Chicory coffee

I lived in the south a couple years back, and my office mates used to brew this southern coffee blend (their words) that had chicory in it. I miss that coffee. A little research yielded a few brands that make it, but are any of them it? I may never know. But I'm looking for a coffee w/ chicory that's good but not absurdly expensive. And please no Keurig either.

Can anyone recommend a chicory coffee? Med / mild roast preferred.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Café_au_lait#United_States
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My mother is from Holland and when she made what she called 'proper coffee' she always added chicory powder to it. It really makes a difference.

It makes the coffee taste awful and leaves an oily layer in your mug. I wouldn't bother with it. It's not good by itself either

Maybe they had some good old British Camp Coffee?

That's just like, your opinion.

Christ, that's what they give you in jail. Why do that to yourself

Because during the American Civil War, the north's blockage of the south resulted in tea and coffee shortages; but wild chicory was quite common in many areas in the southern US. It became standard to stretch one's coffee rations (as a soldier) or purchased coffee (as a civilian) with ground chicory; after the war, people kept doing it as a habit and a way to save costs. Which mean that companies realized they could market it; and people kept buying it, because chicory-cut coffee was what they were used to.

That was 150 years ago, m8. There isn't a coffee shortage any more

No, but habits are hard to break--and if your parents grew up drinking chicory coffee because THEIR parents grew up drinking chicory coffee because THEIR parents grew up drinking chicory coffee... get what I'm saying?

No

I learned about this from Treme.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Café_au_lait#United_States

So what? The Brits still drink blackberry cordial, and that was brought in as a replacement for orange juice during the war. (The govt. didn't want a scurvy epidemic in addition to everything else they had to deal with.)

Except blackberries are good, whereas chicory is awful

Taste is subjective user.

I love grapefruit, and can't stand strawberries.
Some people like IPAs - I find them disgusting. I love porter and stouts - not too many people I know IRL do.
I love broccoli, brussel sprouts and other green veggies. I love them more than bacon - but I still like bacon.

Why not get chicory powder and coffee to make your own perfect ratio.
I have chicory "coffee substitute" for the evenings but I notice I get
diarrhoea from it.

Ya this seems the best best since you can pick your own coffee too. Chicory coffee is always sold ground anyway.

orzo > chicory

fite me irl

OG chicory coffee

find a Vietnamese grocery store, they love this shit

This. They sell it at Publix.

Cafe Du Monde is always packed as fuck though.

All you'll ever need

If you are to find chicory coffee at a brick and mortar store up north, it's probably going to be these Cafe Du Monde cans. This is fine because it's one of the better chicory blends you can buy.

OP here. I'll be on the lookout for these. I'm in NW Arizona, and the stores I regularly shop at don't have them. Today I'm doing some shopping anyways, and will pop into a few different stores. If I still can't find it, Amazon!

And a couple anons suggested a powder - any specifics? I'll do a little research of my own, but I'd like a recommendation or two. And I'll compare the store bought blend vs. my fave w/ chicory mixed in.

Same story with WWII in Europe

Same story here in capital of the northern europe.. I worked at a place who sold chicorie coffee. it wasnt that bad. definitely had that coffee tastsy.

Yes, except with dandelion and fireweed, not chicory which is an American plant.

no wonder it was used to stretch coffee

can't be that good if it's only use is to replace a proper beverage

You're welcome.

jaja bruddi lassen uns zu Deutschland fliegen fuer ein bisschen kaffee