Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums,
I recently got into cooking now I know and you know that working with a sharp knife is very important. So I ask you what the best way to sharpen a knife for beginners and what tools do I need?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/Best-Sellers-Home-Kitchen-Knife-Sharpeners/zgbs/kitchen/6647486011
youtu.be/aa2phl7dUEk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sand paper and microscope

Those knife sharpeners you just drag the blade through do an ok job.

amazon.ca/Best-Sellers-Home-Kitchen-Knife-Sharpeners/zgbs/kitchen/6647486011

my rock hard diamond dick

A good whetstone and practice. The material of the stone is going to be about preference. I personally like Arkansas granite but like dmt diamond for how fast it can remove metal.

Really it is about practice though. Consistency is the most important factor in your edge profile.

I would also recommend you get some jewlers rouge and a leather strop.

Can I fuck my knife up hard if I do it the wrong way while practicing?
I already bought a cheap knife off ebay to practize sharpening it.
Also what do you think about pic related, the dude I bring to to sharpen my knifes told me that resharpening my knife with this tool would also do the trick.
Thanks but I wanna learn it theold fashioned way as mastering that is both impressive and better for the knife.

PC ate my pic here it is

This is a good system to learn the basics.
The angle guides are interchangeable and the stone pivots to get you used to the curvature of the blade.

Thanks for the input do you have a name for me as reverse image search only nets me "hardware"

Yeah, sorry it's a pic I took.
Search for Work Sharp Guided System.

thanks I will look into it!

>Can I fuck my knife up hard if I do it the wrong way while practicing?

You could but it would be hard to. I would suggest looking at some cheap high carbon steel knives to practice on. It is less of a matter of having a perfect 17.5 degree edge(or whatever you are aiming for) and more of a matter of being able to replicate the same edge angle with every pass across the stone.

Buy good stones
For a chefs knife i reccomend an 800 and a 1200, a 400 if you need to rebevel it
I own a 3000 and an 8000 as well but thats simply because i like mirror edges

Practice on cheap knives, or older dull knives already damaged
If done correctly you shouldnt have to sharpen them more than once or twice a year, and instead just hone and strop them.
I wouldnt practice on a knife over $50 at first though. While someone like me can fix it easily, fixing your own mistakes takes time and experience

Also anything electric or pull through, has one use alone, mass beveling. Do not consider that a sharpened edge.

And i think this is obvious but
Once you get the edge on the knives- dont wash them in the dishwasher
And store them carefully as well
Any other questions, ask away.

I just use the bottom ring of a ceramic plate

This kills the knife ;-;
Im autistic about my knufe edges though

Yeah I bought some cheap KIWI brand knives to practice on, I'll think I'll go with stones gonna ask my japanese friend to teach me.

>gonna ask my japanese friend to teach me.
What?

Stones are an investment btw
As youre new, go with burr based sharpening
Its easier than other methods and still good

it's okay for beveling. sharpening, not so much

If I was you I would look for some old school hickory brand knives. I know people that have had them for 30 plus years now - all discolored, cracked handles - and still are hair popping sharp. They have used them in their daily kitchen tasks and game processing for decades.

what about this one with three "stages"?

Less shit but still inferior to stones as far as quality edges.
Itll remove way too much material as well as giving an inferior edge

i was thinking of getting one to use on cheapish knives i have because i can't be assed with stones or better knives

What said. It is way too easy to screw up a knife with something like that. Ill run a machete/work kukri through some fast grinding wheel sharpeners only because I am going to use it to remove brush. Even a cheap kitchen knife shouldn't be abused by one these glorified electric can opener sharpeners.

I'd implore you to learn to use stones, its worth it for a quality edge. Years of using electrical sharpeners will wear down knives way faster. Id reccomend good stones and good knives to save you money and time long term
youtu.be/aa2phl7dUEk

>on a kukri
Why must you hurt me this way
A kukri blade in one of those seems god awful

But my kukri is an HI so that would be blasphemy to do so