Christmas Dinner Menu

Hey Veeky Forums. So it's my turn to do Christmas this year and I've never done it before. :o( I'm also not much of a chef but I hope to figure it out. I got 8 people coming.

What do you guys think of this for the menu?

Have out when people arrive:
cheese and crackers and maybe some salami or something mixed in

Dinner:
14-lbs turkey
Sweet Potato Casserole
Green beans?
Bread (worth making home made or just buy some shit?)
Stuffing (home made or should I buy it?)

Desert:
Apple pie?
Banoffee pie?
(for desert there are only 8 people and historically people have been stuffed after dinner so not much desert eating, so having two is just for giving choices reasons)

I'll also get some champaign and wine. Maybe some red wine, what kind of red goes good with turkey/christmas dinner? Should I get some good beer too?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l14WRwYyLHU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

if you've never baked bread before you should just buy it from a bakery. for dessert you should include an assortment of cookies as well as a pie, you can bake them days ahead and you won't have to make 2 pies the day of

Thanks, that's a good idea! Yeah I'm a bit worried about having to make a bunch of stuff day of. The sweet potato casserole I see I can pre prep everything the day before, keep in the fridge, and then just bake day off.

Beans I was thinking of because I have a steamer.

>what kind of red goes good with turkey/christmas dinner?
Lighter reds like Pinot Noir or Beaujolais.

I'm actually having a traditional Japanese Christmas dinner this year.
Best of luck to you, OP!

no offense meant, but didnt you guys eat a turkey already just now for thanksgiving?
Why not do a goose or a nice roast as a pace of change

>Pinot Noir
Thanks. Any recommendations in the 20-40 dollar range?

I got an ex-alcoholic coming too but fuck I donno what to offer her.. water?

Nice! Haha. Thank you.

Yeah, I considered doing a roast. Might be easier also. Turkey is a pain to carve and makes a bigger mess.

Want to try out a goose for Christmas. Any specific way I should prepare it? Also what should I serve with it?

Check out Kays idea for a Christmas dinner:
youtube.com/watch?v=l14WRwYyLHU

So good, and some great ideas.

OP here (so no idea), but wouldn't that be greasy potentially?

She seems really nice :3

Try a trifle for dessert, their pretty easy to assemble and quite elegant. We did green beans with spätzle for Thanksgiving, turned out quite well, get spätzle from a German grocer if you can, they're a PIA to make by hand. Sounds like a good menu, would enjoy/10

>ex alcho
Have some Perrier or ginger ale on hand. Otherwise don't mention it, or otherwise aknowledge it, it's bad form and will likely make her uncomfortable

*they're
DERP

spatzle is an interesting idea. Is it hard too keep warm though? timing that with the meat seems difficult since spatzle would get cold really fast.

Not at all, it cooks with the green beans in a bit of beer and shallot & thyme. Put it in a casserole and pop it in the oven or wherever to stay warm until service. Plenty of recipes on the web. Very tasty.

If using fresh spätzle, I should add, if you use prepared spätzle you cook it separately like any other pasta and add it to the green beans

Thanks.

>cut of the obvious excessfat - set aside for later
>prick the skin/fat of the bird with the tip of your knife or a needle everywhere to make it easier for the fat to render
>salt bird and put in the fridge/the balcony for 1-2 nights
>stuff with anything, i use tart apples and dried prunes
>roast the bird over a roasting tin, maybe youll have to remove the liquified fat sometimes, also put the innards to the roasting tin for a gravy later
>make a gravy after removing all the fat, while the bird is resting, with whats in the tin

at some later point you should use all the trimmings of goosefat to render the fat out and put in a jar, goosefat i the best

Thanks that is interesting. I might try that as a test run at some point. I'm most comfortable with turkey or a roast, although concerned with the roast if I don't serve it immediately it will keep cooking outside the oven and be overdone by the time people eat it. Always slow to get people to sit at the table

youre welcome, maybe you should try cooking the roast on a low temperature, take it out for a restand seat everyone, while you turn the oven on highest heat, and just put it in for a quick finish, that way you have pretty good control about whats happening with temp, especially if you got a thermometer. and theres basically no need to rush it once its out for the rest.

Oh nice idea! I have a roast probe on my oven that works pretty good. I'll try the lower temp cooking.

Roasted duck and flæskesteg with white potatoes (just boiled), brown potatoes (coated in caramelized sugar), hot pickled red cabbage, gravy made from the duck drippings and potatochips to dip in the remaining gravy.
For dessert: cold rice porridge mixed with whipped cream, chopped almonds, vanilla and served with hot cherry sauce.
I'm going to eat until I burst.

And flæskesteg = a side of pork with ribs and crackling.

That sounds tasty user!

Thanks. I just wish I could get out of my comfort zone and cook traditional christmas meals from other countries.
Like a whole turkey, goose or ham.But I'm afraid to fuck it up somehow.

The problem with turkey is that a lot of ovens are too small for a whole bird.

I know the feeling

I'm sorry, but can I get a few /thread-a-roonies on this?

Get a what on what now?

Be nice if there was restaurants that sells cooked whole turkey. Many places will sell whole cooked chicken but never turkey.

>no restaurants sell cooked turkeys during holidays

This can't be true.

I live in bumfuck backwater and there a multiple restaurants that sell whole turkeys roasted, smoked or deep fried during the holidays.

generic as fuck and sounds like a shitty thanksgiving

UK here, my mum's up this year, she's a great cook....will be something like this

>Ruinart NV, Local ales, Orval/Westmalle, several bottles of good Chablis and Cote du Rhone, Brandy & Whisky later on

Starters
>Smoke salmon tarlet & dressed salad leaves
>Watercress soup

Main
>Roast Turkey w/ stuffing (stuffed in the actual bird...baka when yanks bake it separately)
>pigs in blankets (bacon-wrapped sausages)
>Roast potatoes cooked in goose fat
>Brussel sports steamed then flash-fried w/ lardon
>Green beans and carrots
>Cranberry sauce
>Bread sauce (hnngggg)
>Gravy

Dessert
>Christmas pudding made several months in advance
>plum frangipane tart
>sponge w/ stewed rhubarb
>cream and maybe custard on the table

Later on there will be coffee/tea/chocolates/mince pies

Fillet of beef w/ yorkshire puddings etc. on Boxing day (26th Dec)

yum!

>Roast Turkey w/ stuffing (stuffed in the actual bird...baka when yanks bake it separately)
Is there a trick to getting that right? I'd be afraid of it taking forever to cook and not being able to accurately time in. I always cheat and use a temp probe but that wouldn't work with stuffing in there also.

Also, you got a good banoffee pie recipe bonganon?