Aging steak

Has anybody successfully aged their own steak? I'm thinking of buying this thesteakager.com

Has anybody tried this?

Place mine by the window in a pan with salt

I'd like to eat meat properly aged. Not shit thrown on a window sill

thought about doing a rib roast in one of those drybag things. the videos make it look easy and you only need a vacuum sealer (which I have) and a fridge (also covered)

I didn't bother to check out the link but you're generally better off making your own setup out of an old fridge or something.

Basically, all aging takes is temperature and humidity control along with some modicum of hygiene.
The biggest technical barrier for at-home aging is the humidity control and you may have some failures at first before you fine-tune your setup for your climate and home-environment but it basically just takes a fan and at most a dehumidifier/humidifier.

The cut of meat is very important, you should talk to local butchers or just the meat counter in markets about getting a full piece with fat cap intact. Even when it's not made into individual cuts and chops consumer meat often has much of these cap shaved away for convenience but it's pretty necessary for aging. This necessity is because as the process goes on if any unsavory molds start to form you should just trim away the affected part and when the meat is done you trim away all the exterior anyway and actually reduce the overall volume by a significant amount before cutting it into chops; this, along with the time, space and equipment costs, are why aged meat is as expensive as it is.

>Snapshot and Stella
Lol

I'm waiting for a Ja/ck/ review before buying anything.

I'ts a random picture off the internet fucking beer fags

It appears to be $250 for a box with 2 cookie racks.

Find a cheap mini fridge and just clean the shit out of it to get rid of anything that might be living in there: steam, bleach, alcohol, etc. Add a fan for air circulation. If you want to really invest in it, add a humidity controller.

There were several threads posted by one guy about two years ago. You might be able to find the threads in the archives.

We do our own meat and worked and I helped him a long a little bit and it turned out pretty nice.

The thing you need to remember is you need large portions of meat. Subprimals are best but not really suited for a home kitchen. A whole rib roast would be a good place to start but you are probably still looking at a couple hundred there and that's just for the meat

I've seen a few vids about dry aged beef and it seems like they all try to sugar-coat their review of the taste. Everyone talks about a "funk" or "bleu cheese" flavor past a certain point of aging. Kinda seems like it's a meme along the lines of spicy food reaching inedible heat just for the sake of bragging rights.
What's the appeal of dry aging and how long of an aging do you think it takes to cross the line?

What would happen if I put a piece of steak in a dehydrator for a while on the lowest setting?
Is there any way this would be beneficial?

It really is personal preference. We do 45 days for most stuff and it definitely has a little bit of that funk. Some take if further and push it to 60 days or more. That's a bit too much for me. The size of the meat also matters here too.

Dry aging does a lot. The meat becomes much more tender, the meat itself has a much deeper beef flavor, and the fat get a very unique cheese like flavor as well.

For your first few times I would probably not do anything longer than 30 days and would most likely recommend doing a 21 day aging process for your first time. You still get a lot of benefits of dry aging but you don't get a whole lot of the funkiness that can come with longer aging periods that might be off putting. Its fairly expensive so you better off starting slow than going for a 60 day age and then realizing you hate it and you've just wanted a few hundred dollars.

No, it would not be.

Stella isn't bad out of stubbies but tins are just fucking woeful

Thanks. I don't even think there's anywhere near me that does aged beef, but good to hear from a real person with first hand knowledge and not some douche reviewer that pretends everything is delicious.

How do you dry age your beef?

Inside your Mom

We have a separate walk-in at work for dry aging meats. Other than that its really just time and then basic butchery.

No problem.

Some days I spend up to six hours at a time in the cold room the butcher shop hangs meat in to age

The smell is hard to describe. Not quite straight up rotten, I have lots of experience with that. But something not quite like normal raw meat. Funk might actually be best word I have for it

Cut the nearly fossilized fat off of rib caps long enough and you start to like it

What are the best cuts to dry age?

young and wet ones.

If you are just staring out I would say a rib roast is going to be your best bet.

When someone directly asks another poster, in this case me, a question and you decide to answer as well it its polite to let them know that you aren't the person they are replying to.