Hawaiian """food"""

>Hawaiian """food"""

Yes ok

Okay, so it isn't that good. What are you trying to say?
Did you get dumped by a Hawaiian girl or something?

Absolutely fucking delicious.

Brada if you like scrap we fo take it outside. Loco moco is da kine ono.

it is i, the best meme

>white rice, macaroni salad, pico de gallo, pulled pork (?), glass/rice noodles (?), some sort of vegetable in the middle (?)

looks pretty good. would eat.

poke may be the meme food of 2017

try insulting something worth the jab, like eskimo cuisine

Sticky rice (usually eaten with shoyu), mayo laden mac salad, lomi lomi salmon, kalua pork, chicken long rice, pork lau lau (da best).

>meme foods are foods that have been around forever but flyovers only discovered in the past year

>"""moron"""

>>meme foods are foods that have been around forever but flyovers only discovered in the past year
That's how memes work you know. Poke being a big part of Hawaiian food since forever, gets introduced to Cali and becomes big there and then spreads throughout the country.

Why does California ruin everything? Is it the overabundance of sunshine and the lack of water?

L&L > Zippy"s

Both kind of suck compared to non-chain, family run places...

Except the whole idea of meme foods on Veeky Forums is that they're somehow overrated or should be avoided because they're popular, as though I'm supposed to stop eating something I've been enjoying for nearly 30 years just because it was popularized on a youtube channel and a 19 year old in Scandanavia tried it for the first time last year when the first Burger King opened in his village where he could try the shittiest version of those ingredients for the first time in his life and decide they're "just a meme".

>three different colors of shreds!

sounds p good though

fuck no
zippys wins with just the chili moco

What is that strange looking clear noodle?

I tried Hawaiin food in Austin TX of all places. The burger egg gravy rice thing is good. Spam musubi disappointed me. I should've gotten poke and the short ribs.

>the whole idea of meme foods on Veeky Forums is that they're somehow overrated or should be avoided because they're popular
I think this only applies to people on this board who live in backwater places and are terrified of others seeing them as sympathetic to hipster sensibilities. The kind of people whose supermarkets only started carrying limes a few years ago, and they're still suspicious of them.

For the rest of us the idea is irrelevant.

I think the whole premise of meme foods is preposterous and that people take the designation seriously is silly. This is an anime image board that spring forth from like SA and a tentacle hentai IRC chat. Most of us come from totse, Reddit, SA, or other old BBS communities. To no one in particular, but if you're only recourse is to blame rednecks because someone called your admittedly subpar regional cuisine a meme, please kill yourself. Thanks for playing.

shut up faggit

>t. flyover

Looks like the guaranteed reply featureā„¢ worked perfectly. Now to cavort and revel in my Yous. Keep it coming thin-skins.

This usually happens. Same thing with the guy that hated Vietnamese food inexplicably until we found out he got rejected by a Vietmamese girl.

They're made from potato or mung bean starch. Often called glass noodles, or bean thread.

That's chicken long rice, which is a silly name.

Vietnamese, my bad.

>i-i was just trolling!

Not to mention the extra quotation marks means he's a little racist about it, too.

I refuse to believe a shitty little island in the middle of the Pacific even has a valid, unique cuisine. it doesn't.
The natives didn't even have metal. They were lucky to even know about fire. Opening a can of Spam is not "culture".
Fuck Hawaii. A place that exists solely for retired tourists to take cruses has a fake made up culture only so their grandchildren can hear boring stories while looking at shitty vacation pictures.

You need to be a little more subtle with your bait there, user.

born and raised in hawaii, always been appalled by the shitty "local food"

This shit right here is so good.

shut up faggit

Am I incorrect?
Spout some facts, or shut the fuck up. You know I'm right.

>spout some facts

How about that the islands were populated by Polynesians in relatively complete isolation from the outside world for around 1000 years before being discovered by Westerners, and definitely developed a unique cuisine over that period time? How about that people actually live in Hawaii, cook local food, and that it's not just a tourist destination with made up tourist food?

