Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shias
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiites
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

*arabic/middle eastern
Actual "Islamic" food is pretty bland.

give an example. I eat at the Mosque once and a while and it's very nice

DELET THIS

I had shawarma for the first time recently. It was pretty good. Dates are wonderful. That's all I got.

my city has more shawarma shops per capita than necessary, almost 1 on every 2nd block downtown.

I like it, but what if I wanted literally anything else except halal food in the middle of the night? nope, only halal... okay.

EAT WITH HAND

Mashed goat cartilage. Actual authentic Islamic cuisine. Wasn't really the worst, but it had the worst texture ever. Most good kebab stuff is traditional Arabic food, not Islamic. Give credit where credit's due.

why are muslims taking credit?

Are you asking me :

A. Why are Muslims taking credit for what they didn't do?

Or

B. Why, do you think Muslims are taking credit?

bit of both, more A

Muslims often take credit for the hard work of their predecessors. Another example of this would be modern mathematics and algebra. Islam has done absolutely nothing to advance or improve algebra, yet because their ancestors discovered it, they claim it in the name of Islam. A lot of people also try and conflate Islam with Arabic culture and North-African/Middle-Eastern race.

>islamic anything
>its the "bomb"

kek

>we
i mean, you could also claim jews and christians did the same thing.
The whole multiculturalism thing in my city is Muslims=Kebabs+Chippies

I don't claim hamburgers as "Christian food". Kebab is just Arab food. It's got nothing to do with Islam.

well, christians were arabs, muslim is the latest hebrew religion in an arab country so the associating is there

Fuck you user, I'm starving and there's no good food in my house, I don't need to be craving shawarma right now

Epic food related post my friend

Here's something nice. Known as 'shakshuka' in Israel, I have no idea of the Arab/Middle Eastern name for it.

Arab food sucks minus Shawrama and hummus. Persian and central Asian food is where it's at.

Tabbouleh is cool

When I was in Israel, I had a chicken heart kebab with pita and chips. Was pretty tasty

top kek

>Fire up Old Smokey!

She's ready to go m80

IN ALL HONESTY HALAL FOOD IS GENERALLY QUITE DELICIOUS

The only difference between halal food and non-halal food is how someone kills a cow.

It's origin is north african, not arab

MY POINT STANDS REGARDLESS

>he still replies to the capslock faggot

>IMPLYING THERES ANY OTHER OPTION

Half Arab here. All Muslims need to be banned from the world for the good of humanity.

I likely detest when a culture or nation takes credit for things its predecessors came up with, but algebra is a legitimately Islamic creation. While based on concepts first detailed by the Babylonians, it wasn't codified until the 8th or 9th century by some Persian muslim or other. IIRC, it was being used in conjunction with the contemporary understanding of geometry and astronomy in order to calculate moon cycles for Islamic liturgical purposes.

Filthy Arab here. Christian, though, not Muzzie.
Shawarma is pan-Arabic, not Islamic. Just that Muzzies brought it to most other countries that are today familiar with it. Three notable exceptions to this, however, are Mexico, Brazil and Argentina, where Lebanese and Palestinian Christians (mostly Catholics, but a few Melkites) moved to and brought shawarma with them. In Mexico, Lebanese Christians began experimenting with using pork in making shawarma. Today, pork shawarma is called "tacos al pastor" by Mexicans, owing to the original use of lamb/mutton rather than pork ('pastor' means 'shepherd' in Spanish).

Hi. Just want to say you seem like an educated, nice person.

Bitch ass nerd

Since shwarma places arent exactly subsidized, there are about as many restaurants as are filling the demand.

Also whats bad about halal food? Its pretty much just pork replaced by mutton in my experience. I guess if you dont like cumin then thats tough luck, but who doesnt like cumin?

>pork

ACKSHUALLY

in Mexico they're called "al pastor" because the lebanese inmigrants were usually dedicated to sheepherding and they would use the kebab method to cook everything
that also explains why it is pork (which is not a halal meat) and why is it used in TACOS (calling them pork shawarmas just goes to show how fucking full of shit you are)

t. actual nerd

pork is several leagues ahead of mutton for both taste and texture
halal food a shit

>pork is several leagues ahead of mutton for both taste and texture
You have never eaten Mutton or Lamb.

