Ask a bartender anything

Ask a bartender anything.

For reference, my background in this industry is a high volume craft cocktail bar where we cut out own ice for some cocktails (we also used crushed, Kold Draft, and Collins Spears from Cocktail Kingdom molds). Current gig is a hotel bar with less resources as it doubles as a restaurant, but the selection of spirits is on par with the other joint sans amaros. I also prefer drinking at dive bars off duty since I'm a bar hopper.

Other urls found in this thread:

luckypeach.com/the-science-of-chilling-a-drink/
youtube.com/watch?v=aSg-Fk_WADE
expbar.ca/menu#target_2
cocktailkingdom.com/books
kold-draft.com/
gwarbar.com/shop/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what's your favorite drink that people never ask you to make?
also how do I get a job as a bartender?

>cut our own ice

What a meaningless gesture that has no effect on the flavour of the drink at all. Please kill your manager

but it can make a $9 drink sell for $22

Dude, awesome. Yeah hi, user, huge cu/ck/ here wanting to get into bartending actually. I have my own bottles of each main spirit and a few flavorings, fruits, a book, etc.

What I MUST know is, the process for getting a bartending license, and how you get into the bartending groove before ever even getting the job I need the advanced basics.

I dont want to be another student out of work, faking ability for a chance at fucking up and losing credentials and reference. I want to do this RIGHT the first time.

>Also, whats your favorite drink? And favorite drink to make?

Favorite drink? Probably a Rusty Nail. Many people who drink scotch prefer it neat or on ice so the idea of using it in a cocktail is blasphemy. Laphroig 10 is my favorite to use, the almost iodine punk from its peaty quality makes an interesting mesh with the Drambuie's herbal and honey sweetness. Blended Scotch is usually on the sweeter side, so I find using that in the cocktail makes it overly sweet.

To become a bartender? Ehh, I lucked out in my path as I was recommended by an old friend who knew I really wanted to become one. Unless you have experience at the job, most people will not give your application / resume a second look. So the best method to get your foot in the door is to apply at an entry level position then work your way up, which requires patience. Started as a barback at my first job, which having no experience aside from being a cocktail geek at home and a bar hopper it was a great way to see the background processes of a bar. Many guests take for granted what it must be like to be on the opposite side of the bar. It requires not only knowledge of the products but charisma and teamwork. If you can't show you are able to work as a team and understand that's what help makes guests service fantastic, you will never land a job in that line of work (or last long if ya luck out).

Ehhhhh it's a garnish in itself. Had plenty of guests ask about it when I brought it out to them and so I could tell them about it. The idea is how dense the ice is. Being crystal clear, as it melts you will not have to worry about the potential of overdilution since there are no pockets of air that will lead to increased surface area of the ice over time.

If you live in a place that requires a bartending license, by all means go for it. If not, many places see it as a detriment. North Carolina does not requires it and the schools are scams that let you play with color water while memorizing shitty mnemonic devices for two weeks. Can you show me what you have for your home bar? Might be able to give ya better pointers based on what you have.

Let me prep this pizza real fast and pop it in the oven. Then ill get a picture for you.

Veeky Forums here, ice that isn't melting and diluting your drink isn't cooling your drink either.

Yeah, I am aware of the relationship of dilution and chilling. Goes hand in hand. It's more like comparing it to crushed ice that is going to melt within a few minutes when having a spirit served neat poured into it. Which is why I said OVERdilution instead of just dilution.

The main instances of rock ice being used where I was was when it was already chilled (shaken with Kold Draft cubes) to help maintain it. I could totally be wrong on the maintaining part, but generally it is already chilled prior to being poured over said ice.

As a Veeky Forums poster, if you enjoy drinking check out this book. It's super neat.

Mad respect, I tried to get into bartending but I just couldn't get a gig anywhere. I'm in a state that doesn't require a license and I kept working at places as a server trying to move into bar and applying for bar jobs but nada. I've since switched careers but I daydream a little bit when I see any ad for a bartending job.

Sounds like you work in a pretty cool place and have some actual skills; where did you start out? What did you do to go from "I mix drinks at a college bar" to "craft cocktail making"?

