Is cold brew coffee good?

is cold brew coffee good?

being able to brew coffee overnight and have it ready first thing in the morning without doing any additional work that morning sounds pretty awesome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=echYUZMCZbs
youtube.com/watch?v=WplOVwxrJgU
foodwishes.blogspot.com/2012/07/affogato-and-black-magic-of-cold-brewed.html
smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/cold-brewed-iced-coffee/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No, it's weak as shit and flavorless.

just like you

I find it brings out the acidic notes of coffee, which some people like. I like to reheat cold brew and mix in sweetened condensed milk

wrong and wrong, it REDUCES the acid flavors in coffee as long as it has at least 12 hr in the fridge, and it is very strong coffee indeed

It's like a gang of downies stumbled upon this thread first. Cold brew coffee is awesome. It's famous for being less acidic, and having a naturally "sweeter" taste. It's very concentrated at first, and people typically cut it with water or milk.

Most people steep 12-24 hours. I recommend making a couple liters at a time, and just keeping it in the fridge. It will keep for 7+ days no problem.

Cold brew is great. I find myself choosing it over other kinds of coffee more often than not nowadays. It is less acidic (and necessarily easier on the stomach) and more flavorful and aromatic than hot coffee, not to mention quick and easy to prepare. I like to think it tastes more like the way the coffee grounds smell than in regular coffee, which is neat.

I have pleb taste and didn't notice a difference between cold brew and regular drip brewed coffee, so frankly I see it as a waste of money because cold brew uses more grounds for the same amount of coffee.

What if its current popularity was just a conspiracy to make people buy more coffee?

>is cold brew coffee good?

It's fine. It has a slightly different flavor profile. It's more balanced, not as acidic, but not as bitter, either. It's very easy for me to make some black cold brew and drink it fast.

I usually use my normal amount of beans, put it in the french press with the plunger up, and wa-la it's ready in about 18 hours.

Go back to /b/.

Starbucks wants you to buy their overpriced meme cold brew, just do whatever you want, who cares.

Then you're doing it wrong.

It really depends on what you like in your cup. A fruitier/acidic coffee or a roastier/nutty coffee.

Cold brew tends to yield less acidic brews. And you need more beans to produce a cup than brewing it hot.

Do you drink this shit cold?

>no additional work in the morning

I brew it in a Mason jar and then just pour it through a coffee filter in the removable plastic part of my drip coffee maker into the pot for the coffee maker then I rinse all the grounds out of the Mason jar and then put the coffee back in it. You still have to filter the cold brew after you brew it unless you drink coffee grounds.

OF COURSE

I tried Starbuck cold brew and it's fucking disgusting black. I spent $4 on a 10oz bottle of artisinal ice coffee and it was disgusting as fuck black. I make iced coffee with $10 per 2 pound bag of whole bean coffee and it tastes fine black.

I think they're just trying to cash in on a trend because people who don't brew their own coffee are stupid and have shit taste.

Why not just put a paper filter under the sleeve end of the mason jars cap and save cleaning the coffee makers filter?

it's the best brew method for coffee imho. you can get a really strong chocolatey, nutty, or fruity flavor depending on your beans. too bad it sucks to drink when it's cold out though.

Half the time I drink it cold, half the time I heat it in the microwave until it's hot but not boiling.

I gotta tell ya, if somebody gifts me some gnarly low-rent coffee, I'll cold brew it to mitigate the stankiness. Makes me think that those chain coffee places use supreme sucko beans if their cold brew tastes assy.

Cold brew is delicious. I like to throw in some condensed milk, dark chocolate shavings and some caramel syrup and mix in a little whipped cream. Very tasty, I have about two a day.

how much do you weigh

131 lb 6'1"

Do you eat anything besides coffee milkshakes?

Whenever I make it it always comes out weak. Should I try a coarser or finer grind? A longer steep time?

you need more a lot more coffee than a regular brew

look online for the right ratios

I followed the instructions I found online. Maybe my beans weren't as fresh as I thought.

1:3 ratio coffee to beans, medium roast, coarse as fuck, leave on fridge for at least 12h

try doing it at room tempature instead of in the fridge

ratio by weight or volume?

I really really enjoy the ceremony of making coffee and it enhances the beverage somehow, anybody else?

Of course you dont need to heat the water using solid fuels but next month I'm gonna get some of these hand macerators to grind the beans manually.

youtube.com/watch?v=echYUZMCZbs

youtube.com/watch?v=WplOVwxrJgU

>inb4 cowboy coffee tastes shit
After I while you learn to enjoy another dimensions of the experience. Also you dont need to brew like this every time. Do as you feel like doing.

Volume

here

Mind you this will be bretty strong. If it is, you can also check lower ratios like:

foodwishes.blogspot.com/2012/07/affogato-and-black-magic-of-cold-brewed.html

smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/cold-brewed-iced-coffee/

Totally understand. At home I treat my French press like it's part of a summoning ritual.

No

i once put freeze dried coffee through the cold brew process and it doesnt completely dissolve
does it say something about how effective is the cold brew process?
coz in normal hot water it should dissolve completely

For straight up convenience I mostly drink cold brew these days, making a liter or two at a time.
I dunno about it necessarily more flavourful, as some people are saying, but the process definitely brings a different profile.
The acidity and bitterness doesn't come through at all, and depending on how concentrated you make it, the more fragrant notes can get pretty out there.
I do usually end up using a lot more coffee for it though, so although it saves times it's not as economical.
Condensed milk and cinnamon is also a nice touch if you wanna get all christmassy about it.

...no

put sugar in cold water
then put sugar in hot water
observe.

Substitute water with whole milk and then brew for 10 hours (milks fat content extracts more quicker). Then have cold brew latte

cold brew is the best

currently drinking 18 hour ethiopian blend with coconut milk creamer

get on my level

Cold brew is great, but I don't know why people are acting like it's fancy or artsy or anything. It's about the ugliest way you can make coffee.

You just take a gallon jar, grind up a shitton of coffee beans, dump it in a tea sack, put the sack in the jar, dump cold water in until full, close and toss on a counter for half a day, then pull the bag out, toss the beans, put the jar in the fridge, and wash the bag. There's less special shit here than sun tea. Don't get me wrong, like I said I love the stuff and it's my go-to way of making it because it's so simple, but I don't get what the fuss is about.

Here let me explain it to you.
>What is this X method of preparing Y of which I have no real knowledge about
>Therefore it must be a pretentious meme that is horrible, otherwise I'd know about it

The way I do it it takes around 24 hours, but it'll make over a week's worth. I put about a cup of grounds to 4 cups of water in a big jar and leave it for a day.

I found it's a lot easier if you make little 'teabags' by putting the grounds into coffee filters and tying them off so you don't have to filter it at the end.