Post your favorite asian grocer/weeb snack items

Post your favorite asian grocer/weeb snack items.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calpis
youtube.com/watch?v=cJYfyzYufes
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This looks like rubbing alcohol. I'm going to assume it's rubbing alcohol.

Translation for those who don't read moon-runes?

Daddy's Cummies™
(New improved lubrication technology for easier guzzling!)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calpis

Calpis, it's called a yoghurt drink and I guess I can't think of any other way to describe it. It's sweet and milky, uncarbonated. Tastes amazing.

So it's like a shitty weeb Lassi?

I would hope it's not carbonated, I can only imagine how disgusting carbonated dairy would be.

not like it's any different than a regular bar of milk chocolate but I like how it's not as sugary as most american chocolate

I don't think it's literally yoghurt. There is a carbonated version which is very nice but the regular stuff is better in my opinion.

It's also only the consistency of water so the carbonation doesn't really detract from it.

So it's like a soda or juice mixed with "yogurt"?

Dayum, that shit looks nice.

I love making mochi flavoured stuff, and I can only imagine how nice that is...

It is it's own thing I can't really give an accurate comparison. It's sweet with a hint of that same tang yoghurt has.

>mochi flavored

All milk candies are good, but this is especially good

Posting the godfather.

Meh, I don't quite understand the appeal -- it's just chocolate on a pretzel. Weebs go apeshit for it though...

If I could get this stuff in packs I would.

its a meme

It's chocolate with a crunchy texture. No reason not to like it.

Or you could just have a chocolate pretzel which is both cheaper and better.

luckily i live in hawaii and can get this shit at 7-11

Why do you keep trying to reduce something you've never had down to some bad thing? Its its own drink with a unique flavor

Regular pocky is just ok. The seasonal flavors are great. But they don't usually make it out of Japan

But for the regular flavor topo is much better

I'm not trying to attack some drink I've never laid my hands on, I'm asking questions to understand what the fuck it is.

he's trying to make the experience relateable you twat

I don't know if they've got these where you live but Calpis tastes really close to these, a bit sweeter and a little more mellow but overall quite similar. Not sure if other brands of probiotics use a similar flavouring.

Maybe he should just travel a little. Lactic drinks are pretty uncommon in the US, but I've seen a lot of different brands in Asia, Europe, and the middle east.

I live in a métropolitain Canadian city and don't need to travel to experience food from various countries/cultures. Not to say I don't want to when the student debt is less crippling and I'm not just working 80hrs a week.

It should be no surprise to anyone with a passing familiarity with vidcons that pocky is the ideal food to snack on when playing mentioned objects ( although 'playing' is an inappropriate word, becuase you experience, rather than play, a vidcon: I shall use 'playing' for the sake of simplicity). For those ignorant to the intricacies of this fine Japanese cuisine, imagine a delicate stick of sweetened bread about the width and length of a chopstick, its tip coated in the richest chocolate imaginable. The bold flavor of the chocolate is complimented by the small nuts that caress the tip, creating a culinary juxtaposition of sweetness and saltiness that can only have been hatched in the mind of a chef versed in the subtle paradoxes of Eastern cooking. They are light and easy to eat and hold, useful for vidconning on the go, and their sugar content add that extra boost for late night vidcons. Therefore, pocky has garnered itself the precious title of "Ultimate Vidcon Snack". Perhaps the only drawback of pocky is its limited availability in the West, though this cannot be attributed to the snack itself, but the infuriating baboons that think they are running grocery stores.

3/10 for eastern culinary paradoxes copypasta

>Eating regionalized food is the same as the food from other countries

Yea you really need to travel.
You're probably the same kind of guy that argues that cheesesteaks, sushi, BBQ, etc are the same pretty much everywhere since the ingredients and recipes are alll over the internet.

I don't mean regionalized food -- I mean there exist specialty grocery stores and shops that carry imported goods from nearly every country.

