Mashed Potatoes Recipe

I made this post last week as well, but I thought it would be a good idea to have a run at it again in case anyone missed it:

I've been tasked with making the mashed potatoes for this years thanksgiving dinner, and I was wondering if you guys had any tried and true recipes or just tips and tricks in general for how to make good mashed potatoes. Last thread I noticed you guys recommended I not use red potatoes because they are too waxy, so I'm gonna try yukon gold instead, but I barely heard any input on herbs or spices to use.

TL;DR post your best mashed potatoes recipes!

I actually highly suggest and recommend red potatoes. they have the best taste, and really nice skins.

chop em up so all pieces are roughly same size.. inch cubes or so. I sometimes do thin cubes.. 1*1*1/2 they cook faster this way

drain them, add a shit ton of butter.. maybe.. 1 stick per 3 pounds of potatoes.. or more.

add regular whipping cream till it hits the liquid state you want. i'd say.. 1/2 to 1 cup per 3 pounds of potatoes.

salt to taste... salt.. salt salt to taste. probably... 1 to 2 teaspoons per 3 pounds of potatoes.

i am also in charge of potatoes this year.. have been for a decade. i do this all by feel.

my friend uses a blend of reds and yukon golds and swears by it.

i leave the skins on and hand mash, but only enough so that it is still "rustic" and slightly lumpy.

its not how everyone likes them... to each their own.

i think if you want super smooth you oughta just use boxed mashed potatoes. the rough lumpy mash is the heavenly domain of authentic potatoes.

some people add a ton of cheese and that can be pretty good too. i don't bother. but a bit of garlic and parmesan can be super fly.

Heavy Cream
Butter
Chives

It's god damn mashed potatoes

butter
cream or sour cream
chives
black pepper

if they will not be served with gravy or sauce then garlic and salt as well, otherwise don't bother

>sour cream

FUCK you.

Peel 3 potato
Cut into chunks
Boil till fork goes in easy
Drain
Mash
Add spoon of butter
Add splash of milk
Salt to waste
Don't put in fridge until its room temperature

What's the best way to reheat your potatoes if you have to make them the night before instead of the day of?

end your own life

Microwave

Russet
Salt
Pepper
Butter
Heavy cream or milk

All to taste. No chives or anything else.

Gold would be more waxy.

I always get the fluffiest with russet. Peal and quarter the p's and soak them overnight in water. Drain this off, it will get rid of much of the starch that turns them into glue if you fuck with them too much. I always mixed mine with a hook, and add PLENTY of salt, butter, and some whole milk, pepper to taste. Do not overmix, I repeat, DO NOT OVERMIX. I would tell you to use a ricer for maximun autism, but that would add cost.
An mix of red and russet has more flavor, and works well together. I like a little skin, but some people do not at all.
I'm not a fan of the funky mashed p's, but you could roast some fresh garlic until it gets really soft, and mix that in.
In my advanced age, lumpy mashed p's has really, really lost it's charm. Perhaps I am getting more refined, or pretentious, but fluffy, smooth mashed p's are so much harder to make, and taste soo much better I now believe. Chunks are for lazy faggots and niggers.

I like sorta lumpy, and ill was just gonna leave the skin on (unless russet skin is too rough? I can't remember)

3-4 pounds yellow/yukon gold potatoes
1 lb butter
1 minced garlic clove if wanting garlic mashed taters

cut into quarters, raise to a boil, keep it simmering for 25 minutes and then do the mashing and buttering part. hit with some salt and pepper to your liking, but remember to have leeway with the salt in case some people like to manually add salt.

potato soup is good too (it's mine)

Peal about half or more. All the skin on is really getting to be too much. The key is too soak them overnight in water. I worked for years in restaurants and this was the key to fluffy mashed p's. You can blend them more if you do this, because the starch is gone that will make them stiff and gluey. Leaving chunks is sometimes neccessary, because if you mix mashed p's too much, they turn to glue. Your grandma and aunt know this, and if you turn out soft, fluffy mashed p's, they will be impressed. But do your own thing.

We had this post about 16 times already.
Summary:
Use russets
Peel, chunk evenly, boil in well salted water
Mash with butter, a fucking shitload of butter
Cream, half & half, milk, sour cream, whatever it takes to make the texture right
Minimal herbs, spices, other bullshit. Its mashed potatoes, dont fuck it up with extra bullshit. ONLY BUTTER
YOU CANT HAVE ENOUGH BUTTER
got it? now, lets have this thread about 60 times more, because THANKSGIVING!!!

Sounds incredible, but holy fuck that's a lot of calories per spoonful.

2(or3):1 potato (gold or russett) to butter.
boil in a 3% salt solution.
Add a bit of warm milk to get the consistency you desire.

