/spicy/

let's talk about hot sauces, hot peppers, spicy recipes.

What kind of sauces do you keep on hand?

Other urls found in this thread:

pexpeppers.com/product/to-the-moon-habanero-hot-sauce/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do any of you grow your peppers? I usually grow a dozen varieties or so every summer. This past summer I had an excess of tobasco peppers so I made a sauce out of it.

Make way for the master race

My homemade tobaso was very "green" tasting, it did have good flavor but was just overall vinegary and tasted like Crystal hotsauce.

I bought a few hot sauce books and a fermentation book, anyone have any pointers on fermenting a good sauce?

I am really not a fan of Crystals, that shit taste like drinking vinegar.

I eat this three or four times a week, but instead of tofu it's sauteed chicken (most places call it ma po when it's tofu and ma la when chicken). So fucking hot, so fucking delicious. Also steamed wontons in the same sauce. Basically just oil and a paste of those hot ass peppers that mimic novocaine and numb your mouth.

Forgot pic

I only have tabasco right now and just made some spicy almonds. Just roasted them like normal and mixed them in a bowl with Cayenne pepper, cumin, garlic, salt, a tiny amount of sugar and a fuck ton of tabasco. tastes great, really wish I had some dry horseradish to top it off with.

Anything I can add to that? I feel like besides horse radish it could use something.

Tastes delicious and not too hot with just a dot. Still hot enough to make me panic a bit if I put too much on.

My mainstays are Tabasco and Mango Habanero Tabasco. For wings and such, Crystal Buffalo Extra Hot.

Ghost pepper tastes like hot sadness.

JalapeƱo always risks adding an extreme bitterness that ruins the food, especially when fresh. Pickled is meh, maybe on a burrito.

Cayenne is OK but annoying most of the time

Sriracha is awful. I'd rather spice up cocktail sauce with Tabasco.

Just got this one last week.
Hottest fucking hot sauce I've ever had... had a paella earlier and whacked 4 drops of that in it and it melted my face off my skull.
Pretty tasty smokey flavour too.

I need a less spicy one to buy also... I always go as hot as I can go and need something a little less brutal.

>daves hotsauce

Why do people buy this shit? It has no flavor and is just DUDE HOT LMAO

I'm sorry, but can I get a few /thread-a-roonies on this?

it was my first and last bottle, while it has rectal wrecking heat, there is next to no flavor.

Spicy, and superhot are two different things. Blairs is too hot for normal usage, maybe a drop or two for a chilli, other than that and it's just too much.

Also God tier mustard.

I'm a bit shorthanded when it comes to sauces because I mostly use crushed red pepper to add heat to my dishes.

I mostly use hot sauces as a standalone heat AND flavor enhancer for things like eggs, fajitas, etc.

Forgot pic

this one and the black one, sometimes I prefer the black because has more flavor even if it's not as hot as the posted pic sauce.

Yucateco is one of my favorite hot sauce brands. Really good flavor-to-heat ratio on their sauces.

I grow jalapenos since i live in texas i alwasy get a fuckload of them and make poppers on the grill with bacon or make a bunch of pico or salsa

I put one tiny drop of this in pretty much everything.
4-5 drops in a while thing of salsa.
Make wings with buffalo sauce and a drop of da bomb. All my soups even cream of mushroom.
Love it cause is incredibly spicy but never changes the flavor of the dish cause you don't use really any

>it was my first and last bottle, while it has rectal wrecking heat, there is next to no flavor.

All good user, I remember buying my first bottle of the ghost pepper shit. Never again after that.

The black one is really good for meats, I love that smokiness, so good.

I'm so sad my favorite got discontinued.

All blair's sauces are pretty good

I got this shit into my eye once, accidentally of course. Tastes very good, but also hurts very bad.

Simple truth jalapeno is fucking awesome, I remember Kroger ran a sale 99c per bottle, I bought a dozen or so, damn that's some tasty stuff, amazing flavor and the heat is very mild.