>regionalized food
Most immigrants in Canada do not integrate. We have large Chinese, Korean, Iranian, etc. enclaves in cities, who prepare their food as they would back home. They aren't "Americanized" or producing bastardized versions, they are cooking it for other landed immigrants.

In many cases, the only differences between ethnic foods in Canada versus their homeland that I could detect is the freshness of the ingredients (mainly seafood) or available cuts/meats (e.g.: Japan).

Omitting the "atmosphere", I'd can't really say the food in China, Thailand, or Korea was much better than the good restaurants I've been to in Toronto or Vancouver. More diverse dishes in the homeland, but the quality wasn't necessarily better.

We have better hygiene and meat quality here. If the chef is good and can get all the ingredients, the location you are eating it doesn't matter.

Welcome to the global world.

The greatest soda in existence is pic related. Literally the only soda float I've ever liked as well (got it by accident the first time since it was listed as cream soda).

Everyone I've ever given it to as a gift has agreed and I always am asked to lug back tons of it whenever I'm in Japan.

Its just fucking annoying because it is only sold bottle size at some 7 and i-Holdings or served as a fountain drink at some family restaurants. Its impossible to buy in bulk or at grocery stores and the knock off melon sodas that you can find in Japanese stores are all garbage.

Seems a shame that Coke Japan is sitting on such a gold mine and seems to have no clue since Japanese people don't drink much soda and just regard it as one of the common flavors of Japan.

Every time I see fanta, I think of this scene from the Sopranos

youtube.com/watch?v=cJYfyzYufes

I don't think you've explored enough or just were simply thinking of your travel budget and not realizing the difference in price.

For me cheesesteaks and sushi are good examples of the world not being truly global when it comes to food. Cheesesteaks are pretty basic. Thinly sliced steak, cheese (provolone or american), onions, and a sub/hoagie roll. Seems easy enough but they tend to suck outside of the northeast, especially the farther you get away from Philly since the bread is extremely important and that style just isn't made elsewhere. The cooking technique and cut of the steak is important as well. Steak cut that style just isn't found commonly in the US. And that bullshit technique you'll find on the internet about freezing the steak a little and then cutting it with a sharp knife are nonstarters since you still end up with steak that is way to thick and you end up with bits instead of sheets since the proper cut of meat isn't sold in blocks.

Sushi is another good example because recently you have been able to get sushi as good as Japan in some of the major cities in the world. The problem is Japanese grocery store sushi for about 500 yen is better than nearly all of the low to mid-tier places I've been to. American grocery store sushi is obviously garbage since even premade sushi is kept at just below room temp since refrigeration ruins the the rice. The higher end sushi I've had in the US tends to be about the same as the half way decent low-mid places in Japan, but its just such a rip off for what you're getting at those prices.

I'll admit however I wasn't wowwed the first time I went to a mid-tier place in Japan compared to the US, but once you eat enough of it and come back you realize how garbage so many places are in the US. Theres a reason the fried and super sauce covered sushi are the most popular, its because the underlying fish and rice are just really bad.

NOTHING compares to pocari sweat

seriously, this stuff tastes like sex and it also is great for hydration, amazing for hangovers

I see this all the time but I never bothered buying a bottle. What's it like?

Trips of truth. Nothing beats guzzling down litres of Sweat.

Tastes like pool water.

... chlorinated or salt water?

Who the fuck puts salt water in a pool?

Have you never heard of a salt water pool? It's just an alternate way of keeping pool water clean without using chlorine.

It's not sea-water levels of salty, it's more like vaguely salty. It's not even enough salt to sting your eyes in most cases.

Salt water. Closest adjective I can think of would be chalky. But only slightly, it's pleasant to drink.

Nope, never heard of that.
Is that a European thing or something?

