Slow cooker beef curry

Hi faggots. I'm making basic bitch nip curry in my crock pot and you're invited.

This is a simple recipe that anyone with basic motor function can make. Even you can have this for dinner instead of a McChicken.

This is the recipe I'm using: acookingmizer.com/2014/09/28/slow-cooker-sunday-savory-japanese-beef-curry/

For boxed curry I prefer hot Vermont Curry, but this is what the store had. I'll supplement with some chili garlic saus

Alright, first we're chopping some carrots, a big red onion, and a russet potato. My knife is a cheap piece of shit. I'm going to IKEA tonight and will try out their Global knockoff chef knife.

The recipe doesn't call for it, but I'm browning the beef. Last time I posted a follow along here you guys crucified me for not getting a good maillard reaction, so this time I'm using my cast iron on high heat.

There's some brown. I'm gong for rare/medium rare with some good browning, and the slow cooker will cook and break it down over the afternoon.

That's got it, time to fill the crock.

In general, yeah, that's what you want to do. for most dishes the browning is a really important step.

But the browned flavor doesn't really go with Jap curry. This is one of the only times I'd skip the browning.

Well fuck me in my ass man.

Alright, we've got three cups of water, curry blocks, beef, veg. I'm expecting this to come out thinner than when I normally make the curry stove top for katsu.

This is an hour in on high. One more hour on high, then we'll turn it to low for about five hours. I'll steam and add the broccoli about half an hour before serving: don't slow cook broccoli, it's gross.

Adding two tablespoons of this shit for more heat.

Wiped the cast iron clean and oiled it with a paper towel. Once the metal is cold, back under the oven it goes.

I like lots of onions when doing this. I add 2 onions per box. Dice fine so it dissolves into the sauce. I like potatoes in it too

Think I should throw in another onion? I was considering it.

I like to personally. I put carrots and potatoes too.

Alright, I'm thin slicing another red onion.

Three hours in and gave it a little stir. This smells fantastic, getting pretty pumped.

Added the second onion and a little more curry brick. This tastes like nip beef stew

I remember that.
I thought the only difference between low/high on slowcookers was how fast it takes to hit a certain temp?

The manual for mine says high is 250F and low is 190F

Here we are at about 5 hours. The fat has rendered from the beef which is now exceptionally tender, and the curry is richer and silkier than when you make it on the stove top. This is ready to go as is but it's going to keep cooking for about another 90 minutes. I'll add the broccoli and start cooking the rice in about an hour

OP, please do yourself a favor and add some turmeric to that dish to add a little color.

sadly I don't have any in my cupboard. For future reference, is the powdered stuff good enough or do I need to buy fresh like ginger?

Powder has a short shelf life, just get a tiny one if possible. Still good though. Would have turned your dish into a golden delight.

I make curry pretty regularly, will add it to my shopping list. Thanks user

We are nearing completion.

Since we're lazy, let's microwave a bag of frozen florets.

To avoid a crusty film, wash your rice.

>5 hours to make watery curry

You can make thick curry with seasoned meat in under an hour and it will still taste good.

That might get soggy?

Incorporate the broccoli. Since it's already cooked and we're basically good to go, I'm turning it to the "keep warm" setting now. Should be eating in about 20 minutes.

No worries friend, it steamed nicely and I drained it before adding to the crock.

We need one final secret ingredient: a half teaspoon of MSG.

but Japanese curry is already savory. It's salty enough!

Nigga please

Final product. My plating needs work but overall it's pretty lit

Looks dank. I freeze portions for later use too.

Schlafly, huh? You in the greater STL area?

Looks good brah. Smart call to add the extra onions.

I think you did good OP. Would have a beer and a bowl, for sure.

South County famalam

Thanks guys

Good show OP, but can I ask what your rice:water ratio was? Looks gelatinous if I'm being honest here.

You're right, I eyeballed it and used too much. Usually measure it 2:1

If you like wetter rice, then I won't stop you, but typically 1.5:1 is already plenty for short grain rice.

Typically you should use even less than that for fluffy, separate rice, around 1.25. Also the water loss difference between stovetop and an actual rice cooker is negligible. Cheers.

Thanks for the advice user, I'll try that next time.

Five hours to make J-curry from a box? WTF man shiiiiiit?!? It takes less than five hours to make J-curry from SCRATCH! It is time to reevaluate your culinary goals.

>implying 5 hours using a slow cooker equates to 5 hours of actual work

Most decent short grain rices are 1:1 ratio, especially when using a rice cooker that will cook it perfectly. 1.5 is usually for things like Jasmine rice

Would of used brown rice for nutrition, but I guess this post is an eight point seven out of ten.

Thanks senpai

salsa chicken