Define cold...

Both places I worked at were craft cocktail bars. Well, the latter (where I am now) is trying to get there but being part of a restaurant is very tough to carve out that kind of identity.

I have barhopped for many years and became friends with a fair amount of bartenders and lucked out with my first job at a bar (never tended there, just barback and server). The area I live in has cultivated a decent craft scene over the years. Seeing it grow first hand was fucking amazing since it was starting just as I hit 21 so I got to see many bartenders I respect deeply grow into their skill sets.

But yeah I was just super fucking lucky.

OP here, take a look at this link. Veeky Forums poster has a very strong point. Unless you're putting shit in the fridge or freezer ice will have to be introduced to lower the temperature in any way.
luckypeach.com/the-science-of-chilling-a-drink/

OP again, off topic but that looks pretty good.

That's Mead and Absinthe lying on the cutting board next to the limes, oranges, and lemon.
The back four from left to right are; Caffe Lolita (coffee liquor [Kahlua]), Brandy (VS), Tequila, Vodka
Then we got Cognac, Amaretto, and Gin
Then there's Tonic Water, Banana Liquor, Chocolate Liquor, and Rum.
Next is Irish Creme, Jagermeister, Vermouth, Triple Sec, and Grenadine.

In the picture on the right we have lemon and lime juice. We have sugar syrup (yeah I could have made my own, that's what that bottle is for next to the Absinthe in the left picture) and cherries. Of course, there's your bitters, angostura. Blue curacao, Sour Pucker Apple (regretful purchase), Creme de Menthe, and Peach Schnapps.

In the back there is my jigger and shaker. You also can't see my swizzle stick.

Is this good advice?

youtube.com/watch?v=aSg-Fk_WADE

And check em'

Yeah, otherwise you come off as a massive douchebag.

You're off to a decent start figuring things out. Now what would you say you make most from that setup? If you want to get started on learning about spirits check out The Joy of Mixology, Imbibe!, and for a recipe book Mr. Boston's Bartending Guide.

There is an educational program called BarSmarts which I was able to take for free from work, which breaks down booze from its inception to various distillation processes to the differences between spirits. I think it's $30 but the knowledge is invaluable.

I've heard about and researched that Mr. Boston's Bartending Guide but I haven't heard of the other. I have pic related.

I really enjoy the Toasted Almond. Taste wise, I love chocolatey, toasted, dark, milky, coffee, spiced drinks. So those related drinks. I really want to get into mixing this Tequila though. I've made a Tequila Sunrise, but added ounces of grenadine instead of tablespoons, tasted alright nonetheless. I've got some whipped cream at the moment so I'll be utilizing that.

And there are a lot of in Gin based drinks I'd like to plan on mixing. Same with the vodka. I've got a shit fuck ton of vermouth and triple sec than I can imagine actually using every bit of. And the blue curacao will be weird to use after I make a successful Pousse Cafe.

I forgot to mention that there's some Johnnie Walker Black Label in that box, and a hidden 1.75 liter bottle of moonshine behind my chair. I drank all my bourbon whiskey so I'll have to get that when I can.

Owning this book makes me realize that it's just a big 500+ page advertisement for a world of liquor and booze. Like why the fuck do I need Southern Comfort for like 3 drinks I've never met a person to even know about? I don't know. And I've yet to even come across some ginger beer while shopping, ever.

What is your favorit Beer on tap. And not on tap.

Mine is Newcastle on tap and Dead Pony Club inn can or bottle

>putting ice in a centrifuge
gotta try it all I guess. so what's the perfect kind of ice to use concerning the fundamental law of traditional cocktails when shaking and when stirring?

Ever see gwar live? Like before David brockies addiction began to affect his performance?

LEL. That David. I wanna see them Live them. Not faggot OP btw

Saw em like 10 times and the last 2 were kinda shit. I could tell something was wrong but I didn't realize what it was until after he died.

Do you see yourself ever having a real job?

how do i make a good frothy whiskey sour easily?

this article is shit and not scientific at all. I got sick of reading it because they keep fucking switching around units like idiots

Lets test your bartending skills. Can you decipter the nerd cocktails and translate them to ordinary cocktails.

expbar.ca/menu#target_2

I've heard that a lot of men and women start to pour out their darkest secrets when they're drunk. Is this true?
Do bartender's get pussy out the wazoo?

