How are you making gravy this thanksgiving? Packetfags need not apply

How are you making gravy this thanksgiving? Packetfags need not apply

Chicken fat from roasting pan. my gf and her family hate turkey. Finely diced garlic shallots saute until translucent. Add in a mix of chicken stock and water. Cook down add in cornstarch and cook until desired consistency scrape up all that fond.

I'm pooring it out of a jar from the grocery shelf. Tastes fine, takes less time.

I actually made some stock for that very purpose yesterday. I bought a bunch of duck wings & turkey necks. Roasted 'em in the oven and made the stock in a pressure cooker.

When the turkey is done roasting on Thanksgiving I'm going to set it aside to rest while I make the gravy using the pan drippings from the roasted bird, a whole bottle of white wine, and the stock I made over the weekend.

"Fine" is not good enough. The gravy should be a mouthgasm with every bite.

You are explicitly NOT welcome in this thread.

Chicken fat along with the celery, garlic, and onions that were roasted with the chicken. Add a bit of flour to the fat and let it brown, then add the vegetables and purée it all with my immersion blender. Not traditional but damn delicious.

>You are explicitly NOT welcome in this thread.
A jar is not a packet. I'm staying.

While one might suck more than the other they both still suck.

Only if you're a metrosexual.

Or if you care about flavor.

As I said, a metrosexual.

I make a stock with the turkey neck, giblets, and mirepoix the day before thanksgiving, then I add the juices from the turkey roasting pan and thicken with a roux to finish the gravy immediately before serving dinner.

Simple veloute. Made my turkey neck stock last night. I don't think I'll add giblets this year.

I'm parting out the thighs and breasts so I'll have the rest of the carcass to boil down and make into a stock, then I'll just add a butter/flour roux to it and continue simmering out moisture till it's thick enough

I prep for the gravy by buying some turkey wings and necks, roasting them and using them to make a rich stock before hand and use that to make the gravy along with whatever drippings I can collect. I rotisserie my turkey, so even though I have a drip pan underneath it, the amount of drippings can vary quite a bit. I deglaze the drip pan with some hard cider, and use all that, plus the rich stock, and shallots sauteed in turkey fat. At then end, I add just a splash of heavy cream to amp it up. Cider and cream turkey gravy is best gravy. And don't forget plenty of freshly cracked pepper!

I'm boiling the turkey necks and some of the giblets while the turkeys cook, mix it half and half with chicken stock to make about 12cups of gravy for the taters

It's gonna be good

jarred gravy, no pig disgusting packets!!~!!!!!

>jarred

Only slightly less disgusting than packet.

slighly less is still better than those gross packets! wooooooo thankgiving!

Buying from KFC

I like your style and the cut of your giblets.

Make sure that shit isn't cut with boston chicken gravy.

My mom is a packetfag. Actually, she's a "Campbell's cream of chicken soup" fag.

Is it possible to make gravy without the drippings? I'm planning on deep frying mine.

You should roast a turkey neck in chicken stock w some herbs and use the drippings from that.

>be britbong
>always make my own gravy cos family just uses store bought ones
>they dont even make it properly, its like water
>so many ruined roast dinners cos of water-like gravy that tastes like burnt shit

I'm having turkey soup today and using the leftover liquid for the gravy.

Roast turkey
Drain fat, leave brown bits
Cook fat 1:1 by weight w flour in pan
Deglaze pan
use liquid once roux is ready

God damn I want a spoonful of that.

roux, finely (I MEAN FINELY) chopped onion, home-made unsalted chicken stock, salt and pepper.

>Leave the drippings in the pan when the bird is removed.
>Set it on the stove top and turn the burners on.
>Get a glass of water, put some flour in and blend.
>Check taste of the baste before I do anything with the water mix I made, add it in and whisk.
>Add pepper or other spices as I see fit.
>Whisk he fuck out of it again.
>Punch the fucker who wants the gizzards and shit in it.
>Do this while whisking, this fucker isn't going to clump.
>Watch football.
>Whisk, panic a little because I don't think there was enough flo- oh shit, it's done.
>Gravy boat.
>Gravy.

