Aspic

Are aspic dishes any good? I'm assuming not considering the countries it's popular in. What the fuck does it taste like? I imagine a nasty snotty chicken pot pie without gravy or crust in pic related. I want to try it, I was surprised balut eggs were good in my opinion, I want to know what I'm in for if I find some for sale or make a dish myself. What type is best also? Pork, chicken, beef etc?

Other urls found in this thread:

ablesbooks.com/Garde-Manger-The-Art-and-Craft-of-the-Cold-chen-by-The-Culinary-Institute-of-America-CIA_p_272506.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouvelle_cuisine#The_.22formula.22
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sauces#By_type
youtube.com/watch?v=EZe8WvC7gDo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Traditionally we make from pork, chicken is tasteless in aspic...beef? I think it's a waste of meat.
Always use the cheapest cuts od meat...also some pork lungs and livers are great in it...

>countries it's popular in
>aspic

No one likes aspic, it was meme food for the 1950s and everyone stopped eating it because it was shit.

We eat it still in my country, dickhead.
Fuck off.
Aspic is good, unleas you eat a loads of it.

I wasn't aware 1954 Milwaukee was a country, Potsie.

What (more common) food would you consider a good comparison for it's taste? Or is it unique?

It's very common in my country too. I never tryed it though because i assume it doesn't taste really good.

It was popular with european aristocracy already in 18th century.

Eurofag here, idiot, don't mess with fucking aspic..
It's kinda unique taste, cannot tell there is something similar

I personally love aspic but I like gelatinous foods, and I know a lot of others don't.

I guess the flavour of aspic depends on the strength of the gelatin and how it's made. The ones I eat come from left over stock from home made stews, usually pork. I enjoy store-bought brawn though.

Looks and tastes disgusting

I really like most food but this is seriously triggering me

>originated in white countries
It's shit.

>being this blind
This is what happens when you smoke memes. Aspic has been around much, much longer than the 1950s and didn't originate in the midwest US.

ablesbooks.com/Garde-Manger-The-Art-and-Craft-of-the-Cold-chen-by-The-Culinary-Institute-of-America-CIA_p_272506.html

Chapter 7 is terrines, pâtés, gelantines and roulades

A tomato aspic is a good place to start for those who aren't familiar with aspic. Good with cold cuts and bread on a warm day.

Aspic dishes look like some kind of sick joke from the 1950s.

Do not want.

the CIA teaches the fundamentals codified by the French. You'll see a lot of classical dishes/techniques that are no longer used in a restaurant. Like very few modern kitchen's will no longer use a roux based sauce. They just go out of fashion.

slap a little bit opf acid on it, the vinegar works wonders, splash a little bit on it as we do in my country

You're right, I'm just replying to cap'n meme that thinks the whole concept sprung out of a hole in the ground in some 1950s midwest housewifes backyard

>very few modern kitchen's will no longer use a roux based sauce.

There are no modern Cajun restaurants in the US. Also restaurants don't use sauces any more, since Bechamel, a roux sauce, is the base of almost all sauces.

Duh, look Mom, I know cooking and tell people!

Damn son, you'all got gud on duh 'puter! Hav' a rotel velveet' dip and chip.

>since Bechamel, a roux sauce, is the base of almost all sauces.
Bullshit. What about Hollandaise sauce, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, mayonnaise, cumberland sauce, crème anglaise, soy sauce or green sauce?

I said almost all sauces, dumbass, particularly those created during the creation of the dish, not presentation and accent to a finished dish.

You got rekt; now swallow, and move on.

>Bechamel
>Nouvelle cuisine
Pick one, retard.
The last time I had a veloute or bechamel it was from a greasy spoon diner.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouvelle_cuisine#The_.22formula.22

>nouvelle cuisine

You simpering dumbass. A single bite of foam is not going to be the epitome of dining for 98% of the people who enjoy good food.

Just because you're incapable of making a gumbo because you're incapable of making a quality roux, don't for an instance think anyone is interested in your hipster insanity.

The fact that you can't make quality provincial food shows your extreme lack of skill. Suggest you moderate the alcohol, opiate and coke intake, cook.

The topic of the conversation involved modern restaurants, not home cooking you inbred, redneck, illiterate. Restaurants follow nouvelle/post-nouvelle cuisine unless they are stuck in the 50's. You will not see a fucking hunk of protein swimming in a cream sauce anymore you bumpkin.

>t. Drugged out cook incapable of producing an edible provincial dish from any country.

Be thankful there are 2% of people in the world who have enough of a hipster imbecility who will pretend to enjoy your abominations because there might be a brain dead celebrity in the same building.

Congratulations. You can't cook good food. Now take another hit of coke, you frazzled fuckwad.

I honestly don't think I could eat the texture I imagine that shit to be like without vomiting

It's gross.

>incapable of producing an edible provincial dish from any country.
I'm guessing you don't see the irony in posting this.
But keep making your bechamel you washed up short order cook.

you need Christ in your life

I've made a few aspic things just to play with it - not sure if I'm doing it correctly, but essentially it tastes like what it is - jellied stock... like if you let a somewhat weak stock boil down to proper intensity and gelatinize.

The peas, carrots, and chicken jelly in your pic - you're probably dead on. I wouldn't think of using peas in aspic unless they were an absolute last second addition, and fresh - otherwise that canned/cooked green pea flavour is going to overtake everything... might work with a mild fish aspic with a bit of really finely diced onion as a side for some bastardized fish and chips (mushy peas).