It's fucking weird. Like they just grabbed everything that was on sale at the local grocery store and cooked it together.

Like, bury any garbage they could find in the sand with hot rocks? Didn't every ancient people do exactly this? That doesn't make it good, interesting, or appealing.
List your five favorite Hawaiian dishes, and then we can discuss them.

youre right. in the town i lived in, chump tourists would pay an extra $30 just to have some shit thrown in an imu.

Pork lau lau, squid luau, huli huli chicken, manapua, saimin.

That's just off the top of my head. Obviously there's plenty of fresh fish, and it's the only state that allows you to serve raw fish without it being previously frozen.

I lived in Florida forever, now in Montana, literally never been to a place that sells hawaiian food, chain or otherwise. What am I missing and where can i find these joints

Can't be bothered to research that. Is that cruise ship food for tourists, or are actual natives cooking this up with their federal food stamps?
Did pork and chicken even exist here before civilized people discovered the islands?

>wants to argue about hawaiian food
>doesn't know the first thing about hawaiian food

Pork and chicken were introduced by Capt Cook, though the first two are otherwise Ancient Hawaiian dishes. The last three adopt things from other Asian cultures, but are more or less distinctively Hawaiian.

youre retarded
the polynesians introduced both pigs and chickens to hawaii. they put those fuckers, plus dogs, on their outriggers

Eh, I learned that shit in school like 20 years ago...

>What am I missing
Its basically spam and pineapple pizza

It's because it's an island; food is expensive to fly or ship there and people used to eat a lot of easily shipped canned food like Spam. Also lots of Japanese move there so it's a mix of Hawaiian and Japanese cuisine with these weird canned foods.

Someone explain macaroni salad, why is that shit so popular in Hawaiian food? Fucking makes me want to throw it all out the moment I taste any bit of it, but the rest of the food is absolutely delicious.

>all these assblasted white people
You guys don't need to defend or get offended on behalf of minorities.

>minorities

Nobody is defending minorities. People talking about Hawaiian food are most likely kamaainas, not native Hawaiians.

The only right answer

Plantation lunches. No one knows for sure, but the theory I've heard was it used to be potato salad, but dried pasta was less perishable and cheaper, so it became the standard.

The fuck are you babbling about? "hawaiian" cuisine is bastardized japanese with random shit like mac and cheese and gravy on rice thrown in.

>adopted from other cuisines
>distinctively hawaiian
People will appropriate anything to form a "unique" identity, but that doesn't mean you should be proud of it and pretend it's original.

If hawaiian cuisine has changed more in the last 100 years, mainly by importing other country's dishes and tweaking them, than the 1000 years of "traditional cuisine" before that, then it was shit before. Only people who have no experience with the food "hawaiian" is derived from find it mildly unique.

t. disappointed tourist

>disappointed tourist
Having high expectations about a cuisine that treasures macaroni salad made with overcooked pasta and tons of mayo and has a fondness for Spam was your mistake.

I think it's already a meme, a bunch of poke places popped up this past summer in nyc. Seems like most of them follow the chipotle model of customizing your fast food poke bowl haha

True, but I didn't expect food options to be that bad given how popular and hyped it is. Few people who go to hawaii have complained about the food, so I thought the spam worship was just a quirk.

>eskimo cuisine
can we not?

Fuck you I like Poke

Few people complain about the food in Costa Rica either, but having been a couple times I can say there isn't much going on there foodwise, either. Most places with a serious tourist economy don't have to give a shit about food, because they have a captive audience. Even in a great food city like NYC where do you find a ton of truly awful, overpriced restaurants? Times Square, of course. Good food and tourism rarely go together.

I'd say most east asian countries are both great tourist destinations and have great, cheap food. Aside from the lack of meat, I was in food heaven while in china.

>I was in food heaven while in china.
But you wouldn't describe China as a tourist economy, would you?

Cellophane noodles