Friday night Cookin'

Getting my beef stew on tonight.

What are yall cookin' up?

how is the beef stew going? what's inside it?

I just ate some old pizza crusts from the carpet of my car. Don't ask. It was all I had.

I can see sage, rosemary, and what looks to be mushrooms. I'm guessing he made a roux based on the thickness of the liquid.
How did I do OP?

Not OP but.
>sage
That'd be bay
>roux
Most likely, but if he doesn't plan on boiling it much longer it could be an al a minute thickener like corn starch or a beurre manie.

Finished product.

Thread seems to be dead but that's fine. Hope you all enjoy your weekend.

Tonight's recipe:

3 lb of chuck
mirepoix
bella mushrooms
tomato paste
beef stock
cayenne
paprika
garlic powder
salt and pepper
tomato paste
white flour
worcestershire sauce

Pretty close...

Rosemary, yes.
No sage; thyme and bay.
Mushrooms, yes.
Roux based, yes.

Cook time 3 hours. If I were to simmer on the stove then slow cook in the oven at 180F it would have taken 6 hours. Just looking for a comfy Friday meal on a cold fall/winter night.

Looks delicious, nice presentation as well.

I spent most of today cooking the rest of the turkey I had left from Thanksgiving. Made turkey masala and turkey jambalaya. It was easy enough to make, but I needed dishes that had long boil/stew times to make sure the leftovers were safe to eat.

Forgot to mention I deglazed my fond with 3/4 cup melot, and 1/4 101 wild turkey.

My reasoning behind this mixture: they both have an oak flavor profile due to the fact that they are coth cask'd in oak. The melot adds a sweetness, and the wild turkey adds an spicyness; not 'spicy' in terms of hot, but wild turkey embodies flavors such as all spice and cinnamon. Both accentuate a beef stew perfectly, and it certainly turned out tasting fairly well.

Good use of leftovers. My hats off to you, user.

Looks comfy as fuck.

Looks like Japanese kari

>must be something in the air
I had chuck roast:
brown roast
add onion and garlic
deglaze with chickenstock and water
Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce
add thyme, rosemary, bay
in the oven at 275 for 2.5 hours

With an hour to go I roast the veg:
parsnips
baby carrot
celery
Coat with tomato paste and pop the sheet pan in with the roast. Let them roast for an hour or so.

Pour the roasted veg in with the braised meat and let it go for another hour.

Remove roast and veg leaving the sauce/gravy and whisk in about a tablespoon of a beurre manie to lightly thicken. slice up some meat (kinda fell apart) add some veg on top and sauce with the gravy. I topped it with a couple of slice of store bought sourdough and fresh parsley/scallions

Parsnip is something I've never cooked with before. The fact that you added it to a beef stew has me intrigued. I'm going to do a little research of parsnip now and get a better understanding of its uses.

Here are some pictures. Shit quality because I'm using my 3DS camera.

Another

It's the best taste characteristics of a carrot with the texture of a potato. Good stuff.

>celery

thick rib steak I picked up from the butchers shop.

$6.99/lbs hooo boy!

god damn it was good, best $11 dollar steak I've ever had.

Shoulda taken pics you guys woulda been proud of me.

Still not sure how to get that nice sear without smoking up the house though.

Did you season it with anything special, or just a dash of S&P?

salt and pepper, light garlic powder