What was your latest food discovery, Veeky Forums?

What was your latest food discovery, Veeky Forums?

I found some physalis in a Bangkok grocery shop. They taste like almost like a citric version of cherry tomatoes. I've been eating them like popcorn. If I can find a stable supply of them, they may become a permanent addition to my diet.

That's good then.
Got a couple of plants growing right now and I was a bit worried since I've never tried them before.
Same thing with tomatillo's, got 9 massive plants but never tasted one in my life.

>tomatillo's
Make salsa verde, you won't regret it

These are pretty common in the UK

do you mean corner shop common or waitrose common?

My mom buys these all the time and since you're guaranteed at least one bad fruit in each box, they ended up in her compost, resulting in physalis plants growing up in every single flower pot. One took over half her bathroom and started bearing fruit.

I don't have any recent food discoveries. I've been meaning to broaden my horizons with fruit, trying everything in the grocery store that I haven't tried yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Yeah these are great.

Tried them in thailand and now I'm a fan

How come Thailand has all the best fruit? I don't like fruit normally, but while I was in Thailand I loved the stuff.

too many ants though.

big tesco common

>How come Thailand has all the best fruit?

Cus yer a pleb

climate and geography

As an American, it was being introduced to food that I never thought was edible.

My grandmother taught me how to forage here in Montana. Wild asparagus and things like that. She walked me through the forest and showed me what was edible. As a chef it was an invaluable experience when I was little. She's gone now, but that ability has never left me.

To see the local flora or fauna around me and see what's edible.

It was very important to me.

This. Saw, tried some and they were alright. Bit like gooseberries, desu.

smelly feet fruit juck

aren't these the decorative things they put on your plate that you're not supposed to eat?

Quark. I actually saw someone post it in a thread on here months ago and Germans talking about how rad it is, then forgot about it, but went past it in LIDL the other day and tried it out.

Great shit

They are ridiculously pretty.

I used to grow those in my garden in England many years ago. Taste good too

See other post. I used to grow these in my garden in England. I see them often in larger supermarkets now.

Leberwurst
I think the translation is liver sausage
Didn't like it as a child, then tried some and it taste really nice

Best part is that even good leberwurst is pretty cheap (cheaper than good turkey breast) and that I can smear it on by bread leaving to empty part.

For me it is Mediterranean.

The best fast food sandwich.

Bump

I put this bad boy almost everywhere now

I found physalis on a trip to Germany. Found out it's an American plant, but I had no luck finding any when I came back to the States. Ended up buying seeds and growing more.

Cold-brew coffee.
I thought you needed special equipment to make it but turns out you don't.

That's the only form of coffee I ever drink now.

You are evil

what's different compared to the standard warm drip brew?

Mostly that the taste is more balanced.
Also it might be just me but I feel the effects of caffeine feel "cleaner".

No way

Lemon and cucumber juice

Dude, put a bit of mustard on it (preferabyl Löwensenf, German mustard, best mustard in the world) and eat it along with some cornichons.

t. ein echter Deutscher

Remember to cook them thoroughly, boil them until they're splitting and about to fall apart at the very least, otherwise it will be more tart than you'll like.

I could make so much nice shit if i had a ton of those rhinds

Careful, that stuff can fuck people up. To me it's debilitatingly bitter, can't swallow the stuff. To some others it just tastes like shit.

Interesting. Will give it a try. Thanks for the input

(Over)ripe permissons. They look underwhelming but have some outlandish jelly-like texture and the sweestest taste. I became addicted right away

It's not just that. It's because Thai people seek these things. They seek the best in horticultural excellence and they have the institutions to support that along with royal patronage. For example: a lot of the durian varieties actually originate from Malaysia but the Thais selected or bred finer varieties. And it's something they as a culture have done for a long time in regards to other fruits and plants.

You won't find such wealth of varieties as in neighboring countries or along the tropics even if they have the climate and geography.

these are fantastic
Like you said, best consumed when overripe

i grow aunt mollys in my garden, they taste like creamsicle flavor lifesavers

I don't remember ceekay being this good
So many new things I want to try now
Thought this board was purely centered around hot pockets

White sweet potato.

I haven't eaten it yet and I fully expect it to taste like a normal sweet potato. I just haven't ever seen one in the grocery store before. Normally it's just the orange ones.

>Pomegranate
>Mom sends me a fruit basket
>Has this weird fruit, not sure what it is
>I kept it in the fridge for a week
>Notice at the supermarket that the same fruit is under "anjou pear" sign
>I guess it's just a different type of pear
>Cut it open because I want to eat it in pieces
>THIS IS NOT A PEAR
>Quickly realize from all the reddish seeds that it's a pomegranate
>Look up how to best consume this discovery
>Enjoy the seeds and add a new food to my arsenal.

I know they aren't exactly exotic, but I was pretty surprised.

Got some achacha a while back. They have almost a sherbet flavour/ quality to them. Due to the size of the stone though you would need a metric fuckton to fill you up.

They're pretty good though I'm not a fan of eating the seeds.
They're expensive though, $2.50 on sale for a single pomegranate, and a bit of a pain to cut apart.

I thought you were only supposed to eat the seeds? Either way I agree they are a bit expensive and take some work to take apart. I wouldn't eat it all the time but it's nice to have once in a while.

You are. I don't like eating the seeds themselves. What I like is that little tasty bit around the seeds. I not sure if you'd call it the flesh. I think the flesh is the white part you're not supposed to eat.

I like to put the seeds in a little bit of ice water to chill them. They're good cold.

God damn, they even look like sherbert.

ground cherries? I get them sometimes. One time I found a plant in the middle of St. Paul and ate one.

Look like oranges.