I'm making a bouillabaisse today, anyone have any tips?

I'm making a bouillabaisse today, anyone have any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/bouillabaisse-238411/amp
youtube.com/watch?v=G85nIXgdi_I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Use a variety of fish & shellfish, make your own stock if you can, if not clam juice is a decent substitute, do NOT skip the rouille. Post pics.

You can't make it properly in one day you need to simmer the broth for 24 hours minimum

Should I strain out the onions/tomatoes/fennel/garlic or leave them in? I'm inclined to leave them in for the extra fiber.

I thought the whole point is that it was for fishermen to make after a days work.

>I thought the whole point is that it was for fishermen to make after a days work.

Correct, the other user is exaggerating.

French cooking is well-kown for long-simmered stocks. But that's meat-based stocks. Seafood stocks are made in a fraction of the time of a poultry or red meat stock. Maybe there is some unique special restaurant out there that makes a 24-hour bouillabaisse but that would be the exception not the norm.

Personally I'd strain them, they're aromatics for flavoring the broth, and serve no purpose outside of that. Remember: it's a fish stew, they're the star here. But do as you like.

Or to put it another way: there are about as many ways to make boullibaise as there are people making it, there are ingredients that are expected to be in it of course, but no one "correct" way to make it

*bouillabaisse

>Should I strain out the onions/tomatoes/fennel/garlic or leave them in? I'm inclined to leave them in for the extra fiber.
Correct

OP here.

Step one is going to our local market.

Bloody Hell!
How many blacks do you have?

Oh fuck yeah show me that good fish

We're going to be following the recipe here google.com/amp/www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/bouillabaisse-238411/amp

>Lexington market
FUCK YOUR BOUILLABAISSE GO GET FAIDLEYS CRAB CAKES

A lot.

We'll get there

kek

Found the britbong.

>Found the britbong.
Absolutely!
Is all of the USA like this?

muh dick

I've never made bouilliabaisse, but i've made jjampong because it's my girlfriend's favorite dish and it honestly seems pretty similar. I bet gochuchang/gochujaru would be pretty good addition to traditional boullibase.

>tfw you and your qt korean gf will never open the korean/italian/french restaurant of your dreams

I love this place so much

Oi'd say so, guv'nor. That's really nothing compared to Memphis or Detroit. The Northwest, starting around Wyoming, not so much.

>see nice pictures of this place itt
>maybe i'll have to check it out
>google Lexington Market for more info
>someone got shot there 2 days ago
never mind then I guess

Thug life

Finished product just got done

Well, I didn't cut the fish thick enough and I should of removed more bones but this stuff is delicious

If you leave them in, it will start to become bitter because the vegetables are being continuously cooked.

Making stock

Only the classiest boxed wine

Fancy clam juice

Stock before straining

All the seafood

Rouille

Looks good, keep going OP

$900 an ounce

Good thread OP
Nice to see a how-to here ...

Veg

Last pic, if anyone ever gets a chance I would highly recommend visiting Lexington Market.

damn fine looking meal op. how much did you end up spending for everything

I had dank crab cakes at Lexington last time I was in Baltimore

Seafood was about $45. Other ingredients were about $27, but that was mostly because I went to Whole Foods. Saffron was the most expensive ingredient by weight.

youtube.com/watch?v=G85nIXgdi_I

>last pic
What no plating pic? No big crusty bread sticking out of a stew?

There were popovers for the starch, so there was no money-shot sadly. This is a pic of the leftover popovers.

Sorry I didn't take more pictures, I was in a hurry to get dinner to the table.