Haha yeah you'll find that in a ton of bartender guides. Half the time it feels like many publishers are just trying to stuff as many drinks into a book as possible. Cocktail Kingdom has some fuckin' nice books to order, though you can get most of them cheaper from other sources. But I would start with Imbibe mostly to get an idea of the history behind mixed drinks, Wondrich is a hell of a historian.
cocktailkingdom.com/books

Since you have vermouth, unless you use that shit super quickly I would only suggest buying half-sized bottles if possible. It spoils somewhat quickly after opening leading to an oxidized flavor, so whenever I buy a bottle I use a wine stopper with a pump that sucks out all air in the bottle and keep it stored in the back of my fridge. Makes a world of difference.

Seasonal stouts / porters. There are some in my area that use coffee and cocoa nibs and that shit is delicious.

If it's from the can or bottle I keep it simple with a macro brew. Yuengling or Rolling Rock are go-to shit.

kold-draft.com/
This is the best of both worlds from my own experience. I can't recall the name of the machine that creates ice blocks for the carved stuff I mentioned earlier, but it simulates the way ice forms in rivers resulting in a (mostly) crystal clear block. Those are great for serving something on the rock or an Old Fashioned. Because of storage space, labor, and volume of the bar it would have been way too impractical for use to solely use that for shaken / stirred drinks. But KD is the shit.

First time I had seen them was during their Lust in Space tour when the album was new. Had seen them about four times total, last one being Brokie's final appearance at GWARBQ. That mug was a birthday gift from a friend when we went to Richmond to check out a show (Unknown Hinson) and having been big fans of the band we of course had to check out GWAR BAR. For such a tiny dive the place has awesome food and surprisingly enough carries Fernet Branca.

Depends on what you'd consider a real job.

When putting an egg white into any cocktail a dry shake (without ice) is an absolute must. Think of your arms acting like a piston in a motor, quickly and efficiently shaking the shaker back and forth to emulsify the mixture effectively before adding ice for a second shake.

Uhh I can do a few? Some of these are totally riffs on other cocktails which is pretty common. No idea how these are served so I'm taking some guesses as well.
Beedrill - Bee's Knees
Caeser's Legion - Bloody Caesar
The King's Fall - Old Fashioned
Gotham - Manhatten
Skyfallen - Vesper
Any of the shots are beyond me. I was never a fan nor was I trained on that shit, so any inspiration is beyond me.

It is. I hate to gossip about guests so I keep such secrets to myself. And while I get hit on at work often I'm a representative of where I work, so acting on that (especially when guests are drunk) is not only disrespectful to them but to my employers. I know some bartenders get on that and I find it sleazy as hell.

Do you hang out at bars when you're not working?

What's are the best cities you've been to so far for nightlife?

What does a gin and tonic taste like? I hear they're good despite both gin and tonic being gross by themselves.

Absolutely. Bar staff makes for an interesting community, though many parts of it are really fucking party-centric. Getting fucked one by one way or another. There are a handful of bars that I go to, though one really shitty dive bar on the way home I tend to stop in for a quick shot and beer (normally well whiskey and draft PBR) to unwind.

I don't travel much, so I can't give a good answer on that.

Gin and Tonic is a delightful drink, though it greatly depends on what is being used. Beefeater and Fever Tree is a good combo. Squeeze of lime juice helps out quite a bit as well.

Oh and I never answered one user's question about Ginger Beer. Many supermarkets sell them in their soft drink section if they carry glass bottles, if not there they can sometimes be found by the cocktail mixers.

I love dive bars, although what constitutes a dive bar exactly is unclear.

It seems like every place that is not a bottle service club or upscale cocktail lounge is considered a dive bar.

I love going to bars in general, hanging out in my friend's house or in a park and drinking beers is better than nothing but it's so boring to me now. I always have fun at bars, trying out new drinks is fun as well as meeting new people, plus I find the ambiance comforting.

Unfortunately, when my friends do wanna go out we usually end up going to this shitty dudebro place.

