Al/ck/y thread: Struggling to continue Quitting edition

One day sober and already thinking I'm wasting my time.

My life is shit, might as well be drunk for it.

Stop and think about why your life is shit. No excuses, think about why you aren't where you want to be in life.

You have a problem with dependency and impulse control. Once you kick the habit of going for a drink everytime you're bored, that habit will break for other unhealthy sources of escapism you probably have in your life.

Start working out. 3 hours of exercise a week, even if it's just walking, will give you something to do to keep your mind off drinking, also it is medically proven to change your brain and make you a happier person.

Don't give up, you're still at the hardest part.
You can still turn things around, you're probably young. If you quit now things will only get worse. But take it one step at a time mayne and you'll feel great about yourself in a matter of days and not want to go back to it.

think of the money you'll save...
once you kick the shakes and your brain chemistry gets back to normal you'll be able to appreciate it
sobriety seems like a boring hellish grind, and it is, but it's tolerable one day at a time my man

well. then kill yourself. it gets worse. Make sure you use a high caliber sos you dont miss.

drinking a Wee Heavy by persephone brewing company
its super fucking sweet, after a few months of mostly IPA i'm not sure how i feel about that

heh, yeah, i already know.

>Stop and think about why your life is shit. No excuses, think about why you aren't where you want to be in life.
Procrastination, fear of failure and simply not taking action, alcohol does contribute to al these to different extents. However, I'm not sure I have it in me to arrest and reverse these habits completely. I'm so far from where I want to be, (another part of why I drink) and I simply don't see any realistic pathway to a life I'll be satisfied or content with, it feels better to simply hide from my problems via an alcohol induced stupor
>You have a problem with dependency and impulse control. Once you kick the habit of going for a drink every time you're bored, that habit will break for other unhealthy sources of escapism you probably have in your life.
I don't really have any. As sad as it is my life consists of work, getting drunk, shitposting and watch sitcom re-runs; not sure how much more I could do the other two as they already take up virtually all of my time, only difference I guess is I'd be doing them sober which I guess might not keep my attention if I'm not drunk
>Start working out. 3 hours of exercise a week, even if it's just walking, will give you something to do to keep your mind off drinking, also it is medically proven to change your brain and make you a happier person.
Yeah, I undoubtedly need to start exercising again
>Don't give up, you're still at the hardest part.
I guess, and it's probably the dependency talking but I just see no short term benefits and no long term success from quitting
>You can still turn things around, you're probably young. If you quit now things will only get worse. But take it one step at a time mayne and you'll feel great about yourself in a matter of days and not want to go back to it.
I'm not exactly young. 31, unqualified, stuck in a dead end job which will be gone in a year or so and no idea what I want to do with my future, or how I will find an existence with which I'm content.

bumping because during last raid the al/ck/ thread was slid

>Yeah, I undoubtedly need to start exercising again

That honestly helps a lot, people say it all the time, but its true it really helps clear your mind and actually gives you more energy

Yeah, no doubt. Every time I've had my life under control or been content I've been exercising regularly and eating a balanced diet. It's not just coincidence.

Oh lord you sound a lot like me (I haven't posted in this thread yet), all I can tell you is try to keep it up, bro. I'm stuck in the al/ck/ cycle yet again. I haven't lost hope or anything; just kind of annoyed that I fell back into it because my job allows me to drink all fucking day if I want and I fell back into the habit.

I really need to quit, though. The shakes are very detrimental to my work and if I want to get really serious I'm not gonna have much of a choice in the near future. By next year I'll pretty much have to be totally sober and that's a crazy thought to me, but I've done more difficult things than quitting drinking so I don't feel like it's beyond me by any means.

How much do you need to be drinking when the shakes become really pronounced?

Made it to two days.

I don't get shakes or anything when I quit but I have horrible nightmares and can't sleep more than 4 hours a night. Anyone else get that?

I have awful sleep the first few nights I quit and wake up constantly throughout the night.

I don't really have nightmares but I do have more vivid dreams and I tend to remember them more whereas usually I don't remember anything about my dreams, if I'm even having them.

at this point I'm just drinking to make the nightmares stop. Car crash dreams, dreams where my family mock me and tell me I'm a piece of shit, dreams where I'm being tortured or being murdered by my father. It really eats away at your sanity desu senpai

Yeah I get that too. I find it really hard to get to sleep as well, I just lie there for what seems like ages and ages despite being tired. Then I find myself waking up in the small hours with a cold sweat which isn't much fun.

The hardest part for me is that drinking is enjoyable, so I don't have any incentive to stop despite knowing what it might do to me down the line. Listening to all sorts of music drunk is great fun once I am too drunk to play video games.

>Listening to all sorts of music drunk is great fun once I am too drunk to play video games

Same shit for me but the next 2-3 days while I'm experiencing what could be defined as minor withdrawal symptoms, I can't stand listening to music at all and it makes me even more depressed and irritated.

Honestly I don't drink huge amounts like some in these threads; I just drink very consistently, and the shakes only get worse over time, even if you quit for a while. I managed to quit for 2 months a few years back. The longest I've gone without alcohol in the last 10 years other than that has been 3 days.

is this the main alc thread now?

It has been since the last one got slid by the guy spamming pizza threads.