Knives

Post knives. Talk about them. Ask questions.

Why are most chef's knives curved downward at the spine, instead of a straight spine? Also, does anyone else find most damascus ugly as fuck?

Other urls found in this thread:

zwillingonline.com/34941263.html
youtube.com/watch?v=x9GzpSei6u0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>curved downward at the spine, instead of a straight spine?

Balance

>>damascus ugly as fuck
I don't find it ugly per se, but it's rarely appealing to me either. I see it as unnecessary fluff that drives up the price of the knife but has no impact whatsoever on its use. I don't collect knives that need to look pretty in a display case, I cook with them. I don't care what they look like, I care how they preform.

Everybody knows this is the superior knife.

Why can't I find kitchen knives with this kind of ~°*AESTHETIC*°~?

because children don't cook

Don't be a nigger.

I wouldn't say it's ugly, but it's pretty annoying usually in my opinion. I mean I definitely wouldn't get any damascus myself.

What do you guys think of carbon steel? I use it entirely because I think it looks cool.

I have this knife
zwillingonline.com/34941263.html

Sharp as fuck desu

Got this Victorinox a few days ago and I love it!

Thick and heavy, nicely crafted rosewood handle. Got joy from just holding it and messing around when it came.

I like it, most of my knives are carbon steel. I will gladly put up with a little bit of extra care in exchange for better edge retention and ease of sharpening.

I'm a year into my apprenticeship under an executive Chef in a catering business. I want a 12 inch or 30.50~cm Chef Knife.
Any recommendations in the 100-300USD range?
Any preferred websites that you shop from?

I just bought a Tojiro Shirogami. It's p cool, high quality carbon steel knife for 90 bucks. They also have stainless with western handles.

How are the miyabi series knives?

Has anyone ever tried some of those dirt cheap whetstones sold on aliexpress? F.e. Yijian/ADAEE?

Anyone know a good place to get a knife for under $50? I'm poor and casual but this piece of shit I got from target is getting gnarly.

This is probably my favourite knife. I've had it for a few years.
Sharpens quite nicely, and it's oversized at 11" which I really like. Reactive as fuck though.

inb4 >I think that might be rusted user!
It's not.

Victorinox on Amazon, it's pretty much the best you can get on a budget desu.

The only thing I like about shun is their handles.

Mercer and dexter is what pro cooks use. Cheap and stay sharp

Does global have a deal with Munchies? Because I see their knives in a pretty startling majority of their videos. Ugliest knives ever made by the way.

like shun they stay razor sharp if you take care of them

Looks cool? Silver like every other knife? I don't understand

Patina. Carbon steel knives do not look the same as stainless knives.

You guys are weird. Why do you buy these elaborate Japanese knives? like there aren't good standard western knives that do the same thing.

Its ugly, and is simply appearance, as true damascus is a lost art.

i've always wanted one of them

yours is the weird question
if they are equivalent in utility, why not go for aesthetics?

Global

>Ugliest knives ever made by the way.
This
They're like knives designed by the european union

Try the Wüsthof SilverPoint series, they are pretty nice for their price. Better than the Victorinox IMHO.

Also try out ebay, I have bought some really nice lightly used name brand knives off ebay.

Because aesthetics cost more. And that's assuming you actually like the particular aesthetic in the first place.

What's the best technique to sharpen your knives Veeky Forums ?
All my blades are as sharp as a 2x4 and I'm poor as dirt

A steel or ceramic rod for maintenance.

Whetstone for when the knife is actually dull.

My Shimo petty has fucking 0 edge retention.

I prefer my Toyama Noborikoi knives.

I don't really experience poor edge retention, so that's unfortunate to hear.

>why do people like buying nice things

I use Kyocera ceramic knives in addition to my Shun Classics. I'm going to discuss the ceramic knives because there's a lot of bullshit floating around about them.

They work out well for me because I use them gently. The hard edge lasts about 10x longer than steel and that's a conservative estimate.

I sharpened them once myself with my DMT Dia-sharp stones, which was a long and annoying process, because the courser grits would fracture and chip the edge rather than hone the edge. Due to the hardness only a few sharpening mediums can get the job done (diamond, cubic boron nitride, silicon carbide sandpaper) They really call for a high-RPM/fine grit power sharpening when they do get dull. They are perfectly dishwasher safe, as the ceramic blade and plastic handle are impervious to moisture and detergents as long as you make sure to segregate them from other objects well. Letting them bang against other objects will chip them.

If you are cutting meat and you hit bone, will ceramic fracture?

The bartenders at my work fractured ceramic knives cutting lemons and limes.

Whatever you get, please invest in some tools to take care of it. Good cutlery relies on maintenance, no matter what brand or price point.

Sounds cool. What have you learned? I'm a chef at a place that does a lot of catering. We have so many problems I wish I knew how to solve.

I don't think balance is the answer. Elaborate please.

I used to want this exact knife. $200 price tag turned me off though. Got a shibazi "cleaver" (it's really a chef's knife) for $30 instead and it is the single best thing in my kit.

I got a good japanese chefs knife which I mainly use. Nothing too special just made outta good ol steel and really solid, it also has a good weight.
And I got some more KIWI brand cheapo knifes off ebay in order to learn sharpening my knife without fucking it up.
They are made out of pretty cheap metal, no weight behind them, atleast they are razor sharp but I guess the'll dull in 4 weeks and thats when I start learning how to sharpen.
Also that peeler there aint mine looks like my roommates.

