.

It's a memester's way of preparing a steak because they either cant handle cooking like a normal human being or can't smoke the meats which even a lazy-eyed nigger can do.

Buying one is retarded, a pot of water, a glad bag and a thermometer do the same thing

You can do this if you're poor
If you're not you can buy one and not have to babysit the temperature

Its $200 spent on better things. The temperature barely fluxuates once you know what to put your element on

What's the point of sous vide when putting the steak in a low oven after searing achieves the same effect?

Besides, does anyone really give a flying fuck about that tiny, marginal band of well done meat below the crust?

These days they are only $130 for the bluetooth ones...
At least for me $130 makes it an option, $200 was too much. Idk if that makes a big difference for others.

As always if you use it regularly or are in some industrial setting its justifiable, but not for a family or single person thay uses it omce weekly

lol I am an individual who would likely only use it weekly and for large meals for special occasions but I consider it well worth the investment.
The results pretty much speak for themselves imo.

i'm not a filthy fucking commie.
I cook my steak the American way, over an open flame. only faggots boil their steaks.

I think the more valuable applications of sous vide are things like poultry.
You can literally get away with cooking it to a lower temperature, and the difference in moisture loss and texture is huge.

>but not for a family or single person thay uses it omce weekly

poorfags really feel this way over $200?

must suck not earning $300k a year, but then none of you have the talent I have so it's understandable I guess

I have one and it makes the best meat ever hands down. The downside is it can take several hours for what would take a skillet 20 minutes. Also on the downside, you need to get it back on the stove top to give it a nice crust and not let it look disgusting.

>perfect steak
>not Pittsburgh

Damn, shit taste you got there.

>wanting your meat marinated in plastic chemicals

Those bags probably come from china and are made from recycled condoms and shit, fuck that.

Let me guess ,do you by any chance work at Wendy's?

its fucking meat you pretentious poofter. protein is a small component of it

i wanted steak not a fucking roast beef

Acceptable bait, 5/10

Learn to cook.
youtube.com/watch?v=xGUwDi3k-hY

Let me guess, you have a PhD in Math?

Apparently The Keg does Sous Vide now for all their steaks, and they cook a damn good steak. It's worth it if it's done properly.

some of the best potatoes I've ever had were cooked with butter and thyme in a vac bag

Do you only eat meat once per week? Things like chicken, pork, lamb, eggs and fish are also much nicer when cooked sous vide, it's not exclusively for cooking dank steaks

Lmao fucking cave man with no ability to understand or try anything new.

No point sous viding steaks really. To me the most important thing with a steak is good crust development with a more gently cooked centre. The cook doesn't have to be completely even and at least for a home cook it's harder to get a good sear on a sous vide steak. I would use it for a particularly thick steak, but I would also recommend just doing a reverse sear in that case.

I use sous vide for tough cuts and poaching and stuff like that, or large roasts.

This is not your blog, newfriend :^)

>boiling meat
>boiling meat in plastic bag

kys

Induction cooking + sous vide = cheap/worry free

Water.
Nice and luke warm.

oh hey, look what finally came in the mail today

Sous Vide is the wet equivalent of reverse searing. You can get the exact effect without $300 of gear and the bacterial danger zone.

Get a wireless digital thermometer and you will be the best grillmaster in your group. Use these guidelines and replace pan searing with grill searing at 700 degrees. Put a small pat of butter on the top of your steak to initiate flames when you grill.

military.com/daily-news/2015/01/28/pentagon-tells-congress-to-stop-buying-equipment-it-doesnt-need.html

That would be all Brits. They refer to any cooking in liquid as boiling. Except for poaching. I'm not sure why that one made it for them. I caught my burgerckap self saying it a few weeks back after watching some bong cooking show and hated myself for it.

Jesus Christ, Let me paste the proper link. youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08

I heard an english say, "If it's not grey, stay away." Then he said "maths" and "aluminium" in the most syllables I'd ever heard in my life.

Sous vide is not...
I don't even know where to start.
A reverse sear, besides being the dumbest term in cooking since molecular gastronomy, simply means searing the majority of cooking has taken place. It is typically used with sous vide because if you sear before putting it in a bag and slow cooking it, it will lose most crust quality and well generally suck. The solution is to sear afterward. It isn't better for any reason besides that, and only in that sort of situation is it better.

The living fuck are you talking about, it's dry slow cooking, sous vide is encapsulated slow cooking. Have you even done either? This is why this board is useless for new cooks. You get idiots talking shit they have never done.

BTW read your shit, it makes no goddamn sense prima facie.

You don't sear before you put it in a bag, you cook the meat then sear it, then you sear it. It's like slow roasting a steak then you put the crust on it. EXACTLY like you do with sous vide.

Fucking know nothings.

You two better be trolls because that is not what that stupid term means.

you are wrong
do a google and see for yourself

b-but that's how people I can hang with talk. how am I supposed to explain to them that using that term to describe food is forbidden as deemed by a bunch of autists on a mongolian basket-weaving forum?

At least you fucking people realize why you get the worst advice on the internet. You're all poor shut ins that don't know any better and this is your last stop before you find a good way to kill yourself. When you have an altered brain you don't process things like normal people and you lash out like a drunk, a mental, or a fuck up.

What bags do you guys use to sous vide?

So how many times have you been proven wrong while insulting others, only to cause you to try insulting before any rational discussion begins?