If you ever come to New York I think you'll enjoy the selection of bars we have.

Your definition is not far off. Basically any low key joint that doesn't take itself seriously at all and the drinks are inexpensive.

NY sounds fucking nice. Dying to check out The Dead Rabbit, Death and Co., and PDT whenever I have the scratch to venture that way for a weekend.

Huh?

Sadly I haven't found many dive bars with really cheap drinks yet, it just seems like normal bar prices almost everywhere I go. In New York at least.

When I went to Philly, the drinks were much cheaper in comparison.

In New York, I personally really like this place called Pianos, but only on off nights. It has just the right amount of people on weeknights (packed but no line to get in and plenty of room to move around).

I'm too poor to go to upscale cocktail lounges unfortunately, but if I get a better job I'll check out the places you listed. There's a popular upscale cocktail place in New York called Raine's Law Room that I've heard good things about.

Also, last call in NY is 4AM every day, where is it where you live?

What are the patterns of business like where you work, and at bars in general? Kind of dead Monday thru Wednesday, lively on Friday and Saturday, with Thursday and Sunday in between?

Badaboom baby! I keep this on deck for such occassions. These shots aren't too complicated (if you can layer and ignite you got it all I guess). Most take on liquors and creams, flavors more so than spirit on top of spirit. And I liked the ones I tried for sure. And I can almost guarantee that MANY others would, and do, love this stuff.

>tl;dr
>they're a hit

Omg I'm going to go make some egg drops rice and chopped peppers and chicken. Fuhuck yeah dood.

So I'd like to make an enormous batch of mai tai and keep it in my fridge in a dispenser to I can just down a glass whenever.

What would be the best way to go about this?

Yei bb

I am always welcome to suggestions on bars. Live in the South, so last call is 2AM here. These ABC laws are a pain in the ass.

Thursday through Saturday are the busier nights, fortunately I tend to always work those which is always lucrative. Sundays and Mondays are consistently the slowest times in this area so many of us in the community refer to them as 'Service weekends' since most guests are fellow bartenders.

Saved, much appreciated.

Ehh, so long as you know the scaled amount of non-citrus ingredients you can store that part pretty much indefinitely. Keep citrus juices stored separately so you can add it in at any time, otherwise the mixture will spoil after a few days.

2AM is last call in most of the country. Notable exceptions include Louisiana, New York, Nevada, and others. I would hate a 2AM last call, I love that I can leave my house at 11 and still have a full night.

I'm surprised Sunday is among the slowest, where I live it's definitely busier than Monday thru Wednesday.

I'm not sure why Thursdays are a popular night for going out now, since most people work on Friday.

Read a timeline of a typical day at Death and Co. in NY and the 4AM last call surprised the fuck out of me. The friend I went to GWAR BAR with is living in Japan and their drinking culture is fuckin' nice. Casual weeb here but that has me inclined to venture that way at some point.

I figure Sunday is more towards people with office jobs not wanting to get too rowdy or recovering from Saturday night drinking, though brunch is always popular. Being able to legally serve after noon has resulted in some awkward conversations with people twice my age wanting Mimosas, as if they had never encountered that.

Thursday is weird for me too. Not sure if I'll ever understand that pattern.

Also, live in the South. It varies by city/county. Most around me have last call at 3am.

>I'm surprised Sunday is among the slowest

He is in the South. Not a lot of night life on Sundays most places down here.

>I'm not sure why Thursdays are a popular night for going out now, since most people work on Friday.

IME its because a lot of college students don't have class on Fridays.

How did you like GWAR BAR? Seems pretty cool. Japan would probably be cool, but the language barrier imo would prevent me from being able to fully enjoy their nightlife.
Where in the South do you live?

Yeah it could be the college thing, and the fact that if you do get too messed up, you only have one day ff work before you're off.

And of course some people are off Fridays.

Where I live, Sundays are more lively than a Monday but generally not as lively as Friday and Saturday. Although there is a place by me that's pretty busy on Sunday.

Some bars in NYC are surprisingly busy even Monday thru Wednesday.

Students not having class on Fridays never dawned on me. That's likely it.

