Bread Thread: Brioche Edition

So just finished baking this brioche. Made it with a 2-year old starter and a hybrid recipe from tartine and some recipe I found on TheFreshLoaf.

I'll dump crumbshots later once its cooled

Looks good, post dem crumbs

30 more minutes senpai a lam

LOOKS NICE N TOASTY

Crumb came out tighter than expected.

Any tips?

LOOKS PRETTY DENSE

I haven't made brioche yet, but the ones I've had and seen have a fairly tight crumb, but they're a lot more yellow than yours. I wonder why. Did they use more egg?

Possibly more eggs with an extra yolk or two.

Its definitely super dense bro. It looks like you used a loaf pan? Just freeform it next time. The bread needs room to grow.

Ah ok! I was trying to make the loaf style of brioche for like french toast and stuff.

How would I go about that free form wise?

Did you test the starter? Looks like it makes a pretty good cake though - could make a lemon drizzle out of it.

In that case probably the best would be to get a pullman pan. They're generally a lot longer and are what people make sandwich bread in, like the loaves you can get from the store.

Afaik you can't really freeform a good squarey loaf without some kind of pan. Also the other anons are onto something. Usually a brioche has a crapton of butter and eggs+egg yolks in it. You have a good crust, but your crumb looks dry and not all that enriched. Care to share your recipe?

200g AP
200g BF
80g sugar
200g of a Rye/White sourdough starter (ripe)
100g milk
10g sea salt
3 large eggs + 1 yolk
150g butter

I basically mixed half the flour mix with the eggs and salt and made it into a paste in the mixer. Then tossed in the milk, starter, and leftover flour. As its kneading i gradually add the butter. I knead again for around 10 minutes, till the dough is smooth, a bit sticky/slack. Then I proof for around 4 hours at room temp (house runs a bit warm), then shape into loaf tin and put into fridge overnight. Next day, I preheat oven to 420F, and take loaf out of fridge and bench rest it for another 1:30. I theb bake it in the oven for 30-40 minutes.

>I was thinking of removing the milk and just adding more butter next time.

Yeah I'd cut the milk and double the eggs and butter.

From what I know, the standard procedure for brioche is
>Mix dry, without salt
>add eggs+liquid/starter slowly to incorporate
>mix til ball forms
>add butter and salt
>Mix til it comes away from the sides

Something like that. Also, no yeast at all in the recipe, just a straight sourdough? That's a little risky. How does it taste, by the way? All I can say that it looks like it needs to be richer and have more room to expand. I mean, hell, even a large boule could be french toast as long as your folks aren't picky on size.

anyone in this thread have experiance with ciabatta? I am chasing after this perfect airy mini load for sandwiches I saw and ate at the alemeda ca market bakery.

The recipe I have for ciabatta takes about 4 hours or so, 3 turns of folding so it's kinda annoying. But it's really tasty with some fresh herbs and the like. Not too sure if I'd call it a sandwich size though. It only rises about an inch over a sheetpan.

Tasted just fine. The starter I've had has a more mild flavor, but adds a nice tang which I think complements the sugar and butter in the brioche.

In a more traditional sense, that's what the french used way back when. Just make sure the starter is well fed and its good to go.

All in all really tasty, just the texture being a bit cakier. I'll tweak eggs and butter and remove flour

*remove milk. Whoops brainfart

yeah, thats not what I'm looking for, this was more like 3-5 inches.

its probably this shit in the very left of the right bottom cabinet. Very puffy stuff.

Can anyone recommend a good starting bread recipe I really want to get into baking my own bread but there are so many different opinions on basic recipes.

Pizza dough is pretty simple. Here's mine.
16oz all purpose flour
1/2oz instant yeast
1/2oz salt
2oz oil of any kind
12oz water, preferably a little warm or room temp

Throw it in a mixer and knead it on low/med til it comes together and pulls from the sides. Then work it in your hands for a little bit to make it into a ball. Grease the bowl, slap in the dough, cover with a thin towel, and let it rise somewhere warm 45 minutes or so. After this, punch it, and it's ready to roll out.

That's fair then. It's warm here so my sourdoughs usually fart away quickly. Please let us know how it turns out.

Yessir. Been having so much fun with our hybrid wood fired oven. We can either heat it up with wood, or just use a built in burner to heat it up. Or use both.

It's perfect for temp control so i can keep an oven at 450-550 without fear of burning my breads. Plus it doesn't take all day to baby a fire

Bamp

Isn't all American bread brioche?
It's sweet like it

It's probably loosely based on sweetened sandwich bread, yeah. Since that was the most popular style of bread back then. As far as I know, brioche just describes a mildly sweetened enriched loaf with lots of egg, yolks, and butter in the dough. It's usually always a pale yellow color.

I would french toast the shit out that bread, OP.

New to baking, want to get into bread. All week I've been making pizza dough and i think i have that down. Any recommendations for babbies first bread?

Chef johns hamburger bun recipe is solid and easy. If you don't need burger buns, it's just an enriched white bread recipe. So it also makes good soft rolls or a sandwich loaf. It was the first yeast bread I taught my mom to make and she was surprised by how easy it was.