God tier pickle.. Inconsistent as fuck tho, I've had a bottle be jalapeno hot, then the next bottle be a top habanero hot. It's funny listening to my kid sniffle eating a pickle, that's how I know they were the habanero hot.

Good man, but I prefer the original Dave's Insanity Sauce.

I love using Tabasco on everything, but most of the time I need real heat.

Mexican here. Above post has got it for the best flavor-to-heat ratio. Yucateco will blow you out of the water if you use too much, but the key is that you don't need to use much at all because it's so flavorful.

Here are the sauces I keep on hand:
>Salsa Huichol
Nice earthy flavor. Not very hot at all. I use it to add body to dishes which are too tart or too "sharp" in their flavor profile
>Valentina
Best all-around hot sauce for standalone flavor. Not too hot either, so it's great for gringos.
>Yucateco
For the reasons mentioned above, I use this when I want to add a lot of heat (habanero base) and still get plenty of flavor for the trouble. Again, it has an earthier profile, but the heat makes it so sharp that it will bring out the best in otherwise flat flavors.
>Frank's Red Hot
I love this sauce shamelessly. It's my favorite buffalo-style.
>Pepper Plant
Thicker sauce with a garlicky flavor. I think the body is really good and the textural contrast makes it nice for adding to dishes without it disappearing.

And a shameless plug:
>Dr. Stadnyk's Hot Sauce
You can order this one online. My friend from college started the company with his dad and I actually love their hot sauce. The classic habanero is my favorite. It is on the vinegary side of the sauce spectrum, but it has pleasant heat and uses carrots for a little sweetness and thickness to round it out. I'd highly recommend giving it a go.

I've tried a whole bunch of other sauces, but I've never really been impressed very much. I grew up eating whatever they made at the taqueria or what was available in Mexican markets, and I think I'm just undwerwhelmed by all of the sauces made by white folks that I feel are poor imitations of the stuff I'm used to.

Their Hurtin Habanero has good heat (but not too much) and great flavor

been fucking with el yucateco

pic related: red is dank

mah nigga

Sriracha
Vietnamese Chili Sauce
Maggi Hot & Spicy
Korean Chili Paste (Gochujang)
Kimchi Juice (Mat Kimchi)
Pepper
Chili Oil

The color of the green kind really freaks me out. It's like fucking neon green

LOL yeah its crazy green, but the color is just like a fresh habanero.

the taste is good too, but that red one and the mayan recipe the kutbil-ik are my favorites

I would kill to be able to grow peppers, but i live in a shared apartment.

Not that hot but I like the taste, i realy need to make my own at some point

Chinese food: Sambal Oelek
American food: Sriracha or Tabasco
Mexican food: Chipotle flakes
Indian food: Any fresh chili pepper in hand.

/thread.

>make own golchujang

Maangchi has a video that shows in detail how to make it. Not that complicated, but it has to age for 6 months to a year. I've got a batch aging I made a month ago.

They add food coloring to make it that green. I like it but the coloring puts me off

pexpeppers makes some amazing hot sauces.

currently fucking with: pexpeppers.com/product/to-the-moon-habanero-hot-sauce/

a tab bit expensive too, but so worth it. lots of good fresh pepper taste, none of that vinegar bullshit.

They have this shit every time I eat at IHOP and I love it

Is this a good choice or should i buy the habanero sauce instead?

I just enjoy growing chillis more than eating them.
Growing scotch bonnets and gonna plant vampires next spring.

Habanero is better but you really can't go wrong with their sauces.

>you really can't go wrong with their sauces.
yes, you absolutely can

this shit tastes like a spicy ashtray

it's honestly ruined their habanero for me too

>ghost pepper sauce
I REALLY need another bottle!

Here's my saus

your fucked. you are a bad human being

Ive only made one so far but it was very tasty. Definitely has a unique flavor. You add salt to prevent botulism but since it was my first time making it i erred on the side of caution and added extra salt. The product was too salty but not overwhelmingly so. Just make sure you add the exact amount. I would also add more garlic next time.

I used a cayenne hybrid that I grew so it was pretty hot but too hot.