I would make it yourself - whatever meat/veg preparation you're thinking of, and basically just seal it in gelatin and stock - this way you can control more-or-less what the end result will be.

As you can see here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sauces#By_type
like 80% of all sauces are not based on a roux sauce.

Is this basically presswurst? If so, that shit is dope. Especially when there's paprika in it. Put a slice on a toasted Kaiser roll with butter and it's the fkn bomb.

Did you go through them?

If you're basing this off of the "White sauce" category, you need to delve deeper.

white sauce and brown sauce category.
We both know I'm right but you're just to stubborn to admit your mistake.

I think your math's off if you're following that list (anything involving demi-glace or espagnole will contain roux) - even if you're counting each type of fruit sauce or mashed vegetable as its own entry.

On a global scale - yes, most sauces that aren't French in origin will not be roux based, traditionally speaking anyway. If you want to focus on every single Asian sauce that is not based on starch cooked in oil for instance, roux becomes a footnote.

If you are making anything gravy-like (including most curries), you're probably looking at ratio of something like 75% roux-based to 25% cornstarch-water.

If you want to look beyond the traditional, a lot of sauces can be made faster - if not easier or better- with the addition of a roux base (Hungarian especially... I mean... no, I absolutely rely on the tomatoes and meat to provide me with enough pectin and gelatin to do exactly what I want every time). Most flavours will not require a lengthy reduction time to set up, its more for physical alterations like gelatinization, and soft/thorough denaturing of protein.

But by all means, continue your argument with the other guy about french sauces in a thread about aspic.

>french sauces in a thread about aspic.
Eh, roux's, aspics; they are both techniques that went out of fashion years before you were born.

Aspics are about fashion, roux is about function. Gravies and cheese sauces will never be out of style in the home. Espagnole and demi-glace really should be understood by everyone as they are an easy way of making full use of leftovers... unless you work/live (same thing isn't it?) in a high-end restaurant, in which case: take advantage of the food they give you.

>years before you were born
>you
>(you)
>(yes you)

How old are you?

>veal
good luck finding veal bones in a supermarket.
it's where the majority of American's buy their food.

Unless you were born before the 60's then yes, aspics and roux thickened sauces were out of fashion in the U.S. Thick sauces were replaced with fresh herbs, lemon juice, vinaigrettes, gastriques and reductions

Most reasonable comment I've read so far. I can imagine tomato being good in jello.

>demi-glace
The same principle is most often applied to beef or poultry. Both of which can be applied to an aspic to great - if translucent - results. As for your commentary on veal, see:
>understood
vs
>utilized
or
>verbatim

>you(you)me?yesyou
That didn't even approach the question, nevermind answer it.

jellied tomato/aspic is fantastic and it carries other flavours spectacularly - it's a great alternative to something like pate in a lot of cases and can be made vegetarian/vegan if using plant-sourced gelatinizing agents like agar or pectin.

>if translucent
It's called a consommé you dumb fuck.

>That didn't even approach the question, nevermind answer it.
Do you not see the retardation involved in asking personal questions on a fucking anonymous imageboard?

demi-glace is never called consomme. Demi-glace aspic, although not traditional, is best described as aspic.

Your chicken fingers are burning.

>Demi-glace aspic, although not traditional
LOOK MAH, I make up fucking words!
No that's just a demi-glace, veal has gelatin in it so it sets up; its not a fucking aspic.
To make an aspic you first make a consommé.

Demi-glace per se should never solidify. Gelatinized demi-glace, mixed with consomme or not, containing fruit, vegetable, or meat is most easily described as a demi-glace aspic - mainly because nobody really wants "Jellied, thickened veal soup, moulded around figs" no matter how much closer to the truth it is.

To make a demi-glace, you must first make a stock.

To make a cheesecake from scratch, you must first dispose of your carbonized breaded chicken and create the universe.

Aspics have been around for centuries retard.

>Demi-glace per se should never solidify.
Retard, it will always solidify. Fucking bones have gelatin in them. Especially young bones found in veal.
youtube.com/watch?v=EZe8WvC7gDo

>
> Potsie.
Top kek

Incredibly concentrated and refrigerated for storage purposes, sure. I can solidify consomme for storage. It would never be served like this by anyone wishing to be allowed back into a kitchen.

Go eat some and report back. Better yet, try to serve some - call it "disassembled [whatever really]" and see how much of it you avoid wearing.

how many dicks have you sucked in your life

Like consecutively?

Do you want a snowball served in aspic? Maybe a shaving of pubic hair on top?

What sort of consomme do you think would work best? Langoustine?

>Like consecutively?
No, in parallel.

I'm not the one calling demi-glace an aspic. Why would I serve it?

You are the one cherrypicking text.

Immerse yourself in the following situation: You have demi-glace and veal consomme. You also have veal marrow, gelatin powder, fresh thyme, fresh juniper berries, and candied cherrybomb peppers. You decide to include a small amount of the demi-glace in what would otherwise be a somewhat lacking aspic, giving the end result somewhat of a smoked-glass effect. You create a cloudy sunset scene on a handful of plates with this smoky jelly, the slivered pepper, and the juniper gelee you decided to make. What do you call this abomination in order to fetch as much profit as you can for your restaurant, and justify serving a solid sauce at room temperature?

Imagine chicken soup flavored jello

Larks' Tongues in Aspic is patrician

checked

/mu/ get out

Simmenthal from Italy is basically aspic, and it tastes great.

Love that shit.