Brew thread?

Brew thread!

Whatcha brewin' Veeky Forums?
Not brewing anything? Whatcha drinkin' Veeky Forums?

I need details! A vast majority of great beers around the world aren't available anywhere near me. Is it nicely rounded? Acerbic and piney? Does it pair well with dinner?

I just popped the top off of a spiced, red Christmas Saison - very close in colour to pic related.

The orange peel plays nicely with the little bit of Galaxy happening. The cinnamon and crystal malt blend incredibly with the peppery clove of the saison malt.

The only problem is that it's still a bit young - to be expected from this particular strain of Saison apparently. The worst part - the apply edge is actually quite refreshing, probably taking quite a bit off of the alcoholic edge of this carmine yuletide diesel fuel.

drinking some troegs mad elf and listening to tom waits. life is solid

How is it?

It doesn't exist in my backwater bog.

it's really fucking good, man. This year's is particularly strong, 11%

You're going to make me look it up, aren't you?

yeah man, check it out

Looks amazing!

I was going to go for something in that ballpark with this Saison nonsense - decided to forego the chocolate malt and drop it down to 8.5-9%

i feel that. This shit is pretty crazy though because i tend to have a pretty good tolerance but holy shit two of these and i actually have a buzz

Hey! I was just wondering if anyone has that infographic on how to brew hard apple cider?

You all have to go back, immediately

There's far too much autism in this thread

An American style lager with mosaic hops

Just bottled a German Alt. Going to be starting up a Californian Steam beer using my homegrown Cascade hops this weekend. Sipping on an Irish dry stout I made a couple months ago.

Because people are sharing recipes, the hows and the whys behind today's libations? It's inebriation, not autism. Back to >>/b/ lack genitals

Unfortunately no, but I'll check out an actual recipe for you, instead of the allspiced swill I make in October. (literally apples from my backyard, mashed, boiled, whatever yeast I happen to have a culture of from the last batch of beer, allspice instead of hops... otherwise just like non-recipe beer - toss it in and hope for the best)

I still have to make my own with just mosaic to get a complete handle on it, but I really enjoy what I've purchased.

I... may have just came. I'm not even that big on steam beer. Mostly I'm just sad that I couldn't bring my hop vines with me to the new place.

Is anyone else rocking Hacker-Pschorr bottles? They're like the brewery that keeps on giving.

Nope but here's my recipe.
>5 gal ( most homebrew recipe are based on 5 gal) raw, unprocessed apple cider. Finding this at a reasonable price is the hardest part
>one packet of home brewing ale yeast. I like the dry kind I find it to be nearly fool proof
>hand full of cinnamon sticks, handful of whole cloves and whole allspice
>1lb pure raw honey
Bring cider and spices up to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Pour in 5 gallon food grade plastic bucket that was sanitized immediately prior to the pour. Pop on a lid with a hole for a water lock. Set aside somewhere that is over 53 degrees but under 70 degrees for one week. To make fizzy after the one week warm up your honey til runny microwaving works fine just be careful not to overheat. Add the honey to the mixture and bottle your cider in your preferred size bottles. Cap with metal caps. No wine bottles. The residual yeasts will eat all the sugar in the honey you just added and fart out co2. The filled bottles leave no room for the glasses to escape and thus it is forced into the liquid. Bottles should be filled a quarter inch to the top. Put in your fridge for another week or two and enjoy. Sry if it's a bit too much explaining but it was originally for an user who never home brewed

My first attempt with just mosaic lager was a bit of a fail. This is my 2nd should be much better. I full boiled only a quarter of an Oz cuz my body is so light and the 11% alpha should be plenty bitter. I added the the rest at two different stages with one add getting virtually zero boil time.

Oh yeah all grain 75% 2 row barley 25% rolled corn cuz fuck da haters, hipsters, and snobs.

I'm excited to hear how it turns out. You know, aside from "Mosaic-y"

How is all-grain anti-hipster?

>couldn't bring hop vines to the new place

I'm crying for you there. They get to be like your babies. You know their strength after using them in a few beers eventhough you have no way to determine the specific AAU. It becomes a pretty special thing, really.

Holstein Festbock, I also like their Malbeck. Both are 7% and cheap. They do the trick nicely without much headache or shits that other cheap beers give

A lot of beer purists reject corn.

Belgian Tripel, with an additional hop
Breddy Gud

but it's impossible to get an "American" flavour without it... it's just lager otherwise.

You're preaching to the choir my man.

I'm sucking back one of those "Historic Ales of Scotland" packs before my roomies get home and pilfer them.

Scotch pine... amaaaaaazing flavour in beer.

