Taipei

Beijing

Shanghai

Ho Chi Minh

Jakarta

Seoul

freshen ya drink guvna?

Just about every non-flyover city?

Locals favorite delecacies are boiled hot dogs, shitty pizza, and sandnigger halaal food from a roach coach

Detroit has better food than New York City, the flyover meme is just that, a meme. Most of New York, like everywhere else in the world, is redneck and white trash as shit, with only it's major city having unique food.....this applies to pretty much the entire country

every halfway major Northern/Western American city has great and diverse food readily available
You are gonna pay way more for it though in places like NY

New Orleans, Houston.

>no one has said Paris

Tokyo blows NYC away, but no other American city can.

>the flyover meme is just that, a meme
How do you mean?

Singapore
Tokyo
Paris
Melbourne

>implying that Paris McDonald is better then other McDonalds

It's a meme that is part of the larger more general narrative that urban > rural, always...which of course is not accurate.

Sorry, but sometimes urban areas can suck balls and rural areas can be far superior in many cases.

the funniest part of the meme is that its all about rural stereotypes even though the midwest isn't even rural. It more makes sense for the great plains/mountains and much of the south, but the large majority of midwesterners do not live in rural areas

I like Knoxville, Tennessee, because it's the only city where you can find a Sonny's BBQ restaurant AND a Famous Dave's BBQ restaurant in the same spot (they are off of the same interstate exit, in fact). These are basically the two largest BBQ-centric chains in the US, FYI.

I've worked a lot in Detroit and live in NYC, you're an absolute retard if you think the food in Detroit is better. They do have some great local specialties and have a generally underrated food scene, but get real, son.

In new york you are gonna pay 50% more for the exact same shit

>meme means a falsehood

Is arguing about the meaning of 'meme' a meme?

Like what? Yeah NYC can be expensive, but it can also be dirt cheap if you avoid a lot of expensive neighborhoods. Also, I recall talking about the quality and diversity of food, not just the price. If you're just going to argue about how expensive things are, I can name a fuckton of cities in the lakes area with cheaper food than fucking Detroit, especially with their budding hipster foodie scene that's buying up a lot of cheap real-estate in both the burbs and near the lake.

>Also, I recall talking about the quality and diversity of food, not just the price.
New York has the exact same fucking food for more money, you can easily find great and diverse food in any northern or west coast city
New York's food certainly is good, ts just that pretty much everyone else has just as good food too

I think the selection and quality is on a different level, and I've traveled to a shit ton of cities, and lived in some of them. I'm not even from NYC, but when I moved here I knew that it had more to offer than anywhere else in North America. There is still a huge amount of expensive and disappointing food here, but the sheer number of options available make me not really hung up about it. Agree to disagree, then.

>Houston
THIS

This is kinda true, but you have to take scope into account. On the high end NYC has the most Michelin stars of any city in the country. Most major cities have immigrant cuisines represented, but in NYC you have entire immigrant neighborhoods. You want some regional Chinese cooking, as opposed to take out style? NYC Has three fucking Chinatowns. The whole world comes here, so you can find some foods that would be pretty rare in less cosmopolitan places. You can have Dominican one night, Georgian the next, Scandinavian the next, then Austrian, Texas BBQ, Peruvian, soul food and Pastrami at Katz's. And awesome $5 curry and rice from a Sikh cabbie stand.

Other cities may have food just as good as the food in NYC, but few have a similar range of foods available.

San Francisco
Philly
Houston

>On the high end NYC has the most Michelin stars of any city in the country
Honest question here, is going to any of those really in the means of anyone here?

NY has a lot of great restaurant, but the other 99% of the restaurants are pure ass. Going by the average it's probablt one of the worst food cities I've ever been to, as the food culture mostly is crap. Going by the best places, it's not the best, but probably a top 10 city.

I'd go with Berlin to be honest. Fucking insane variety in food, and it feels like even the bad restaurants are pretty good in comparison to many other cities. Has some of my favorite places in the world too.

Chicago, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle, basically anywhere that isn't LA or NY

No, and I'd argue that inaccessibility is an inherent limiting factor in how highly food should be rated.

Obviously the debate about haute cuisine is both endless and exhausted, but I really am of the opinion that anything you're doing to a meal to make it cost more than let's say $150 per person is probably snobby performative elitist bullshit and not actually contributing to the quality of the meal. Maybe to the experience, if you're swayed by such things, but not to the food. Notable exceptions are things like premium sushi and meats but even in those cases, most of the time the appeal is the VIP factor, not the flavor.

No contest.

>taipei
maybe for chinese/taiwanese food but not world cuisine. haven't been to the rest of those cities but I'm sure this also applies to some of them.

Grand Rapids > Detroit

anywhere in the south has better bbq and mexican than nyc.

I don't have Per Se kind of money, but unlike most New Yorkers I cook at home most nights, and hit delicious cheap immigrant places the rest of the time. I don't buy convenience/fast food ever, and as a result I my food budget is really low. I don't think I spend more than $50 to feed two people on an average week. Most people I know spend more than that on a week's worth of lunches, so by comparison I'm saving a fuckton of money. Which means a couple times a year I can casually drop a few hundred dollars on a meal out. I eat at one Michelin star places every other year, but most of the places I go to drop serious dough do not have stars, they just have spectacular food.

>Tokyo
>Not Osaka
weeb that's only been to Tokyo detected

I don't just mean moneywise, I mean like in a city of 20 million people is it a complete fucking hassle to even go to one? I assume you can't just walk in and hope to get a table

Youre really annoying dude

>mexican food
>the south
The southwest=//=the south

Been to Tokyo several times, but have also seen Kyoto, Osaka, Nagano and Nagoya. Best sushi of my life was in Osaka.
Depends on how hot the place is. Mission Chinese has no stars (and probably never will, though the food is amazing), and you can't eat there without a reservation. But you could just go to the Spotted Pig (which just lost its star) on the early (or late) side and just walk in. On a weeknight I'm sure you could just walk in to Wallse and get a table. But usually when you're planning to go out to a special place you make a reservation in advance. And in the case of very small, very famous places like Momofuku Ko (12 seats) it might take you a year of trying on their website before you luck into a reservation. (Even Chang's parents had to do this because he has a no exceptions policy).

But at the end of the day if you want to just walk into a place without a reservation and great a great meal there are thousands of places in NYC where you can do so. And this can be done pretty easily for under $10 or well over $100, depending on your choices.

How does Sonny's compare? I live no where close to that zone, but I work at a Famous Daves.

The problem with NYC is that the food is really great but you need to be willing to spend 15-25$ at a sit down restaurant to get it. Portland and Austin have good cheap food right out of a food trailer for little tip. (although I was in Manhattan so I could be wrong)

One of my favorite restaurants in Manhattan is a Sikh cabbie stand that will sell you two vegetarian curries over rice in a bowl for $4. There are plenty of Dominican places in Manhattan where you can get a large and delicious meal for $10.

Cheap eats here are amazing here. But Manhattan rents makes them a little hard to find there. Much easier to find great food for cheap if you go to Brooklyn or Queens. But there's still plenty of it in Manhattan. Check out this list:
ny.eater.com/maps/cheap-eats-nyc-mapped