Best hoagies in Philadelphia?

I'm going to be in center city Philadelphia a lot next month.

Where can i get the best hoagies or cheesesteaks.

I've heard good things about sarcones, as well as palm tree gourmet for hoagies and the usual jims/pats/genos for cheesesteaks?

Any people here have other recommendations? I prefer Italian hoagies if that matters.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SfhoXxhCEJU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Any people here have other recommendations

Other than avoiding Pennsylvania in general?

>hoagies
thats such a stupid name

get fucked asshole

i hate the construct of that sandwich

it's nearly impossible to get all of the ingredients in one bite. there's what? 1/36th of onion on it

fucking stupid

youtube.com/watch?v=SfhoXxhCEJU

video is a bit corny but they showcase some good joints

PrimoHoagies is a franchise and not a single location restaurant, but they're good.

Get the roast pork with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone in reading terminal market

Even supermarkets in Philly make decent Italian cold cut hoagies. It's not rocket science, it's just a god-tier sandwich. In terms of something worth seeking out consider the roast pork with broccoli rabe hoagie. That's the one worth going out of your way for.

You're supposed to take two bites before stopping to chew. You either go top->bottom or bottom->top depending on whether you want more veggies to hit your tastebuds first or meat. Then you chew them all together and savor it.

t. Hoagie Pro

Roast pork hoagie from reading terminal market. Any of the "famous" Cheesesteak joints are tourist traps and pretty shitty. Steves prince of steaks has good cheesesteaks though

Get yourself a roast pork sandwich at DiNic's in Reading Terminal Market

That was ok. Most of Philly seem to think it is trash though, but it was the only one I had for the brief time I was there.

seconding this

Why would anyone go to that shithole Pennsylvania

You reek of desperation

I visited philadelphia 10 years ago and reccomend pats king of steaks. You ride the 47 septa bus from center city and pats is a few blocks from Acme.

For cheese steaks you NEED to go to Pagano's on ogontz ave.

Fried onions, american cheese, and ketchup. You're welcome in advance.

Fuck your ketchup

jims steaks is legit

In Center City, it's just the same stuff you find in all large cities, like the standard hot dog carts, halal carts, Chinese food trucks and so on. If you want different, you leave CC.

Cheesesteaks and hoagies are South Philly staples.
Ricci's on 11th and Annin and Gooey Louie's on Moyamensing and... something (forgot what cross street) are usually touted as best in the city for hoagies with Katz's at 45th-ish and Locust a distant third.
As for cheesesteaks, pretty much anywhere that's not one of the big names will have relatively similar, decent cheesesteaks. As a tourist, you should note that while everywhere else in the country, cheesesteaks come with peppers as a standard, that's not the case here. If you want peppers, you have to ask for them.
At 23rd-ish and Oregon, there's a food truck that makes lamb cheesesteaks. I don't know what cheese he uses, since I've never ordered one, but I always get close to every time I pass by it.

If you do go down to the lamb cheesesteak place (and this is gonna sound weird, but), get yourself a sandwich from Home Depot. There's one right in the shopping plaza there and another on Delaware Ave/Columbus Blvd. Both of the two in South Philly have sandwich shops built into them that make good cheesesteaks, roast pork sandwiches and kielbasa sandwiches. Possibly other things, but I don't remember exactly.

Really, though, there's not much you can get here that you can't get anywhere else, but if you don't mind heading into rougher areas, Chinese places in the ghetto have things I've never seen in Chinese restaurants outside the area, like yat (basically Chinese spaghetti; it's lo mein noodles topped with stir-fried onion wedges and with meat of your choice and tossed in a weird tomato sauce thing; roast pork is the best one, IMO), General Tso's wings and salt and pepper fried chicken gizzards.
Some areas that are newly gentrified or getting there also carry these items, but they're few and far between.

Check out China Town, some of the best ramen I've ever had.

>Someone doesn't like something shitty that I do
>Better tell them to get fucked, since deep inside I know what they said is true
The fact that you haven't killed yourself is astounding. Tonight, when you try to sleep, just remind yourself that you defended Pennsylvania.

No, he's right. There's no way I'd pay to go anywhere in PA

John's Roast Pork in South Philadelphia is a real "locals only" kind of place. Don't be on your cell phone when you order and enjoy your meal out on the sidewalk. Don't be intimidated by the neighborhood, it's just old school blue collar families.

that looks delish

You reek of desperation

No, he's right. There's no way I'd pay to go anywhere in PA

Jim's.

See . Your attention-whore posts grow increasingly pathetic and cringeworthy.

Jims is ok but not in center city. Half the recommendations in this thread aren't in center city. The reading terminal people are right though, you should definitely make a trip. Go late in the week when the Amish are there.

Sarcones is a baker. So you might get a hoagie on their roll, but they won't be making you a sandwich

You reek of desperation

OK

Seconded. Seriously delicious roast pork, especially after a nice IKEA trip.

If you have a welfare palate

Anyone from Philly would sooner eat roadkill. That place is also not in center city

>dont like a state

>jumps to suicide

You should get those negative thoughts off your mind and kill yourself

Sonnys Famous Steaks

Also Reading Terminal may be the greatest place on earth

Theres an Amish lady that sells pork sandwiches with hot sauce its so fucking good its over by amish bakery area

Go to Pal Joey's in south Jersey. Best hoagie you'll ever have. It's a less than half hour ride from the city.

OP here. Thanks for all the good feedback so far ck!

Turns out I'll be within walking distance from the reading terminal, so I'll have to make that my first (possibly several) stop.

That roast pork sammich looks tasty as hell...

Sonnys is a good representation of a proper steak in philly.

Which hotel?

Sylvio's Deli in Hatboro for hoagies and Max's Steaks in N. Philly for cheesesteaks

Seconded. I love me a Diablo, especially when coming out of a nice Target trip.

That sammy looks so fucking amazing.

This is pretty cool good looking out user

Hoagie is slang for fat piece of shit