How can people enjoy vinegar? It smells fucking atrocious and the taste is just as bad to be honest...

How can people enjoy vinegar? It smells fucking atrocious and the taste is just as bad to be honest. It actually grosses me out when I see people use tabasco sauce.

Is it just one of those things where if used correctly, you shouldn't be tasting it at all?

Vinegars fucking lush mate what are you talking about.

Sometimes I'll just chuck it out the bottle before putting food in my mouth, gives it a proper good zing.

Stop being a little faggot about it and get some on your pizza.

I love it, sometimes I just put half a cup of white vinegar, mix it with water and drink it.
It's also really great to eat on bread instead of butter, good for avoiding stomach acid reflux, food poisoning, keeping your mouth healthy, having good digestion and low sugar blood levels.

Vinegar is love and life, OP is a faggot.

I can't stand the smell or taste either.
My nose feels like it's on fire whenever I get a whiff.

>grew up in Maine
>Vacationed at Old Orchard Beach, the poor man's Atlantic City
>Get these delicious fries every day
>Drench them in white vinegar
>Delicious

Don't know why, don't really use white vinegar as a condiment anytime else. The place was lousy with French Canadians, I think the white vinegar came from then.

Anyway, it was fucking delicious. I'd fill that box up with white vinegar and salt. Omnomnom.

try not cheap white get some balsamic.

Chippies in Britain use Malt vinegar, is that what you normally use in the USA?

In my experience: blue prefers white vinegar, red prefers malt vinegar, green prefers mayonnaise and thousand island, black prefers some sort of meme truffle aoili sauce d'jour, the rest of the country likes ketchup to lube the passage of fries down their gullet

Marinade you fool. Hot potatoes marinade in vinegar to make potato salad.

Tell me about it. My girlfriend doesn't eat cereal, she eats frozen peas floating in vinegar.

Your map made me chuckle, I can see what you are trying to say.

Like I said, salty and Malt Vinegar is the default in Britain, even if we but a pot of curry sauce to dip them in (although we often buy a battered sausage or saveloy as well, for dunking. Unless you are a Northerner, then they put gravy over their chips anyway.

>Chippies in Britain use Malt vinegar
No they don't.
They traditionally use NBC.

>They traditionally use NBC.
Most do now but not all.
And NBC is NOT traditional, but you make a fair point.

Apple cider and wine-based vinegars are very common in the US. So are knockoffs of "balsamic". Vinegar is also a key ingredient in ketchup, BBQ sauce, and many popular hot sauces. We have fish-and-chip chains too, and they always have malt vinegar. And while many people may not know it, a lot of their favorite Chinese food contains vinegar as well.

I've never seen anyone use plain white vinegar for cooking purposes except maybe for making their own pickles, but even then cider vinegar is more popular. White vinegar like OP posted is used mainly for non-food purposes like cleaning.

There's also a growing trend of sweet potato fries with cinnamon butter dipping sauce. Served in place of normal fries, like with a burger. Because god knows what America needs is even more sugary shit.

i would try it

All sorts of vinegar are available here in Britain but like you said, white vinegar although sold as seasoning, is mostly sold as pickling strength.

I have pickled onions and eggs with white vinegar and I have to be honest, there isn't much difference than using Malt pickling vinegar, maybe because I throw in dried birds-eye chillies and black peppercorns, it dominates the flavour.
> So are knockoffs of "balsamic".
Balsamic (knock-off or not) is a bit overrated in my opinion, it's Ok for salads but that's about it.

I have had sweet potato chips before, I have no complaints but I can never see it as a replacement for the traditional spud.

To try and draw a parallel, it's like having roast Parsnips alongside roast potatoes, it makes a nice contrast but should never overwhelm.

>Balsamic (knock-off or not) is a bit overrated in my opinion

Then you haven't had the real thing. It's a goddamn mouthgasm. Alas, it's fucking crazy expensive. The vast majority of it is fake or very shortly aged. If it didn't cost something like $50 (or more) for a tiny little bottle and has the consistency of honey then you didn't get the real deal.

but yeah, I agree that most of the stuff is overrated, I just mentioned it since it's a commonly used vinegar in the US.

