What would bear taste like?

What would bear taste like?

Barely.

Bear isn't bad. Kind of like moose, which is kind of like elk. It's grissly, though.

Like the gamiest animal you will shoot and eat in the U.S.

I hit one with my truck and wound up killing it, Cop said I could keep it.

bear steaks are ok if your hammered drunk, cold, and hungry

I've eaten bear before. It is very gamey, but if you season and cook it right you can take away the toughness and season down the grizzliness

My grandmother ate it when she was young. She said it tasted a bit like a strongly flavored pork but was very greasy. The flavor will probably have a lot to do with what their primary food sources are. She grew up in the Ozarks, so they were probably feeding primarily on nuts, berries and carrion.

they are carrion feeders, the meat tastes foul

I'm pretty sure that if bears tasted good we would be eating them on a regular basis

Wtf does gamey mean

I think bear liver is toxic

It means someone gut shot it or fucked up field dressing and cut the digestive tract organs and got partially digested food matter or lower intestine feces on the meat.

If you don't pierce digestive organs and field dress immediately, there is no "gamey" flavor.

This. Also if you don't keep it cold before butchering it, the meat will taste gamey

rustic

Bear tastes like shit even without being a shitty hunter. The only way to eat it is in sausage.

Only had it in a stew red wine and veggies . pretty good its been awhile rich hearty flavor

"What would", try what does city-slicker. Super gamey, greasy and full of gristle. My favorite way is pepperoni actually (think slim jim), sausage, then stew. Never really cared to try it as a steak, I can't imagine it'd work.

This. Someone has to elaborate on this "gamey" thing for it to actually make sense. Is chicken gamey at all? Beef or pork? Is there any gamey seafood? I've had venison which I believe is gamey, but I don't think deer and bears taste the same. That being said, we need another word for bear meat. Cow=beef, pig=pork, bear=???

It's called gamey because there is a particular flavor wild (game) land animals have that all of the domestic animals you listed do not due to their diet and the difficulties of wild life. As for flavor it's kind of like liver mixed in to whatever kind of meat you're eating with all of the flavors turned up a notch or two - both the good and bad ones.

Having different names for animals and their meat is actually a really unusual thing linguistically. English only has it because of the Norman occupation, which was also the same time our "bad words" were decided.

I would say it mostly has to do with the diet of the animal. Moose and reindeer have a disitinct earthy/irony flavour that doesn't translate to the flavours of regular beef or pork. Wild pigs and boar do have that gamey taste however.
It also applies to fish, perch usually has pretty lean white meat but larger perch that move on from eating insects and the odd fry and begin eating crayfish taste noticeably different and their meat almost turns pink.

like lies, deceit and failure if you didn't kill the bear yourself

This.

I live in Northern Ontario where there is a FUCK ton of bears, and the only way people eat it here is in sausage.

I tried a bear stew before, and it was pretty gross.

Bear/pork sausage is my favourite sausage though.

Depends on the bear's diet. If it eats fruits and grasses it tastes great but a bear that eats carrion or fish is virtually inedible.

underrated post

Grylled bear

I watched a youtube video about eating bear meat a couple weeks ago

Black bear apparently tastes the best because of the blueberries they eat

It depends on the diet, not the species. Black bears who have spent all summer eating salmon will taste just as foul as brown bears who have spent all summer eating salmon.

It has a fishy taste. Like deer meat.

>fishy taste
>venison

I get one deer every year, butcher myself, and have never had my venison taste "fishy".

Wtf are you talking about?

Sorry that's only way I can describe it

Apparently pretty good have you ever read Little House in the Woods I think that was the girl's favorite food: bear meat.

Drinking bear-milk will make you strong as an ox!

I guess like 'spicey' would be a word to describe it.

Like imagine your meat infused with the ground the animal has been walking on.

>Little House in the Big Woods

Thanks for reminding me. That entire series is great stuff. Will read again this winter because of this post.

bears killed in the spring will taste better than bears killed in the fall....

most of the "gaminess" is in the fat and they don't have much after hibernating all winter

Beary good

Bear meat is really bad. I am form Far Eastern, sometimes i go to Taiga. Meat of bear infected by salmonellosis.

The black bear I had was eating a lot of grains and it tasted of zero game and was like solid beef. Very solid and low fat.

Bear
Tough and Gamey
Not really worth the effort in bringing down for the food.
Better alternative, Track Bear and find out where the Bear is getting its supply of food.

Other uses for Bear.
Fur.
Claws make good use for weapons and tools.
Bitchin ass Bear head Hat and tooth necklace.
Bones can be used for tools
Bear fat provides lots of fire fuel.

black bear is pretty good if you get them at the right time of year when they are getting fat on berries

if they are near cities or eat primarily salmon they taste foul.

i would NEVER even consider brown bear they eat everything foul or otherwise.

source Spurdo ALaskan :DDDD