Cook some homemade chicken stock with turkey neck and back (I spatchcock) for a few hours.
Make a roux with pan drippings.
Add the stock to the roux.
Season with salt and white pepper

I already made my thanksgiving gravy last month (Canadafag).
I deboned, stuffed, and tied the turkey the night before and made a stock that night (skeleton, neck/wings, garlic, parsley stems, peppercorns, carrot/onion/celery, and apples). Then I used the drippings from the turkey, apples/onions/ garlic cloves and giblets, and deglazed the roasting pan. Then I just made a cornstarch gravy because I prefer the texture and appearance over a flour roux gravy.

I put apples in the stock and roasting pan because I made an apple stuffing and wanted to tie the flavours together in the gravy.

you are a beautiful person

Props to you man, that's awesome.

Had a turkey last month and froze the stock made from the carcass. Going to enrich the stock with the backbone and neck+giblets, and some aromatics, and just mix into a roux.h

In my experience you don't absolutely need the drippings as long as you have a good homemade stock. I butterfly my turkey and cook it on top of a tray of stuffing so I don't get any drippings and my gravy always comes out fine

>Brine bird in solution of salt, other tasty shit and some crystallized ginger. (And no, not my meth addict uncle.)
>Use an air fryer to cook the bird, careful to line the grease tray with foil.
>Collect the drippings when the bird is finally done, place the contents in a pan.
>Add broth as needed, flour too.
>Whisk with a bundle of rosemary.
>Family might think I am a bit of a faggot, but they know I can make some gravy.

Am I the only one that likes to make gravy with just drippings, stock, herbs, butter, and no thickener? I tried it last year and ended up enjoying it much more than my previous gravies which I added a roux or something to.

No, you're not the only one. If you have good stock and you cook it down long enough then you don't need a thickener at all; the gelatin from the stock & drippings will do that for you.

Not this guy but I made a gravy boat for the occasion fired it myself and it became a ritual to serve gravy out of it.

I've noticed reduced sauces are sticky on the palette rather than velvety, which is what you get with a proper roux thickened sauce.

>IE: flour or gtfo.

I've had the opposite experience.

That's not to say that all roux-based sauces are "sticky", but I have had many that had a pasty sort of texture. I think that's caused by using too much roux.

I'm making pants gravy

>Air fryer.
What?

Marketing name for a convection oven. They're sold on infomercials and all sorts of things. Google it if your ignorant.

>How are you making gravy this thanksgiving?
I use a covered roaster, which browns my roasts and keeps them moiste. Since it preserves liquid my drippings don't burn, and any juices and grease that splatters to the sides browns nicely in the pan to be deglazed by me.
I deglaze with coffee, sometimes a splash of wine, sometimes water, sometimes I'll open up some chicken stock if it looks very skimpy rendered juices.

This thanksgiving, I'll be adding a little bit of coffee to the pan at the beginning, but my turkey is rubbed with lemon juice, garlic, black pepper, sea salt, poultry seasoning, and a little olive oil which will be adding a lot of flavor. I prefer a roux thickened gravy, but for Thanksgiving ease, I usually do corn starch dissolved in cold water.

Literally google -Infrared turkey fryer you lazy fuck.

>Is it possible to make gravy without the drippings? I'm planning on deep frying mine.
Simmer the neck and giblets on a back burner the whole time, bit of onion and celery in there.

I'm not talking about reducing it forever, just having a nice hearty jus.

gonna use a packet

Boston Market beats KFC, by the way (and Col. Sanders agrees)

Use about 1-2 bottles of wine and cook for a very long time.

Can you give a more detailed description?
I'm curious.

Why does something that tastes so good have to be made in such a disgusting manner?

Because you aren't going to life forever, faggot.
Eat some liquid fat and fuck your cousin.

Is it okay to just buy broth from the store?

Stock, not broth, but yeah. Just do a little research on brands first because some are shit.

