Soup Thread

It's that time of year again. Cold as fuck outside, cold as fuck inside, and you are hungry. Nothing beats some good ol hot soup. Share your soup recipes for fellow anons trying to survive the winter chill and eat decently during the holiday work rush.

I sometimes make sweet & sour soup. sorry for the lack of specific amounts of ingredients, you kinda have to just eyeball it and go by taste.

>put a quart or two of chicken or turkey stock/broth in pot
>add frozen stir fry vegetables and/or fresh chopped vegetables, depending on how lazy you are
>add seasonings
>ground or grated ginger
>red pepper flakes
>salt or maybe soy sauce
>dollop of honey
>lemon juice to taste
>couple big spoons of apricot jam
>could also add a bit of pineapple juice
>the point is to get a nice mixture of sweet, sour, salty, and spicy
>dice up chicken or turkey, or brown up some ground turkey
>add to soup
>as soon as soup is boiling, add some soup-appropriate noodles
>serve when noodles are done (I don't like super snappy vegetables in soup, I like them a little softer, this seems to get them done enough without being mushy)

sounds weird I guess, but I like it

Loaded baked potato soup

saute several cloves minced garlic in the bottom of a 4 qt. saucepan with a tablespoon each of olive oil and butter,saute garlic light golden brown. remove from heat

fill pan half full of diced russet potatos (skin on or off) add water utill potatos are just covered. boil potatos untill tender throughout. remove from heat add 1 cup heavy cream, 1 cup shredded chedar, 1 tsp coarse black pepper.

use immersion blender thoroughly puree the soup. salt to taste

stir in 1 cup diced sauted bacon and 1 cup chopped scallions immediatly before service

top with dollope of sour cream

No recipe but I FUCKING LOVE PEA SOUP.

this sounds pretty great

ty this is a soup i used to make at work in a college cafeteria so i was making 5 gallons at a time so my measurements are kinda rough

Not at all. Just a bit too sweet maybe but a nice change from the traditional tomato or potato soup.

Me too, user.
Also, I had some fantastic asparagus soup at a restaurant some time ago. It was pretty thin but the taste was ace, I think they strained it and added a bit of cream

White bean soup. Dry limas, navy, or great northern soaked overnight. Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, a few dried hot pepper, smoked ham hock, hambone or pork necks and simmer for 3 hours or so.

frozen mixed vegetables
boullion cube
butter
pepper
garlic

dat it

Okay. do yourself a favor. Find this shit in your local supermarket. usually hanging out in the dry bean section or sometimes ends up in the latino section.

Okay, got it?

now on the back of this bag you need to do EVERYTHING they tell you. STEP BY STEP. Throw in your choice of ham or sausage. Doesnt matter.

You now have GOAT bean soup for the next WEEK and you will LOVE IT.

>using a premade mix
>current year
>JasonAlexandersDick.format

Okay. So this bag pretty much just has a fuckload of random dried beans/peas/lentils and a packet of ham-powder you're probably not even going to use. But the Recipe on the back is legit:

>1 Bag of dried Beans or equal amount of mixed beans. Pintos, Kidneys, Great Northerns, Black Eyed Peas, and red beans work best IMHO
>1 Can of Stewed Or Diced Tomatoes.
>1 yellow onion diced
>3+ cloves of garlic minced
>1+ TBS Chili Powder
>2TBS Lemon Juice
>As much ham, Smoked sausage, bacon, Fresh sausage, and/or hot dogs as you feel you need
>Enough Chicken, Vegetable or Ham stock to cover.

>1. Saute your sausage and onions. Throw your garlic on at the last minute or so so that it wont burn
>2. Dump all that in a slow cooker or stockpot
>3. Throw everything else in. Stock Last
>4. Cook until the beans are fall-apart
>5. Find or Make Some Cornbread
>6. Serve hot, in a bowl, next to warm cornbread. Salt, pepper and Hot-Sauce to taste.

Pumpkin and pepper soup.
About 2 lbs (1 kg) of pumpkin or butternut squash.
4 sweet peppers, yellow or red
1 whole bulb of garlic, sliced in half across the middle (no need to peel)
1 medium onion
1 pint of chicken, ham or bacon stock
I large pinch oregano or mixed herbs
Scant teaspoon cumin powder
Scant teaspoon coriander powder

Add olive or other oil to a roasting pan. Remove seeds, cut pumpkin into sections and rub them in the oil on both sides then dust with the dried herbs.
Put pumpkin and both halves of garlic into a hot oven until soft. Leave to cool.
Meanwhile, fry onion and garlic until transparent, NOT browned. Cut the sweet peppers into strips and fry with the onion until everything is soft. Add spices during cooking.
Scoop out cooled pumpkin flesh into a heavy saucepan. Add some of the stock. Squeeze the soft pulpy garlic into the flesh in the pan.
Using a stick blender, zap the pumpkin, adding stock as necessary.
Add the onions and pepper mix a bit at a time, blending and adding stock until all is smooth.

Roast your pumpkin and garlic like this.

>it's a "American thinks it's actually cold where they live" thread

Tomato sausage soup

I've bought that stuff many times. But the recipe can be GREATLY improved by doing two simple things:

1) Throw away that shitty-ass artificially flavored packet.

2) Use homemade stock instead of water.

>it's a "Canadian thinks anyone cares about Canada outside of Canada" post

Making borscht today, plan on doing a OC/cookalong thread

Imma tell you haw to make some nice asian style vegetable soup

>prep your vegetables
>can be virtually anything
>my usual is julienne carrots and celery, bok choy, thin sliced ginger, leeks, lemon grass, bean sprouts and enoki
>chicken/fish/veg stock in a pot
>throw in some soy sauce, mirin, and a bit of fish sauce
>bring that up to a simmer
>add in your slowest cooking vegetables first
>after a few minutes add in your next slowest cooking vegetables
>repeat
>bean sprouts go in after you put the soup in a bowl
>you can optionally add in meat, tofu, noodles, whatever
>cook it before hand and add it in right at the end to heat