I don't give two hoots about about any religious practices surrounding food stuffs, I will eat anything but your claims about Pork are just laughable.

mutton generallt tastes like wet dog to me

I like it in stews or gulash, or in dishes where it's taste is not so present, but the meat by itself is too much

>big_lebowski_just_my_opinion.jpg

I guess you are Eastern European?

I'm a Brit and we love Lamb (so do the Aussies and Kiwis) . . .Americans don't have much access to it and it's expensive but Eastern Euros do tend to dislike it for some strange reason.

I don't wanna be that guy, but I will, and say that north Africans emigrated to Lebanon, a middle eastern country. I guess Lebanese people aren't "arab," but they're close enough

I'm half Lebanese and I've always identified myself as being half Arab. My father is pretty olive skinned. If he's not Arab what would he be considered as? Phoenician? Levantine? There are many groups in Lebanon.

>mutton generallt tastes like wet dog to me
>I like it in stews

See I think you're just a bit fucked in the head.

Argie actually, and I just told you that the smell and taste of the meat just reminds me of a wet dog

I think it's likely because of the way we treat every piece of meat (i.e just throw it on the grill over burning coals)
to me, lamb it's not a really grill friendly meat
I've been to the UK and Australia and I've noticed that yes, you guys love it and it's not that bad.
actually I remember having a lamb BBQ in Australia that was absolutely delicious, but I noticed that it was a really young lamb.... it was tender and delicious, which is pretty different from the old as fuck huge beasts we use to obtain mutton here in Argentina
lamb is mostly raised in the patagonian regions, where it's cold as fuck and therefore the animals they raise are huge and full of fat

sad, really

I meant to say "can have it" instead of "like" I guess

I'm in the same boat, I'm half Lebanese and half white. My olive skinned dad considers himself middle eastern and Phoenician, not really Arab. They basically mean the same thing but there are actual differences. Lebanese people are technically semites, whereas others Arab countries aren't (besides Isreal obviously)

Yes young sheep (lamb) is the best, the older sheep (mutton) although full of flavour, more in fact, is quite a tough meat and best suited to stews.

I know in Patagonia there are large communities of Welsh people, they like Lamb too and yes you are right, Lamb is a fatty meat but you can get some good flavour from this.

If I were to be completely honest, a decent piece of Lamb is my favourite meat by far.

When will Russia and every other reasonable country unite and finally decide to nuke the Saudis? God I fucking hate Muslims.

Nah you probably eat dogs you marinate in the tub.

>tfw my dad goes back to Lebanon every year and I legitimately fear for his safety

They need to be bombed out of existence tbqh

Kabsa

>tfw Muslim
>tfw wanna try pork
I'm so close to getting out of my parents house (I'm a 22 year old NEET) and giving up this ideology. Gimme a good pork recipe.

Man, just have a good croque monsieur and some quiche lorraine with a bowl of French onion soup, you'll thank me later.

Thanks for the suggestion. Now I just need to get a job and move in with my brother who also gave up Islam. We keep it hidden from our parents but I can't keep doing this.

Just make a bacon sandwich.

Use British bacon (which is a back bacon cut) and cook it the same way you see in the 'Full English breakfast threads' (don't incinerate belly pork like the Americans do. - Next stop is pork chops with apple sauce.

blt, can't fuck it up unless you're this twat .

a blt sandwich cannot be made with American 'bacon flavoured burnt strips'

Proper bacon has a taste and it's not of burnt salt.

I'll be trying everything. My brother already cooks with pork but he lives on the other side of the US while I'm on the east coast. He says it's good stuff. I've seen one of his BLTS and it looked mouthwatering

Burritos are not Islamic food. They are south american.

I made some Islamic food for my friends the other day and they said it was the bomb.

Pork really is delicious. It's not the healthiest and definitely would not be my choice of meat but it really does taste good.

Made me chuckle lel

Oh, and before anyone asks why I'm giving up Islam, it has nothing to do with Trump (voted for him actually) but the insecure people that follow it. Those who say you can't criticize Islam or they'll radicalize, those who kill other Muslims over minor differences (Shias and shiites) and the general amount of intolerance my religion is towards others. Fuck off with your jizya tax. Sorry for the blog post but I've seen some leftists here who would project the reason I'm giving up Islam.

Be careful when leaving. One of my buddies came out as atheist to his Muslim parents when he was 17 and they kicked him out on the street.

Pork tenderloin is pretty nice, make a honey Dijon rub w a touch of maple syrup and then bread it n bake it.