>because some are shit.
All are shit.

This, I've never found a good one. They're all far too watery (not enough gelatin) and too salty (not talking about health--talking about flavor).

>cook turkey neck and bits in cast iron pan to get fat
>add flour, salt, and MSG
>cook until lightly browned
>add room temp broth, garlic, black pepper, and a shot of hot sauce
>stir together and let cook until thickened
>pour over everything

Nothing fancy. I'll probably add some drippings from my brined turkey as well.

There is a way to cheat at this by adding some plain powdered gelatin to store bought stock to give it a serious upgrade in texture and body. Nothing beats making stock from a roast chicken though.

this almost exactly, except no one dares approach me while i'm whisking muh grave

>>there is a way to cheat at this
Sure. But why bother when making real stock is cheap and easy?

Time, son. Also having a quart of chicken stock in the pantry is pretty convenient for last-minute sauces and you don't really have to worry about it or gelatin going bad like homemade stuff. I just don't have the turnover of constantly going through homemade stock when I cook only for 2. Worth it when I'm making gravy or soup, though.

I'm not making gravy; I'm making Sauce Robert to go with a roasted pork tenderloin.

>>time

Yeah, it does take a while to make stock but it's 99% hands-off. The stock can simmer while you do other things; it's not as if you have to babysit it for the whole cooking time.

There's also plenty of ways to make it even easier. Prepare it in a crock pot overnight or use a pressure cooker and have it done in 1/3 the time it would normally take.

>>worry about it going bad
Just portion it up and chuck it in the freezer. Or use your pressure cooker to can it in jars and then it can just sit on the shelf.

I hear ya man, but I don't have much space to do all that stuff. I live in a little New York apartment and don't have a slow cooker or a pressure cooker. No need to convince me that homemade is better, I make a great demi-glace. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just use your oven.
1) roast a chicken
2) cut up roasted chicken and toss carcass/bones in a 2qt sauce pan with a bay leaf and peppercorns
3) fill pan with water and put into a 180 - 200 oven.

Let it do its thing until you go to bed, or if you trust your oven let it go all night Just don't add veg (onion, carrot) until the last hour, the veg has a tendency to soak up the broth. You're not suppose to boil/simmer stock so the oven temp works great.

I forgot to mention that you should not forget to grab that chicken leg bone your girlfriend has been gnawing on. It's only embarrassing the first couple of times, but after a few weeks she'll be tossing that bone in the stockpot herself.

You really really don't want me to use packaged stock for any reason, do you? Rest assured, I made a nice concentrated stock in advance for my thanksgiving gravy. Thanks for sharing your method though, I'll give it a try sometime.

Are you going to at least pay for it first?

I have seen chicken fat extract in the fridge, is there. Simple way to make gravy from that

Yurop here
Never had thanks giving
What do you usually eat? Why is gravy so important?

Sorry, but what is disgusting about making gravy? Simmering bones?

Turkey, gravy because A) it's delicious and B) most people overcook their turkeys, cranberry sauce, "stuffing" (difficult to explain exactly what this is), lots of other shit I'm forgetting

Turkey, dressing/stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes/yams, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, rolls, maybe other stuff. Usually pumpkin pie for dessert, sometimes pecan pie too. Gravy is important because 2bh turkey is kinda bland and boring, and it's good on mashed potatoes and stuffing too.

I rip the rolls up and mix in shredded turkey and cover it in gravy then mix dressing into it and mashed potatoes so my plate is one giant mess with half a liter of gravy mixed in. It's amazing

I always think to myself that KFC bowls are disgusting, and yet that's pretty much what Thanksgiving seconds and leftovers are.

Except if you make bomb-ass turkey salad sandwiches. Dip that shit in hot gravy, son.

yeah.... isn't this how literally every should do it?

I thought that is how everyone did it.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING DON'T FUCK THIS UP

too late

>take all the turkey drippings, put in container
>make a roux in the saucepan
>add some turkey stock to the roux
>add drippings from the turkey

pesto walla