Oh dude, GWAR BAR was fuckin' dope. Food is surprisingly great and the cocktails were decent while keeping that tongue-in-cheek nature of the band itself. The tiki mug came with a free tiki drink but I was too blitzed to remember how it was. I always remember when a bar stocks Fernet Branca since it is such a popular shooter among bartenders. Even had my favorite bourbon, Wild Turkey 101 (for nostalgic reasons over flavor). Look up clips of Kazuo Uyeda and Hidetsugu Ueno if you wanna see how the bartenders there work. From what my friend implied the language barrier isn't too bad.

Live in North Carolina near a college, though where I live we don't get many guests that are students.

That's cool, nothing like a place that's both fun and has good drinks. Part of what makes going to bars so interesting is the varying themes they have.

I feel like making a list of all the bars I go to in NYC and making a best of.

Oh and I'll be sure to check that out. I'm sure many people there can speak some English, but usually not to to the point of having a meaningful conversation.

I kinda doubt I'll ever make it to Japan any time soon, but hopefully one day.

Oh dude, fuckin' do it. NY and LA are the cocktail meccas in this country so I am dying to check out suggestions is both places.

My list won't be strictly cocktail themed but I'll try to get some good cocktail places in there as well.

There is a place I went to in NYC that did really good cocktails, I kept asking the bartender to make me random cocktails and each one he made was delicious. If only I could remember where the fuck it was.

> Like why the fuck do I need Southern Comfort for like 3 drinks I've never met a person to even know about?

people can get drunk at home off cheapo filtered vodka, put OJ in it if they feel fancy
what you are selling at the bar is an experience, the farther away from everyday, the better
so yes, Alabama Slammers for everyone!

You tryna tell me there's cocktail/meal pairing?

That's just what I took from that. Like, a good bar should have food, or at least snacks. So what are the best foods to have with certain cocktails; like a Dry Martini for instance?

Nice, and I am not a fan of the sugar shots. But geeks will drink anything with a pop rock rim and energy drinks mixed in

listen, if you don't like the taste don't drink it, nobody is asking you, you don't have to "pair" a drink with french fries or mayonnaise or whatever to grease up your diseased palate

>geeks will drink anything with a pop rock rim and energy drinks mixed in

Epic gamer nerd people make me unreasonably angry. I've been dragged to a "nerd" bar before and everyone there was the same. Trench coats flapping in the breeze, pink and blue hair with LOTR t shirts and triforce necklaces. If I'm capable of playing video games alone every night and listening to/watching esoteric shit without babbling on about it why can't everyone else be? Your hobby should not be your identity.

I understand the irony of my post.

Right, right, but I like both mixed drinks AND food. And sometimes there are pairs that just go great together. What, like a coke and a burger? Maybe a Cuba Libre and a burger?

Just tossin ideas.

This guy gets it. I keep my bar simple, if I want certain drinks I'm better off just going out to be honest.

Nah, you definitely misread that.

Nerd bars are a weird niche, but I can appreciate the idea. I've gone to anime cons over the years and most of the time it's a good chance for those to socially interact and do stuff they would normally have the chance to at home. So long as they aren't being off-putting to others, by all means let them have their fun.

I am however very much against booze mixed with energy drinks.

Food pairing is never something I've looked into, even with traditional wine.

Whats your least favorite part about them?

>Ask a bartender anything.

What do you want to be if you grow up?

i need that mug/cup
right now

I hate bartenders so much that for 7 years now I drink at home.

P.S. The music's better too.

Do you think it's rude to ask someone if they'd like change back, for instance paying a $25 bill with $30 (not when they pay a $25 bill with $100)?

Yes, it is rude.

That looks like a Lunchables pizza

If you hit up a Whole Foods or a fancy pants liquor store Q ginger beer is the best ginger beer I've ever had either for mixing or for drinking on its own as a soda.

NY is really expensive, that's just how it is. Boston is too, I used to live in that area, not even any happy hour. Now I live in Louisville and can get $2.75 wells during the day at a place that pours more booze than mixer.

It's like 4 or 5 here

Well to be fair, most of the drinks I get in NY are nice and strong. They usually run me 6-9 dollars.

