Do you miss your parents' or grandparents' cooking?

Do you miss your parents' or grandparents' cooking?

No because I can replicate it if I choose to what kind of shitty cook can't? Did you only take an interest in cooking as an adult or something?

>grandma made best rhubarb pie I've ever had
>mind slipping away to Alzheimer's
>tfw never come over to a fresh cooked pie from ingredients picked from her garden
Goddammit OP

I did. Feels like I definitely missed out but such is life.

Fuck no. They can't cook for shit. Why do you think I learned to cook for myself?

My grandmother made the best Apfelstrudel.

Yes very much so. I make great food but nothing beats those old dishes that your mom used to make for you

>We were poor immigrants living in a cramped home
>We didn't have much but dinner was always a big production
>I have money now, but my grandparents are gone, my siblings now live in different states
>No amount of money can ever replicate the closeness of family in those halcyon days

Watching a loved one slip into Alzheimer's. My heart goes out to you, user.

main thing I miss is at thanksgiving, my granpas smoked oyster stuffing, no one else does it quite the way he did

Mom's... not so much. Her distaste for cooking is why I got into it so hard. Grandma's... definitely. She's old, slipping into dementia, and very much in hospice. Cooking for her is comforting, but I live really far away from her. The smells of her kitchen won't ever leave my memory, though.

Nah, I know how to cook everything my mom used to cook.

Other than flour tortillas, my grandma makes the blandest, driest food I've tasted.

>remember never really liking Thanksgiving/Christmas turkey that much
>discussing turkey cooking with my mother
>talk about letting it cook for 10-ish hours at 200
>"Oh, your grandmother did that. She'd always get up at like 4AM to put the turkey in. I never understood why. It always came out dry and awful."
>... oh
>cook turkey like normal
>watch temp
>it's fine
>wow what was so fucking hard about that
I also remember her making sweet tea that could bend a spoon, and fruit salad with grapes, apples, and Cool Whip.

MY CONDOLENCES MY MAIN MAN

>grandma was from osaka
>made the best japanese comfort food
>died when i was 14
>mom is a pretty good cook too
>never really got into cooking until i moved out
>try to help mom cook and pick up some tips whenever i see her, but it is only maybe 3-4 times a year

yes

>Do you miss your parents' or grandparents' cooking?

Nope. My grandparents died when I was very young so I don't remember their cooking. I had my parents teach me all my favorite dishes which they cooked and I've been making them for years. Many of them I've improved upon greatly (mainly by not overcooking pork dishes)

What, do you not get any emotional or sentimental value?

grandmas always made good shit like pic related

Nope. Grandma was a good cook but not a great one. Mom didn't cook at all.

>Do you miss your parents' or grandparents' cooking?
more than anything my man. and i'm better cook than any of them ever were.

Sometimes, but I miss my grandparents more than I miss their cooking.

nope. I make much healthier and tastier food, all around.

Grandma yes
Mother no

Me mum was brainwashed 70s pseudo hippy. I was better at cooking than her at age 12.

No my parents never had the time to cook for me. They fed me mcdonalds on a daily basis that's why I was fat as fuck and bullied. I wonder why somebody has children if they don't even have the time to cook them food? They never had any time for me either

>Mom's cooking
>sad excuse for "enchiladas"
>McCormick tacos
>pasta with store bought sauce
>baked, unseasoned chicken
>decent chilli

Nah. It's because of her cooking that I started cooking for myself. I still make her chilli just with my own improvements.

only for emotional reasons, my grandma was a great person

No, my parents made typical WASPy unseasoned dry food and other than a few recipes it was all pretty forgettable

My grandfather died of colon cancer because my grandmother always cooked meat until it was burnt.

She could magically make the smoothest and softest grits in no time and her knowledge of Creole cookery expansive.

Her gumbos were immaculate, her rice was perfectly cooked, never sticking each grain cooked and in split coated in butter as is traditionally done.

She died two weeks ago and my mom didn't tell me until a month before because I don't talk to her and she didn't feel bad at all ( ;.;)

I meant an hour, I hate phones

Of course I do that's why I sometimes cook dishes just like they did rather than my improved versions. Except my grandma's mincemeat recipe there's no improving on that. Her meatloaf recipe is pretty bomb too actually. The funny thing is that she really want that good a cook she just loved those two recipes that her mother I guess made. I should really go through that hundred year old hand written cookbook more thoroughly to see if there's other undiscovered genius in there.

I miss having fucktons of leftovers readily available instead of having the fridge filled to the brim with my roommates' shit.

No, I literally eat lunch at my grandmother's every day, faggot. On top of that, I eat dinner at parents place at least twice a week.

Baka, Senpai, Tbh, etc.

Absolutely, mum now lives in a differnt country so I never get to eat her food anymore.
>No roasted Norfolk pheasant
>No trofie fideos
>No freshmade caraway seed rolls
>No beef filet stovies
>No banoffee gateaux st honore
> No osso bucco on celeriac mash

I mean don't get me wrong, I can make all that stuff too, but I work too long and don't have the time to. Feels so very bad.

Ya, my dad knew just the right way to make eggs and scrapple. Can never get anything close to it. He was like that with a lot of basic foods