Its like a shitty salty grape fruit flavored gatorade. Grapefruit flavored drinks are popular in Japan but its only popular else where because of the name

Not him but I've seen plenty in florida.

mah nigga

this
they have powder packs so you can make it at home + its cheaper
i've started buying those so i dont have to go to buy it so often

I got a box of the Meiji chocolate macadamias every time I visited a 7/11 or Family Mart when I was in Japan.

this thread is fucking terrible desu

it's like thin kefir

Fanta is a catch all label applied to local pop when coke buys them up.

If you started a melon soda company in the US and sold coke a controlling share you would have melon fanta in the US.

It would not necessarily have to be even vaguely similar. Common flavors vary from place to place as Fanta can mean anything anywhere.

You nigger threw away the opportunity, calpis tastes like yakult, period.

god tier

What's the deal with the bottles, anyway? They must be more than mere novelty. Nice though. For me it's pic related. Drink with cool Doritos or similar for the Kaiji underground mine experience.

these are great, made me super popular in middleschool

I remember getting these with a booster pack of japanese pokemon cards at the local asian market. Good times

Those bottles are actually an old British design called a "Cobb neck bottle". It was invented well before the advent of the modern metal "cap".

As the metal "crown cap" was invented & become cheap to manufacture most brands stopped using the Cobb type bottle, but a few brands kept it to stand out & be different than the rest. Ramune is well known. I think there's also an Indian soft drink that uses the same kind of bottle.

I let my ribot milk open for a night before drinking it and it makes it naturally carbonated.

>Cobb neck bottle
*Codd

Yeah no completely wrong

Tastes like Hawaiian Punch

Hawaiian Punch tastes awful

Best Pocky

Macadamia is best flavor.

I just want their vending machines. Buying a cold beer or a hot coffee from a vending machine sounds great.

This shit right here. It smells like shit but it's my crack.

>mochi flavored

This is pretty good I guess

>mochi flavoured

Apologize to the Japs.

>bags of asian pesticide
Nice

>apologize to the weebs
Ftfy

>I live in a métropolitain Canadian city

You live in Montreal, might as well eat old socks for lunch.

Probably the worst food in Canada.

Tyvm

Kopiko candies
Those little chocolate sponge circles
Frozen japchae
Mochi stuffed with mango ice cream
Gochujang
Sweet chili sauce
Kola champagne (it's Jamaican but they sell it at korean stores)
Ramune soda
Pretty much any kind of frozen dumplings

I can't think of anything else.

I forgot these little bastards

Again the argument for leaving your hovel.

Those are amazing. I have korean friends and they have these on deck.

My niggas. This is how I got through 8am Chinese classes in Taiwan

One of my favorite snacks. Puffed barley covered in chocolate.

Is this from shut up and jam gaiden

Pocari Sweat is awesome.

Drank shitloads of it while hiking in Japan.

Also, Mitsuya Cider as featured in OP vending machine.

Pic related is so good. I love Korean spicy snacks. Sorry if this doesn't count as a weeb snack

Same, smells like shit my roommate won't come near me when I eat this. They also make a spicy version that's pretty great

Pocari Sweat is actually really good.

Its like a less sweet, slightly saltier, white poweraid/gatorade. Drank it a lot when I was in Tokyo.

Its known for its weird name and looking like bottled sweat.

Trips confirm.
I bought 1kg of the dry powder when I was in Korea. So good.

Having just come back from Japan, peach water was the absolute best drink I had there. 10/10 number one item I got from the vending machines

God damn I want to go back to Japan someday.

>First class car on the bullet train
>Eating a boxed lunch from the station
>Whiskey Soda (Highball) in a can
>See mountains in the distance on the way to Osaka

Not even into weeb shit but those fuckers know how to do shit in Japan.

my taste buds are erect

Is that a pickled plum on the rice?

it's kinda like propel if you've ever had that.

I usually buy UCC brand canned oolong and green tea, plus indomie instant noodles.

is first class worth it on the shinkansen? im going in march