And last call in Louisville is 4AM, right?

About what, nerd bars? Probably being forced to use tokens for the arcade machines, I just wanna use quarters haha.

Not dead.

gwarbar.com/shop/
Actually didn't realize they had an online store until I looked it up for you. I need to order a shirt haha.

Sorry to hear that, why do you hate bartenders?

Oh, even if it's a nickel that shit is super rude. My mentor taught me an interesting way of dealing with cash transactions. Regardless of the amount, I reply with "I'll be right back with your change." Most guests tend to appreciate that.

The Q brand is pretty good. Have you had Cock and Bull ginger beer? That one is probably my favorite overall.

What about inexperienced drinkers; do you ever see novices just gulping down hard liquor and trying to hold back their gag reflexes?

>Laphroig 10 is my favorite to use, the almost >iodine punk from its peaty quality makes an >interesting mesh with the Drambuie's herbal >and honey sweetness

Yes, this, I love it so much I had to stop drinking them.

I enjoyed this thread very much, thanks OP. I just turned 19, raised & living in Los Angeles. I had a fake ID since I was 16 and I've been going to bars since then. I've been to the best craft cocktail bars in LA without really knowing why they're the "best", just thinking "man this is delicious". I'm very much interested in bartending but unfortunately can't till I'm 21. Any advice on how to get started?

I have only experienced that once and that was my fault because I went with it as a gag. They were seasoned drinkers but never had Cachaca before, so I jokingly suggested they shoot it. They did, but still managed to hold it down.

Whoops, did not realize I misspelled funk! Macallan 12 and Highland Park 12 also work very well in that cocktail.

Unfortunately if you try to apply in your area, you'll likely get blacklisted once people find out your true age. While the damage was done at that point, you would be seen as a massive liability as theoretically if you were underage bar hopping for years what's to stop you from serving underage guests? So I can't help you there, sorry.

You dirty bastard....

??

I'm an experienced drinker and shots can be rough sometimes if I've been drinking a lot. I still hold them down, though.

To my knowledge, you can bartend at age 18 in many states.

I didn't mean getting started professionally, more like how to learn and where to start. OBVIOUSLY I don't want to bartend atm.

I live in CA. We can't.

I want to hit Japan bad. Heard their sanctuary bars are real low key and world class chill. Lots of crossover between jazz heads, audiophiles, and whiskey drinking.

I've never encountered door to door meat sellers and wouldn't ever buy from them. I've seen people in pubs selling bull terrier puppies but not to eat - just pets.

What would be a good way to use powdered dried mint? I thought it might be good on the foam of a silver gin fizz. I've never had a cocktail with any type of powder used, so maybe it's just universally shit, but I made mint powder on a whim, and had this idea for it. Otherwise, I'll make meringues with it. If you've never had it, dried mint tastes much more herbal and savory than fresh mint.

The question is not whether you've tried it not, but how you dry mint. So how do you dry mint, user?

I guess I'm going off the rumor that I've heard, and that being that black guys don't usually know how to drink liquor. As in they try gulping large amounts like it were beer.

Where the FUCK did you get that mug.

I put it in one of those basket dehydrators at 130 degrees fahrenheit. It still has a really bright colour but the flavour changed a bit.

Yup

Never had Cock and Bull, I'll be on the lookout for it

What's up, OP? I'm a bartender too.

>Used to work in IT, making $15 an hour.
>Get my liquor license and go to bartending school.
>Family made fun of me because of it, saying I should stay in IT because I'm good with computers.
>End up quitting my job and working at a casino as a bartender.
>Make almost $30 an hour after tips.

Feels good, man.

Hah! This is the drink my high school Physics teacher recommended we order as a joke. He said it's terrible but I like it.

Not OP, but I just walked in and asked for a job. It just happened they needed people.

Was a very intense summer, went from zero experience to openings, stock management (deliveries / organising the stock and then reorganising it). Though everything was topsy turvy, like being a food runner was considered a promotion.

I guess I didn't word it correctly. How do I learn how to bartend? Seems like a big black hole and dk where to start.

