Does anyone here cook?

Does anyone here cook?
I had to cook thanksgiving dinner and so I scrambled a bunch of recipes from nytimes (which were really good). I really want to get into cooking.

I don't want to just be house mom-tier but I can understand if that's where i need to start.

My current idea is to maybe continue with NYtimes recipes, some gordon ramsay youtube videos, and get Metamorphosis of Taste as a guide.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Professional-Chef-Culinary-Institute-America/dp/0470421355/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480216068&sr=1-1&keywords=cia cookbook
amazon.com/New-Best-Recipe-Cooks-Illustrated/dp/0936184744/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480378828&sr=1-1&keywords=new best recipes
amazon.com/Cooks-Illustrated-Cookbook-Americas-Magazine/dp/1933615893/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480380210&sr=1-1&keywords=cooks illustrated cookbooks
amazon.com/Jacques-Pépin-New-Complete-Techniques/dp/1579129110/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480380302&sr=1-1&keywords=new complete techniques
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Does anyone here cook?
No. Fast food only.

no, get a skills book. Jacque pepin's Technique book is good. On Cooking is also a great reference. You can use the Internet for demonstrations.

agree. great recipes can be found for free on the web. Get a skills based book.

amazon.com/Professional-Chef-Culinary-Institute-America/dp/0470421355/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480216068&sr=1-1&keywords=cia cookbook

Thanks I'll check those out!

you need need NEED TO spend hundreds of hours hammering out basic technique under professional guidance.

you can't build a house without first learning how to make a brick, and it's no use making bricks until you have a solid foundation to lay your bricks upon.

Technique vs recipe book argument aside, don't start off with something like Atelier Crenn, man. It's just not good food to learn from. Start with something that'll get you invested and actively working from. The Momofuku cook book does that well, as does Koreatown and Deep South.

I'd highly recommend either of those to anyone. But if you have something you specifically want to read about, ask and I might have a recommendation.

>builders make bricks

I am a professional chef in an award winning restaurant who has a couple of friends who would give me a run for my money in a cook off which involves cooking a single meal.

To be clear, these friends do read and practice a whole lot, but it is in a different way and with different objectives than a professional chefs.

They would all fall over if required to run a section through service in professional kitchen, but they don't want or need that skillset.

Practice IS key, as is developing food knowledge, but pretending you need hundreds of hours under professional tuteledge to make top tier food is ridiculous...

Shiiieeeeet, one of them even makes his own charcuterie which is as good as any I have tasted.

There is no depth to cooking. Just look up recipes for what you want and attempt them. You'll eventually be able to make anything if you're not permanently stupid. A cookbook to get you started with is Thug Kitchen. It's vegan, so you won't make yourself ill with n00b fuckups.

How much does a chef at Wendys pull down these days?

Around $120k

>board called food and cooking
>Does anyone cook

>Atelier

>I don't want to just be house mom-tier but I can understand if that's where i need to start.

You don't need to start at house mom-tier but i would caution too much against trying to be a "not-housemom" by sometimes using convenience ingredients/simpler methods etc. and to not worry about being so precise and cheffy.

It's tempting to say "i'm better than a mom cook" and go full on DIY with full complicated recipes that try and cultivate a (superficially) "sciencey" vibe (c.f.. Kenji, Alton Brown, Cooks Illustrated/ATK, etc.) which appeal to semi-autist male nerds that are trying exceptionally hard not to be their mothers, but after a certain point you're getting super diminished returns when it takes you 2 days and multiple grocery store trips to track down all the ingredients to make some fuckin meatloaf (OTOH if you pick out a couple autist recipes and get good at them, then you can break them out when you need and that in itself is super impressive).

Anyway don't bother with chef-books (like that crenn book) until you know what you're doing. NYT recipes are hit or miss IMO but can serve as a decent enough guide. I like the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook as an all-purpose cookbook.

nytimes recipes are really great imo, and you can learn a lot from them and the other guides they have online

With most of the discussions are about fast food, it seems appropriate.

crenn is a hack tho

passable home cook here
>go shopping, buy meat and veg that looks good
>come home and look up ways to cook them
i'm not a professional, nor do i want to be. just wanna make tasty food desu

How many 3 michelin starred restaurants do you own?

Ratio by Michael Ruhlmann is good. It gives you a solid base from which you can make a lot of different shit. From pies to custards to vinaigrettes there's a lot of good fundamental knowledge in it

Trump Tower.

You guys keep suggesting these fancy hip new cooking books, but they're really not good for someone who wants a solid background in cooking.

I'd say it's better to just pick up and older edition of Joy of Cooking and use that.

>Joy of Cooking
That's been usurped by the cooks illustrated crew either:

amazon.com/New-Best-Recipe-Cooks-Illustrated/dp/0936184744/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480378828&sr=1-1&keywords=new best recipes
or
amazon.com/Cooks-Illustrated-Cookbook-Americas-Magazine/dp/1933615893/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480380210&sr=1-1&keywords=cooks illustrated cookbooks

also seconding Jacque Peppin's New complete techniques

amazon.com/Jacques-Pépin-New-Complete-Techniques/dp/1579129110/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480380302&sr=1-1&keywords=new complete techniques

That gives you about 2000 pages of techniques and recipes.

>some gordon ramsay youtube videos
If you're going that route, check out jamie oliver and the food tube crew, particularly gennaro contaldo. I find they do a better job of coming up pleb level recipes (as in, good dishes that you don't have to be a professional chef to make) than ramsay does, though he has some good ones too. Also you might look into chef john at food wishes, though he goes a little too pleb at times. And as always, en-joy!