God bless the Reinheitsgebot

God bless Bock in general.

Wut?

It's the only way to get an american mass produced flavor in a lighter style pilsner, but it really has nothing to do with "american" beer since the '80's.

It's one thing you Europeans should really give us credit for. We had tiresomely bland beers since Prohibition, but we've had a renaissance beginning in the late '70's. Regionally, there's an enormous variety. And no, it's not all IPA, although overhopping has been an unpleasant creeping into other beer styles.

No but we developed it hence "American"

There are American IPA's, American Bocks, American Stouts, so on, so forth, ad nauseum.

The only other truly American style, aside from corn adjunct lager is California Steam Beer, which has probably been done inadvertently since yeast started getting used to cold storage time.

I love anchor steam. Just sayin.

I'm curious, what do you mean by "it?"

Lagers using corn as an adjunct

It is a style that makes sense in warm climates - take a cold-hardy yeast and give it a warmer climate to throw whatever esters and phenols it wants to. Tweak accordingly.

I'm glad it exists, but what I'm saying is that it has probably been done accidentally since the advent of lager yeast - just made popular in California, probably through necessity during a time like the gold rush when the beer had to happen, come hell or just hellish temperatures.

Oh that's def what happened just read an anchor steam label. I think it's neat as fuck. I'd brew one but I'm busy with other projects at the moment and I want to make a unique product so I can maybe get microbrewey status.

Anchor is definitely "tweaked" - the yeast has be re-acclimatized to warmer fermentations.

If you use a yeast more adept at, say, Czech Pilsners, especially without a warmup. you're likely to get some chaotic results - most of which are quite fruity, but I've gotten some really really harsh clove phenols before, to the point where I'm sure I'm pulling vanilloids out... maybe even as heavy as capsaicin.

I don't think anyone really knows how California lager yeast developed. It's an interesting, if unanswerable question, since the only Steam beer extant is Anchor.

What most people forget is there was a robust brewing culture, where almost every saloon brewed their own beer, before prohibition. There were a number of unique american beers that were lost to history due to that misguided restriction.

Fortunately, there has been a great revival. As I said, we could lose the overhopping craziness, but that too, shall pass.

Hmm I wonder how fast the fermentation accelerated and if you could just ferment for 4 days instead of a week and what affect all that would have instead of making a drastic altering of the strain.

What do you mean by "tweaked?" It's certainly not gmo. It may have been cultured ala Mengel, but tweaked is not a very good description.

The how of its pedigree is stamped all over its flavour profile - it's even more evident if you brew with it - it's got that sulfurous lager nose to it when it's still green.

The why of it all - agreed, it's pure speculation.

You take cultures from the strains that are doing what you want them to - playing god with a mass-scale, fast forward piece of darwinism.

GMO in the "spliced in a lab" sense? No. Ultimately modified at a genetic level through careful training and selection.

I haven't brewed for over 2 years but I'm just about to brew a batch tomorrow.

Nice simple IPA, Cascade and Columbus, a bit of Munich and Crystal 60. Not gonna dry hop since I don't have flowers on hand and I'm not using anything fancy anyway.

Last thing I brewed was a 10% imperial stout, where I only used toasted/roasted grains for color rather than any crystal (it was some contrived idea to make a "historic" version like from before crystal malt was a thing). Probably the best beer I ever made. Gonna open a bottle tomorrow after I finish brewing probably.

my mate is brewing some hooch in prison. squeezed a few oranges into a bottle, popped a bit of marmite in it and closed it up to brew away for a bit.

Anyone in the NC/SC state area know where to find some good Unfiltered wheat beers?

You managed to keep some around for two years? You're stronger of will than I could ever hope to be.

That's not hooch, that's pruno.

Just had 3 sierra nevada celebration ipas and a green man porter, all were delicious, plus I found a local bar that didn't card me.

Just brewed my ESB today. The first time I brewed it I loved it! Some Maris Otter and british crystal malt with some flaked barley thrown in. Kent Goldings and Willamette hops. Nottingham dry yeast. Good stuff. Drinking a Cigar City Invasion Pale Ale.

I like stouts.

I might have to steal this. I hope you don't mind.

go for it.

Tonight I'm going to drink Tongerlo blonde, a Belgian ale, and later a bunch of cheaper shit to get drunk enough. I've got another fancy beer but I think I'll save it for next week. I won't start homebrewing until my teetotaler parents are dead, but after that I'm going to.

>won't start homebrewing until my teetotaler parents are dead

Good god, how old are you anyway? 16? If you're 18, tell them to stick their teetotaling up their ass.