Sounds like you're pretentious as fuck bartender OP, but I like that you go to other bars than your own and it seems like you take the time to discover or invent new drinks.

I work in a dank little standing bar drunk off my ass and it's great, I dunno how you guys can handle the high-end fancy places.

Try Southern Comfort, Ron Rico and grapefruit juice equal parts on a salt-rimmed glass and see what you think.

I'm a massive weaboo so naturally I got stuck on the manga Bartender. There are sequels too, unfortunately they aren't translated but it's nice skimming through raws and figuring out what is being made. Have you seen videos of Japanese bars?

I have never used powder before! I know matcha cocktails exist so there's likely a niche with the mint powder. I would probably try making something side by side with one cocktail using regular mint leaves and see how they compare.

Eh, hit or miss. One of my friends constantly tries to get me to tell him recipes for very potent stuff that has very little bite. Another likes to try out different whiskey based drinks with me. Then I have had guests that were trying to order club drinks which they settled on a Margarita and were revolted by how tart it was.

I went to school for IT and found it wasn't for me. Some colleagues had similar backgrounds and were frankly unhappy with it and made the transition. I think it's a fine balance of a decent income and being able to interact with people. I love making people happy, so it's a dream job.

High five dude, that's awesome.

Gimme a sec and I'll type you up a starter guide.

To learn the hard skills, pick up a basic tool set and some bottles. Basic tools run as such:
>Boston Shaker (weighted bottoms are ideal, the smaller can double as a mixing tin for stirred drinks)
>Barspoon
>Jigger
>Muddler
>Citrus Peeler
>Hand Juicer
>Hawthorne Strainer
>Julep Strainer
>Tea Strainer (trust me, when muddling this helps catch anything a Hawthorne doesn't)

You can pick up these from a ton of places (super cheap on Amazon, my own favorite place to get them is Cocktail Kingdom), the tea strainer is a pain but I normally grab them from

Depending on what you like, stick with just that for the time being instead of shelling out a fuckton of cash trying to have an expansive bar. A home bar should always reflect personal tastes instead of trying to cater to everybody.
>Choice Spirit
>Second Spirit
>Mixer (Vermouth or some Liqueur)
>Angostura Bitters (can be picked up at most grocers, think of it as salt for cocktails. really helps bring out flavors)
>Citrus (fresh lemon and lime juice has a shelf life of about two days, so best not to keep much on hand)
>Simple Syrup
>Dry ingredients based on personal preference (egg, mint, cucumber, etc.)

There are plenty of videos on Youtube that teach you how to make cocktails, but it's hit or miss. To learn the hard skills takes practice. I measure everything out so a jigger is a must, if it has interior markings for different measurements all the better. But I think it's good to figure out what you like first. There are so many possibilities that can happen from such few ingredients.

Thank you so much!
I like tequila and have drank my fair share of them. What's a good, mid price tequila that you recommend?

I stick with El Jimador (specifically their Blanco). I would avoid mixto type tequilas (less than 50% agave) since those are normally pretty shitty. It's pretty inexpensive (less than $20) but super enjoyable. Espolon is another good choice.

Since you're a Tequila fan, look into Mezcal. It's another agave-based spirit that tends to have an earthy, smoky quality to it as the hearts are roasted in coals prior to fermentation rather than steamed. Shit's delicious, but it's an acquired taste for sure so if you see it in a bar order a glass to try it out first. Those tend to be more expensive, but I'd suggest Fidencio or Sombra.

I've had mezcal loads of times before and really loved it. I've never tried it straight, always in a cocktail so I guess I really don't know how it tastes alone. I was always confused on this -- is mezcal considered a type of tequila?

Haha I try to be chill but I think I come off as uptight. Can't say I've seen Ron Rico before (Google showed up Don Q which I see often, so might sub for that), but I'll give it a shot!

Yes and no? It's like comparing Whiskey to Rye or Rum to Cachaca. Similar but hella different. What cocktails have you had it in? My own favorite is the Oaxacan Breakfast. It's like a Bloody Mary without tomato juice, fuckin' delightful.

>It's like a Bloody Mary without tomato juice

I don't see the point then, one of the things I love the most about a good bloody mary is the tomato flavor