I've cooked food in iteration, in the thousands. I absolutely know what I'm talking about. You just want to talk. I try to help people who don't know. By all means clarify your fucking mess. I can cook you a steak you would piss yourself over. I can make you a full bird turkey that you wouldn't understand how to describe. I know food.

lol

Do you want recipes, shithead?

Piri piri Chicken

2 tbsp McCormicks piri piri blend
3 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Herbes de Provence (thyme or Italian blend may work)
2 tbsp White wine vinegar
1 tsp Salt
4 Garlic Cloves minced/finely chopped

optional:

Liquid piri piri hot sauce to taste (approx. 2tsp)

mix well

Use Jacques Pepin recipe for application instructions and cooking.

You're kinda stupid, but at least you participate.

Jacques Pepin Roast Chicken
Sunday, September 27, 2015
1:18 PM
Ingredients:

• One 4-pound chicken
• 4 large garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 2 tablespoons dry white wine
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon Tabasco
• 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
• 1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 450°F. In the meantime, place the chicken on a cutting board breast-side down and, using kitchen shears, cut along either side of the backbone to remove it. Flip the chicken over and press gently but firmly onto the breastbone until the chicken flattens. Using a sharp knife, slash partway through both sides of the joint between the thigh and the leg. Do the same for the joint between the wing and breast.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk well to combine. In a large over-proof skillet, place the chicken skin-side down and pour half the sauce over it, rubbing it into the flesh. Turn the chicken over and pour the remaining sauce onto it.
Place the skillet over high heat for about 5 minutes, until the chicken begins to sizzle and brown. Transfer to the oven and roast for about 30 minutes until the skin is crackly and the chicken is cooked through. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before carving.

>tfw only make $250k/year and bought the cheapest sous vide device on ebay instead of the anova
fuck you

I bet you piss all over your steaks, thinking it is in line with your Nordic traditions.

you're some kind of trailer park garbage looking for vindication, aren't you? spend time looking at what you type. because you just sound like a dirt grovelling fuck up. please stop it and get some self respect. I'm not kidding.

When did this "'the protein' is a meme" meme originate
It's just a different usage of the word to refer quickly to a known and distinct category of foods rather than saying "the meat/poultry/fish etc."
Actually I don't even know why I'm trying to be rational Veeky Forums's autism will always win out

It's not autism, it's malignant depression. These people have nothing and they're lashing out in their disgrace. You have to get used to that on 'dead end' or 'suicide' boards.

>It's fun to do but a bit overrated.
>Very practical for professional kitchens though.

What did he mean by this?

It must be annoying always having to say you're serious. There's a reason no one takes you seriously.

I honestly don't give a waking shit if anyone listens. I try to help people. Fuck them if they don't listen. Do you care about worthless assholes that aren't in your family? Neither do I. If you're that stupid, enjoy your hard steak.Go watch peter gabriel like the boring piece of shit you are. ONCE IN A LIFETIME.

>Boiling a Steak in a marinade till cooked
that's called braising

Technically a poach as a braise requires a sear before submersion.

Its pretty good but if you wanted to put the sous vide to best use do a chicken breast.

Perfectly cooked through and maximum moistness. I like to throw a bit of garlic, thyme, rosemary and olive oil in the bag.

Professional kitchens deal with large amounts of food, high intensity work and short deadlines. Doing it in a private kitchen doesn't safe time or work unless huge dinner parties. see

You can only really do it in a professional kitchen for special functions.

Sous Vide takes like 2 hours to cook so its useless for regular service

Not necessarily so. I've worked in plenty of kitchens that use sous vide meat for service. Helps when you have set/tasting menus only+mostly reservation only so you know exactly what you need.

Also, if you portion carefully, you can sous vide food to the temp you want, and with a very hard pickup sear, you can have the inside just warmed through with a nice crust.

unless your dealing with a good bit of meat id say
no. Why go to the bother too when you can get a perfect cook of a pan.
Also a very easy thing to fuck up

Let your meat get to room temp or higher before cooking and you'll never get the problem in your pic

This is exactly why people in their 40s don't go out to eat. They can make better food for cheaper at home. There's no point paying for rushed garbage from a generic restaurant. That is why they're all dying.

Boil??? You want to cook at about 139 degrees F.

You don't let it get wet though right? Don't let it get wet.

Just get one of these and plug your crockpot into it.

amazon.com/Dorkfood-Sous-Vide-Temperature-Controller-DSV/dp/B0088OTON4

It's really great for fish.

Most kitchens do catering and/or buffets on top of normal service. Also, sous vide can be calculated into prep work. When you know you sell at least 70 plates of a dish in av evening, doing those sous vide during the day saves loads of work during busy hours. When you're all out you can just make the same dish the normal way. If you had worked in a professional kitchen you would know how valuable any timesaving practice is.

None of this thread makes sense without an answer to this question.
Pardon my English, I'm French.

>I'm a fat cunt who shits himself in Walmart

ALUMINIUM
not
ALUMINUM

I wish your shit overspill country had adopted a different language.

We discovered it.
We'll call it what we want.

Sous vide is fine but the one of the left was cooked by a retard and not a chef. Sous vide has its upside but a perfectly seared rare state tastes just as good.

Sous vide is REALLY good when youre making something like chicken filet rolls filled with a pate or something.

Untrue

fuck you're embarrassing, your claims and your credentials mean nothing here. Just offer advice - bullshit or not, and leave it at that. If some dickhead retard is dumb enough to be unable to tell the difference, then its just more laughs for everyone else.

I'm from the area. What the fuck is a "Pittsburgh steak?"