Cool story bro.

I'm British and I have met a number of Muslims who have strayed from the faith, not because of fear (or Trump) but because in England, things are not quite so relevant in a secular society (and Britain is) as they would have been 'back home'.

Canucks make the best bacon. Maple smoked. Dried till crunchy. Not too greasy. Tastes like heaven.

Canadians use the same cut as the British when it comes to bacon.

Both bacons can come in different versions but the Brits don't burn them until they are crunchy?

How the bacon is cooked is entirely up to the cook. It doesn't matter if you're talking Brit, Canadian, American, watever....some people like their bacon barely cooked and floppy. Other people burn the piss out of it. It's entirely up to preference of the cook.

>How the bacon is cooked is entirely up to the cook
Not really.

Americans prefer their bacon (which is actually pork belly) cooked dry and crispy, whereas Brits cook back bacon (a different cut entirely) not as much.

Classic Canadian style bacon is usually maple wood smoked. Makes a big difference in the taste. Another similar Canadian pork classic would be the French Canadian's "oreilles de crisse" which is kinda like pork rinds.

You are missing the point, in order to exploit some traditional foible.
Do you not know the difference between Canadian bacon, British bacon and American bacon?

I was born in Essex and currently live in the US. I know people in both England and the US with widely different preferences. In my experience there is no way to generalize preferences in either country. There is no consistency in either country.

>>(which is actually pork belly)

Yes, American bacon (what we call "Streaky Bacon" in the UK) is made from the belly cut. But just like normal English bacon, it's cured. It's not the same thing as plain "pork belly". Take pork belly, cure it, an then you get what the Brits call "streaky bacon" or just plain "bacon" to the rest of the world.

Sold by Islamic people but actually invented by an Austrian

Different cuts, different ways of preparation etc? I've just explained one of the main things that makes Canadian bacon, Canadian bacon. What are you on about?

If you are who you say you are, then you will know that Americans like their 'streaky bacon' far more well done than we would in Britain.

To cook our bacon in the same manner would be a complete no-no .. ..you should know this, the odd personal preference aside.

I don't understand why you argue with me over this?

But that's wrong. Completely.
Lebanese people in Mexico have no strong ties to shepherding at all. For the first hundred years or so, Lebanese immigrants to the country were basically to Mexico what Mexicans are to the US: cheap labour. They moved to Mexico from Lebanon via France speaking no Spanish and having no financial connections there whatsoever, so how could they have been shepherds? How could they have purchased the land, never mind the sheep, to be shepherds? No.
After the period of low-rung labour, Lebanese immigrants began small businesses, generally working as peddlers or grocery retailers. From these humble beginnings, they went into slightly more skilled labour, such as tailoring and jewelry. Today, Lebanese are among the richest ethnicities in Mexico, with many working in medicine, law and finance, mirroring the Jews of Eastern Europe and their move to Britain and the US in the 1880s (starting as menial labour, becoming merchants, going into skilled labour and, finally, arriving in the upper echelons of working society).
So no: Lebs were not a significant population among the shepherds of Mexico.

>pork shawarma doesn't exist and you're dumb for saying they do!
Except they do. Guess what straight up shawarma is called in Mexico? Take a wild guess. Give up? Tacos Arabes. Literally "Arabic tacos." Al pastor are also called 'tacos Arabes' from time to time. This dates back to the late 1800s, when Lebs first began arriving in Mexico in large numbers.

I'm Leb myself and that's the first time I've ever heard this origin story.
Christian Lebs say that we're descended of Christ's first disciples. We can see this in the fact that St. Maron, the head honcho of Lebanese Christianity, was a Syriac and the Syriac/Assyrian language is the modern version of Aramaic, which was the language Jesus spoke and the language of all the original apostles. We consider ourselves direct descendants of these first Christians through St. Maron.

Not one of the guys you were replying to but, what kind of bread would be used for the tacos arabes? Traditional Arabic pita or another flatbread variation?

>I don't understand why you argue with me over this?

Because it's simply incorrect, that's why.

I currently live in the US and I do a lot of cooking for roomates, friends, and family. There is no single preferance for how people like their bacon. One guy likes it burned black. Another likes it almost raw. The rest have preferances all in the middle. There is no common trend--it simply doesn't exist. I actually find this to be a hassle because I'd rather cook all the bacon the same way and not have to adjust cooking times for each individual person I am cooking for.

