Rice Cookers

Literally every asian I know owns a rice cooker of some sort. So I decided to pick up this unit and I'm really happy with it. Makes jasmine, basmati and parboiled rice really well.

Aside from the ridiculous things like chocolate cake and spaghetti that some people make in them, what are some good uses I can reap from my purchase?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00CCVNX0O/ref=psdc_678540011_t1_B0078T462Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah, the pressure cooker styles are the best.

Some people use them for soups and stews, but I think that's dumb. You can steam shit in them too but again, that's just kind of what you'd expect.

I've already made some fried rice with leftovers, it's so fucking nice.

I can't ever see why you would make stew in a crock pot or steamer, you'll get zero browning of the meat/veggies and little flavour as a result. Putting a pot in the oven is basically the same level of effort as a crock pot but is vastly superior.

Any grain. I like cooking barley in it. Steelcut oats are good, too.

Good for making quinoa. Rinse your quinoa, do a 2:1 ratio of water to quinoa, cook lime you would white rice

Oh, I have a bag of quinoa I've never even bothered to open. I should try...

Anyone tried couscous?

Yes and it was excellent. I used about 2.5:1 (2:1 of water and then added some stock) and it came out fluffy and perfect.

Last question -- did you rinse/wash the couscous before cooking?

>Locking lid
>Japanese company
>Has fuzzy logic
>Cost atleast 100 bucks

Check off all of those and it will make rice better than your stove ever could. Past 100 bucks then you start getting into features. I've seen the 200+ models but unless you're buying extremely high quality rice I don't think they're worth it

That was essentially my idea behind picking up that Tiger rice cooker. The reviews were pretty positive and I was sick of jasmine making rice inconsistently.

Neuro Fuzzy master race reporting in. I've got the 5.5 cup Zojirushi, and while it's a bit unitasker-y, it's hands down some of the best rice I've made. I like to mix a medium grain rice like calrose with quinoa at a 1:1 to 2:1 ratio, put it on the "Mixed" setting, and let it go. Sure, it takes quite a bit longer to make rice in the Neuro Fuzzies vs the pressure cooker style (between 45-60 min on regular settings) but the rice is so good and if you're eating rice several times a week it's a good investment. The timer capability is real nice (I can set it before work then come home to fresh rice) and the song it sings when rice is done brings joy to my heart.

I do agree that the really expensive models (mine was a gift, currently about $160 on Amazon) aren't worth it if you're not having rice on a regular basis or aren't shelling out for at least decent rice. Granted, if you live in an area with access to an Asian market, you can get really good rices for still pretty cheap (15 pound bags of imported rice for $12-$25 depending on brand/type)

You don't cook cous-cous. You pour boiling water on it in a bowl, cover the bowl with a cloth and leave it to infuse.
If it looks a little dry, just add more water.
Remember to fluff it up a few times to allow the steam in the bowl to reach all parts of the cous-cous.

I have been using a $40 rice cooker for years and it cooks well. is there really that much of a difference?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with unitaskers. Its an arbitrary rule made up by a guy that a lot of people our age learned techniques from.

The real rule is to not buy a bunch of shit and clutter up your kitchen with shit you never use and/or is hard clean because its a waste of money and makes it harder to locate things you actually use.

Yes, theres big differences between the $20 potlids, the $50 locking lids, and the $100+ good rice cookers.

The quality ones will make rice better than stove.

whats good? is Zoji worth it or overpriced?

Zoji isn't overpriced -- it's just what happens to occupy the high end ~300 dollar units.

Tiger is a decent choice if you're down for ~100 bucks of investment.

amazon.com/dp/B00CCVNX0O/ref=psdc_678540011_t1_B0078T462Y
for anyone reading the thread get this one

if i buy one and i dont have some amazing rice we are gonna have some issues

Zoujirushi is the best money can buy, but Tiger will elevate your rice above the stove and the shitty rice cookers if you're on a budget

Yes. Zero burnt rice, zero stuck on rice, even heating and cooking, no excess moisture, can account for too much or too little water, etc. But again, if you're making rice maybe 2-3 times a month, it's probably not worth the investment. I make rice 2-3 a week, and it's been a godsend compared to rice cookers I've used between graduating high school to when I got the Zojirushi.

Arguable on the "absolutely nothing wrong" part, since so many unitaskers are kitschy bullshit things, but I think a rice cooker is definitely something worthwhile buying.

Just follow directions (the higher-end Zojirushis come with charts for water:grain ratios and settings to ensure optimal performance) and you should be gold. Zojirushi and Tiger are both really good Asian brands that are widely available in the US, and if you live near a large Asian market they might have them on the shelves