Veeky Forumsizen here asking for help

Veeky Forumsizen here asking for help
How do I make this shit delicious in larger quantities wihout smothering it in butter and salt? I like the top part, but the stalk is inedible for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/q_Xumb49ffQ
youtube.com/watch?v=dPGke_I7hpk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

broccoli cream soup

don't buy old broccoli

>pretending salt and butter are bad for you
I bet you cook with canola oil

>Veeky Forumsizen here

I don't need your biography you fucking goon

steam it in bone broth

Roast it. Here is a simple recipe, though I do it without the sugar.

youtu.be/q_Xumb49ffQ

skin the stems like peeling a carrot before steaming. the stalk is literally the best part but the skin is tough.

also, dip broccoli in ketchup. hand to god, shit is amazing

Steaming renders the stalk, including skin, to be tasty as hell.

white sauce. just use a lower fat cheese. if you want cheese sauce.

just blanch it

I cut it up, pour some olive oil on it, salt pepper, light breadcrumb and put it in the oven on 375 for 30 mins

I prefer to eat it raw. Just chop it and use it as a salad. You have to remove the under part of the stalk anyway because it's hard and stringy.

You could also blanch it, add some salt, nutmeg and pepper and use it as garnish.

Steaming is good, then serve with a vinaigrette. Don't overdo the vinaigrette.

OTOH, one of the nicest ways I know is in a salad with couscous, smoked mackerel, chopped fruit, nuts and herbs. Tasty tasty, but that's a whole-meal type salad.

>dip broccoli in ketchup

I do stir fried noodles with broccoli. Just cut up the brocoli into bite sized pieces, quickly pan fry the on some garlic and green onions like you would do with meat, add eggs and noodles and soy sauce. Fast and easy. You can add chicken or whatever meat, tofu, other veggies or whatever you have.

the first part of this is correct, the second part is disgusting

Like all bitter veg, they're best with a dip or sauce. I use hoisin or hummus.

Broccoli is delicious raw. I don't understand the mentality that it must be 'made' delicious.

how do you steam IN bone broth?

What I've been doing is chopping the stalks into ~3m pieces and "sweating" them like onions in some oil and salt for a bit before putting them in other dishes. It seems to be working for me.

Mixing bowl
Olive oil in
florets and garlic
toss
Hot oven (>400F)
spread in cast iron skillet
skillet in for 15 minutes
toss
return for 10 or so minutes
plate
dress with lemon or favorite vinaigrette.
roast broccoli finished.

Stick it up your ass you fucking faggots.

I add a little chicken base (like 1 tsp per 16ish oz) to the water I boil it in. When it's done, put a little extra sharp cheddar on top. Make sure you use a good quality cheese, from a brick, not pre-shredded. I've always thought the bricks taste so much better. A little goes a long way! Doing this, I got my dad to eat a whole serving and even came back for seconds! If you knew him, you'd know that's along the lines of witnessing a zombie break out of the ground and then blasting off to outer space lol

I get a pot of water boiling. Add the stalks (not heads) and wait until it starts boiling again. Set timer for 2 minutes. Then add heads, wait until boiling again and then start timer 5 minutes. Strain and rinse in cold water to stop cooking. The stalks usually turn out almost as tender as the heads, even without peeling.

garlic, lemon, parmesan

I have some pretty strong burners but Big-Pot-Blanching still doesn't work at home. It takes a good 5 minutes to get the boil back.

>Big-Pot-Blanching
How much are you making at one time? lol

I use a (I think) 5 quart sauce pan and that makes enough for 2 no problem. I can even get 4 servings out of it, but it's kinda tight.

The stalk roasts up quite nice, actually. I almost prefer the roasted stalks to roasted florets.
However, if you're not into roasting them, you can save the stalks and make broccoli soup. It's easy to make a creamy broccoli puree soup without adding a ton of fat and salt. Just peel the stalks and chop, then simmer in good chicken stock until tender, along with some shallot or onion. Puree in a blender with some herbs of your choice (chives and parsley are good), and add back to the pot. Bring it back to a low simmer and add just enough canned evaporated milk (to keep it low fat) to make it creamy and luscious. Simmer for 5 minutes on low, taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. This is a great on the go soup, you can put it in a thermos and drink it wherever you are, or have a bowl of it in addition to a grilled chicken salad or a sandwich.

Big pot blanching is a restaurant technique for cooking green veggies without losing color. I use a sitram 11qt filled with with at least a gallon of water. Usually toss in a couple of handfuls of green beans and it still takes a long time to come back to a boil. Too long to be considered blanching. I guess I could add a handfull at a time and wait, but it seems I would be waiting a while between batches.

Chicken broth + soy sauce + honey in a cup; stir

Put Broccoli in frying pan; add some garlic; pour in this liquid mixture, stir fry

Result should be fried broccoli with a slightly sweet flavour that entirely covers up that gross broccoli taste. Almost like the kind you get at a Chinese restaurant.

Bake it in a seasoned whole grain batter, coat with peanut butter hot sauce, bake some more. Or just steam it. I eat it by the pound that way. If it's frozen, It's often flash pasteurized before freezing, which prevents formation of the antioxidant sulforaphane. The precursor and product are heat stable, but an enzyme involved is not. You can replenish that enzyme with some ground mustard and then sulforaphane will form in your stomach. Fresh broccoli should be chopped or whatever several minutes before cooking so the reaction can happen.
:^)

He says done not finished usually

Salt, pepper, bit more salt, olive oil, fuck load of garlic. Mix that shit all over the brocc and bake it until it's golden brown. Eat like potato chips.

why such a large pot? the way I described is similar to blanching (if not actually blanching) and I find it works well for home (4 servings or less). imo the colors look nice, too. maybe not *the best* colors but still edible. ...at least for broccoli.

I just checked my pan size, btw. it's 2.5 quarts

other Veeky Forumsizen here
my diet got a lot easier when I quit trying to make broccoli taste good. spinach has better macros anyway, and green beans are about as good. Broccoli is a meme

>Veeky Forumsizen here

Cringe.

Just fucken eat it you child

>dip broccoli in ketchup
kys

Stir-frys and pasta are good cause they get covered in the sauce. Cook it in the microwave i reckon cause it take 3 minutes only

Macros?

Coming here with your weird terminology

i didn't think this far user

Steamed with salt, it doesn't need anything else

These... I eat it raw with ranch too but when I'm making it with a meal -
olive oil, salt, pepper, stick it in the oven until a little crispy on the edges. Simple and delicious.

>family rents double cabin for week
>Wisconsin uncle and his Wisconsin wife are there
>she's an annoying busybody
>boils all the fresh broccoli without asking anyone
>because she wasn't aware people eat it any other way

cook some penne together with broccoli, mix in parmesan and sun-dried tomatoes

shut up and eat it

i use the stalks in a veggy mash. carrot, sweet potato, cauliflower and broccoli stalks all boiled up and mashed together with a little bit of milk and a a little fried diced onion. doesn't even need butter and tastes really good.

I love mash, will have to try this

>why such a large pot?
Thomas Keller can tell you better than I can.
For whatever reason, he is using a small pot here, but says he uses a big pot.

youtube.com/watch?v=dPGke_I7hpk