It's once a fucking year, killjoy

Calm down amerifat -- I'm just commenting on how rich they are.

Tbh, I don't know if I would enjoy something that cloy.

I usually add a bit of parsnip in my mash. Between 1:1 and 1:3 is a good potato-to-parsnip ratio. Bit of butter, cream, finely shredded parmesan and a tiny bit of salt and white pepper.

Just because you do doesn't mean I should. You forget to explain WHY you do it. Justify your methods faggot.
Seriously, if you people were interviewing for a job, you'd all be rejected. You need reasons for why you do what you do, its called fact based decision making.

Why? Because it tastes good, it's that simple.

If it were for any other reason I would've made that clear. Understanding things that aren't explicitly spelled out for you is a very valuable skill.

OP requested recipes, not well researched comments with their references in APA format. Calm the fuck down.

Sorry, replied to wrong comment -- meant to reply to

The real tip to give is to use euro style butter (higher butterfat content).

Troll post.

Do NOT use red potatoes, or any kind of waxy potatoes, for mashed potatoes. Stick to starchy varieties like Russets.

Don't believe me? Look it up.

Don't believe everything you read faggot. Mashed red potatoes aren't going to be shitty or the end of the world.

We get it, you read this factoid and now spend your lifetime vehemently defending and spewing it out.

red potatoes tend to become soupy when you mash the shit out of them. Source: i'm not a fucking idiot

DUDES

Mashed red potatoes are good, generally when you're making a smaller batch or going to serve and consume them right away. Think a good weekday dinner or something like that.

For Thanksgiving? Yukon Gold or Russets will do best, because you have to consider that they'll sit there for awhile, not be served piping hot, and generally need to be forgiving.

Don't let them sit in the water or get water logged. Immediately put in, immediately drain, immediately mash. They get a weird stiffness if they sit out and you've let them sit in the water. They also get a weird stiffness if you don't add enough fat (butter and milk or cream). I salt the water that they cook in as well. It's kind of a pain to salt your plate at Thanksgiving, so make sure they have flavor. Other times of the year, I won't necessarily drain the potatoes completely, leaving a little salted starchy potato water, but on Thanksgiving I drain them completely, and am very very very generous with the butter. I also add whole milk/cream, but butter is number one. Sometimes adding sour cream or cream cheese will help them if they have to sit for a long time, too.

Now, you gotta decide if you want a flavor or just simple mashed potatoes. I usually do simple, because most will be covered in gravy. Find out what kind of gravy AND stuffing will be served and make sure it's not conflicting and not necessarily the same either (in case someone doesn't like a certain herb or flavor profile, then they can eat one or the other). I'd almost make a simple potato (maybe with cream cheese) over anything else, unless you have something special you want to try and have done it before.

I'm speaking from a lifetime of experience. Since I can't show you this experience, the best I can do is demonstrate that I'm not the only source.

Literally every mashed potato recipe I've ever read and everyone I've ever asked about their personal mashed potato recipe has said that pretty much any potato except red. Pretty sure everyone except you is right

I'd say 10-15 large russet potatoes, depending on family size.

Slice into medallions and cut each into 4 cubes.

Boil with fresh garlic and diced onion (I use onion powder, because I don't care for the texture).

Once potatoes are done, strain and pour into mixing bowl.

Drop in 1-2 sticks of sweet cream butter and start on the lowest setting to avoid splatter. (I really prefer a Kitchen Aid, but hand mixers are great if you are away from home)

Once the butter starts to really mix in, turn the speed up a notch and pour in milk as you mix. How much milk you add is dependent on how you creamy you like it.

Add salt and pepper to taste and your done.

It's a pretty basic recipe, but I've been taking charge of the potatoes these last couple of years and everyone seems to love them.

Here's some I threw together with piece of quick Tilapia.

Seriously americans. 2016 and you still haven't learnt to PEEL your potatoes BEFORE you mash them!

Literally boil potatoes and mash them. What the fuck is wrong with you.

I always figured the only time you left the skin on, was when cooking with reds, because it's the only skin I find edible.

Use russets you mongoloid

Yukon Gold > Russet

Will result in a creamier texture and richer flavor.

Don't listen to these idiots saying to use Russets, a baking potato, for mashed potatos. They don't know what they're doing.

Mash em with chives, butter, salt, pepper, garlic (powder?) Old Bay, and grated cheddar. Wala!

What would anons use instead of butter / milk / cream?

water bath, put the mash in a bowl, inside a larger pot of water to gently heat. Do not microwave, it turns them to shit.

Buttermilk

Oh user

When to add cheese?

Smegma

When serving

At every phase of preparation to table.

>Old Bay
You, sir, are a faggot.

Hello, Amerifat.
t. Fellow Amerifat.