As for the Brit preference, I have not been back home in many years but my family used to cook it fairly crispy. There were no charred bits but it was not limp. I have a British (well, technically Welsh) co-worker whom I often travel with. Every time we get breakfast on a business trip he has this little speech he gives to the waiter/waitress during which he explains that he wants them to literally *burn* his toast and bacon. If it's not BLACK when served then he sends it back. His habits have become a bit of a joke in our company. My uncle (British) wants his bacon nearly raw. His wife (my aunt, also British) likes hers very crispy, as does my grandfather.

So in my personal experience in both countries there is no consistency here.

Also, how many of you Leb and Leb-descended bros are actually doing Winter Lent right now? I'm only fasting every other day because I'm not religious and I like meat.

Canuck here. I'd say you're both kinda right. I've been down to Alabama quite few times and almost every corner diner I've been to there usually pan fries their bacon till really crisp. Personal preference plays a factor sometimes but usually only when the customer specifies.

I think you are just talking anecdotes here and you know it.

The overall mood in the states is to cook their bacon OTT and it's not the case in Britain . . .come on.

Really big flour tortillas, actually. They're softer than pita but thicker than burrito tortillas or lavash, kinda like a cross between the two.

You didn't know that Lebs are descendents of North Africans? The phonecians? Hannibal? I'm not religious so I don't buy into that "descendents of christ" thing but I've learned and read from many sources that that's basically the origin story of the Lebanese. My dad grew up there and went to school there and that's what he was taught too.

Are they kinda like the fluffy/airy Greek ones?

I've heard that as an explanation for Maltese people, but not for Lebanese. I was always told the Aramaic thing (for the Christians, anyway), which makes total sense, really. The area that is today Lebanon and Syria was once the Assyrian Empire, which was the first majority Christian nation on earth. Only makes sense that the Christians remaining in the area today would still keep remnants of that language in much the same way modern French keeps remnants of Gaulish. Remember that we're not, strictly speaking, Arabs. Like the North Africans, we are an Arabised people but not quite Arabs. True Arabs come from the deserts of Arabia, not the fertile crescent itself.
The difference between our two groups, though, is that North Africans are Arabised Punes/Phoenicians and Berbers while we're Arabised Assyrians and Caucasians (as in people from the Caucasus, not Europeans).

>Dates are wonderful

I would know, I've never been on one

>is on Veeky Forums

>Islamic Food Appreciation Thread
>not Arabic or even Middle Eastern
neck yourself mudslime

EXPLOSION OF FLAVOR

Arab is a weird word. People often apply it to everyone in the Middle East/use it to refer to people who speak Arab. Never made sense to me, you'd think it would only refer to the ethnic group from the Arabian gulf.

Shit, I meant speak Arabic.

Be careful user, muslims don't take kindly to those sane enough to leave their oppressive death cult of a religion.

Also, char siew pork is GOAT.
t. ex-muslim atheist

>he thinks shias and shiites are different things
You mean Sunnis and Shiites/Shias, my never-been-Muzzie friend.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shias
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiites

Many of the people in my area think India is part of the Middle East. Ignorance is ignorance.

When you get down to it, though, despite not being an ethnic Arab, my background has been Arabised and we speak Arabic so to most people, both within the Arab world and outside of it, we would be considered Arabs. If you called my grandmother an Arab, though, there's a good likelihood that she'd track you down and beat you with her cane. She hates Arabs and other Arabised people (even other Christian Arabs).

Among Syriacs, Iraqis and /especially/ North Africans, labeling yourself as Arab or non-Arab can be a huge political stance and can directly shape your social landscape of friends and enemies. For most other Arabic-speaking people, it's not a big deal.

If you know any North Africans, try to ask them if they consider themselves Arabs or Amazighen then ask how they feel about people of the opposite position. Though most North Africans are Arabised Berbers/Amazighen ('Berber' is considered an insensitive term by some of them), the majority of them will fall on one side of the fence or the other. And if they say they don't have particularly strong feelings (many tend to be unaware of just how deep-seated their prejudice of the opposite group really is), try to get into a conversation about it and you'll quickly see how bad of a political divide it really is.

It's by no coincidence that not a single Muslim majority area in the world has seen peace since Islam was introduced there. Not. A. One. It is, by its very nature, a destructive force. Even its name, Islam, has strongly negative connotations. It is related to the concepts of submission and subjugation. It is a truly despicable ideology.