Forgot pic

Apprentice user here.

In so far as culinary knowledge, I went from very minimal home cooking/baking to working on being a Sous Chef. If I had to put a number on it, it'd be going from 10 to 30 out of 100.

My workplace has a lot of problems as well. If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them as best I can. Most of our issues have to do with relying on unreliable people. We're in a low-population area, so fixing that is surprisingly challenging alongside the fact that my Chef does not like to fire anyone.

Coming up January 6th, we're going to be expanding into a new facility that's more than double our current kitchen/dining areas size. With it, we're going to triple in business but be forced to operate it with our current staffing of 10-11 people until sometime next fall. It's going to be a shit show.

Fuck you Daesh Al-Nusra motherfuck

Damascus is a beautiful city, seat of the RIGHTFUL Syrian government!! You damn Turkish Jew fuck off back to CIA! The army of the Republic will defeat you, with help from honorable Putin and other allies! Syrian Army is resurgent!

may i ask why your knives are above your door frame?

They are above the window next to the sink, had no other place for them.

You need to upgrade those scissors

I got better ones but the smalkl ons fit on the magnet

How much does that cost?
Looks solid for frozen meat

One more thing I will say, leaving knives with plastic handles in direct sunlight I heard the radiation from the sun destroys that plastic over time. Probably true with wood handles to a degree too. I'd get that set in a drawer if your a real knife nut.

Anyone cooking with Chinese Chef knives?
Are they good?
Better or worse than the typical chefs knife?

Yes
Yes
Neither, they are different. Chinese knife is better for veggies, not as good for meat or for delicate work.

A Chinese chef knife and a western cleaver are vastly different tools. No comparisons.

That said, I've heard good things. But I've yet to run into a situation where it seems to gave any niche for me.

If I had money to burn I'd get one and learn to use it. Just as a hobby and new skill

My bad I misread your post. Forget I brought up Western cleavers user

he's right though.

what kind of fucking dipshit adult buys a chefs knife with ed and black tigers and dragons engraves on it

I'll literally do a fresh edge with a whole stone progression ending with a nice polished, but not too polished edge, and the fucking thing will already have lost all bite after two onions.

In all of the knives I've used and owned (30+ most handmade japanese) my Shimo petty had the worst edge retention. Glad to hear it's a fluke though.

I love them for prepping lots of vegetables. They can't do a lot of things western chef's or gyuto/etc can do, but they excel at slicing, julienning, dicing and such when you learn how to use them effectively. I typically just buy kiwis every so often, but I'm currently having my friend's dad convert an old poultry cleaver to a vegetable cleaver for me. Hope it turns out well.

My 3 main knives

6 in shun
8 in mijabi
8 in Bob Kramer

That Shun profile gave me arthritis.

Eh its nice for detail work and a back up for when my 8 inches are in need of a sharpening. Not much else though.

Fuck your mall ninja shit. That's got no place in a kitchen.

ashens is that you?

>molecular sharpness

How is that Kramer, thats Kramer by Zwiling right? I want it for years but can't force myself to part with the cash. And I kind want carbon steel one, not damascus.

Cleavers are rad

youtube.com/watch?v=x9GzpSei6u0

Yeah its that one...and i cant compmain i put in about 80 avg. Hours a week with it. My boss has the carbon steel one mone is lighter and more agile my bosses is more for heavy duty slicing. Both will do either jist fine but that just the off the bat impression i got

WHAT IS THIS? WHERE DO I GET THIS?

That is a beautiful beautiful knife.

Found the market for overpriced mirrion foldu 'damascus' meme knifes.

Masakage shimo. The knife is extremely reactive, as in it'll rust if you look at it funny. In all other respects, I've really enjoyed it though.
Patina took over a year, at multiple hours a day, to form like that though.

Is it worth it to send them back for resharpening?

Here's a question: is your catering menu fixed or does your company allow clients to make shit up? Our sales team likes to promise people things that we've never even made before which means we have limited time to develop a product that doesn't suck. It's annoying and stressful af. Coming up with consistent recipes and accurate costs is nearly impossible.

Yes and no on that one. We have two catering managers assigned to our location. One who is on location with our staff, and another who's an hour away at another location. Both of them will help customers build menus, one is a chef and one isn't. The one who is not a Chef will sell customers on items that they want, this being based on what any of our locations have served in the past or put on the menu. The catering manager that is a Chef, however, will sell customers menu items that they've conjured up in their head as a way of enticing the customer, whether or not there's been any effort put into developing this product.

Most often this is dessert items and pastries which end up coming last minute, and are as you stated "annoying and stressfull af."

What whetstones lads?
I'm a fucking faggot who has time to sharpen the two knives I use, but I've got no fucking idea what to start with

Buy a combo water stone, one side about 400-600 grit, the other side around 1000-1500 grit. Best spend some more money on a large 8'' stone insted of a medium 6'' stone. If you want to go all out with the sharpness buy a 3000-5000 grit stone too.

>thick, heavy, quality wood
Yeah sounds like you've got all you need :^)

>By RONCO

Actually they're by Twin Towers Trading ltd. Seriously.