>Then you haven't had the real thing.
Of course I have, I don't live on Mars.
Anything available on mainland Europe is available in England. My point still stands, that Balsamic is not worth fighting over, it's a very mild flavour and I don't really understand the hype.

>Anything available on mainland Europe is available in England

I know it is. The reason I said you probably hadn't tried it is because of how you described it. I wasn't accusing England of being a culinary wasteland.

>> it's a very mild flavour

That is why I think you haven't tried it. The flavor is anything but mild. Given that your description of it is that incredibly inaccurate I must therefore conclude that what you tasted wasn't the real thing.

Look at it this way: Suppose you asked if I've ever been to a football (i.e. soccer) match and I replied: "yes, it was nice and relaxing". You'd know right away that I was either full of shit or that the "football match" I went to wasn't representative of the real thing.

>That is why I think you haven't tried it. The flavour is anything but mild
Actually, it is.
I have tried many types of Balsamic and some have cost me dearly, funnily enough my Mother is a Foodie too and although she has bought different brands but the conclusion is the same.

It's 'Oaky' type flavour is fine but it's NOT strong and will not dominate anything more than a salad.

Vinegar smells and tastes gross on its own but I mean you wouldn't just shovel a scoop of flour or a spoonful of vanilla extract into your mouth either, it's an ingredient meant to be cooked with.

This. I love it but not by itself. Gives stuff zing. Start reading ingredient labels, it's in some shit I bet you enjoy?

Ever had pickles? Mustard? Many barbecue sauces?

I was once lazy and caught a whiff of the neat stuff outside of the fume hood in the wet lab. I needed an immediate nose and lung transplant. lulz

Sweet potato fries are a god send, leave them alone. As for the dipping sauce you described, that just sounds like it'll ruin the taste of the fries.

>barbecue sauces

Precisely, vinegar is why North Carolina barbecue is the best

>keeping your mouth healthy
Shit fucks your teeth tho.

I love vinegar - it's not just failed wine. I've made my own fruit vinegar using pic related.

It's also useful for household cleaning too. You can get the smell of stale urine out of mattresses by pouring distilled vinegar then adding baking soda. When the reaction ends, wait for it to dry then vaccuum (works better than febreze)

malt vinegar is available at Five Guys. That and actual fish and chip places are the only fast food places that have malt vinegar I can think of.

*vomits externally*

She prefers her vegetables frozen and drowned in vinegar, universally. Yesterday I saw her chow down on about three cups of frozen peas, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans that she had just put in a bowl and dumped a large amount of vinegar onto. I've seen her do it with apple cider, balsamic, and malt vinegar. I think malt vinegar is her favorite. She also does it to rice and to pasta, so I have to be careful when eating leftovers.

DUDE
SCOBY
LMAO

hey brah do u make ur own vinegar? whats ur SCOBY like brah? LMAO

haha bro do u make kombucha? its soooo goooooood

what bro? no! it's not just vinegar! it's KOMBUCHA bro its TOTALLY different

bro i can give u a SCOBY if u want senpai trust me its lit AF you gotta make your own kombucha its reaallly good u would love it

White vinegar is more common in the US, but there are places that serve both. Honestly apple cider vinegar is the only patrician choice.

it goes well only with certain dishes user (e.g. salads)

anyway, i don't know if you've ever tried wine vinegar from a small producer. my relatives have vineyards and they make vinegar from the leftovers. it smells of acetone a little bit and the flavour is godly. does anyone know if vinegar like that can be bought in the UK?

Vinegar is fucking great.

OFC you can buy wine vinegar in the UK. Or you can make it yourself, it's quite easy.

I agree, vinegar is shit

Everything that has vinegar on it tastes better without it

Why is stale urine such an issue where you live?

Maybe he works at a retirement home